These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

Line6 M5 vs. FM4
by D-Dave on 2012-04-15 16:35:29

I’ve been looking into purchasing a Line6 FM4, however, I was informed about the Line6 M5/M9/M13 pedals that apparently did everything the FM4 does plus more.  After looking at numerous retailers, not only was the M5 cheaper than the FM4 but it seemed to be in stock at more places.  I was almost going to switch gears and buy a Line6 M5 when I started thinking about my past pedals.  My first pedal was a Digitech EX-7 which was very impressive at the time (since I didn’t have any effect or distortion pedals), however I was blown away at how much better the Digitech Whammy DT was over the Whammy effect in the EX-7.

I suppose that the difference with the Line6 pedals is that the M5 is digital vs. the analog FM4 while the EX-7 is analog attempting to compete with an analog Whammy pedal.  My question is: is the quality of the Line6 M5 filters the same (or comparable) to the Line6 FM4?

Re: Line6 M5 vs. FM4
by phil_m on 2012-04-15 18:02:15

Some people do claim to hear a slight difference between the 4-button stomps and the M-series pedals, but for all intents and purposes, the algorithms for the effects are nearly identical. I don't think you'd notice a big difference.

It doesn't really have much to do with you question, but both the Digitech pedals you mentioned - the EX-7 and the Whammy - are digital, too. They aren't analog.

by D-Dave on 2012-04-15 19:16:26

Thanks for the reply phil_m. As far as the differences in sound, is it more of a difference in the sound signature?  I’m assuming that it’s merely a difference in its overall sound, I would just like some verification on this.  As for my Digitech pedals, what made my Whammy DT better than my EX-7 in whammy effects is the fact that the Whammy DT handles multiple notes/chords much more positively.

As for your comment of the Digitech pedals, that was a mistake in my writing logic that I'll own up to (Digitech…digit[al]).  I was attempting to draw conclusions as to why the M5 and FM4 comparison would be different to the two Digitech pedals I have and was only paying attention to the digital display on the Line6 M5  .

by phil_m on 2012-04-16 06:12:43

Well, I'm a little hesitant to speak about the FM4 since that's the one 4-button stomp I've never owned, but I can say this. Before I got the M13, I had the DM4, MM4, and DL4. Once I got the M13 I sold them all, and I never regretted it one bit. The M13 easily replaced them all, and I think the effects on the M13 sound just as good if not better than all the ones that were on those. I think you'll be very happy with the M5. It's just a much more flexible unit. Here's a list of things I can think of off the top of my head it gives you above the FM4 - all the M-series effects, a tuner, 24 presets (with preset naming), MIDI controlability, and a noise gate.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.