These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

VDI right angle cable?
by Kupsik on 2012-04-16 21:15:36

I was wondering, does anyone know if some manufcturer makes right-angled connector that could be used on VDI cable for connecting Variax and other Line6 staff? I did some googling, but haven't found any usefull information about that.

Or does anyone here has some DIY solution for this?

Re: VDI right angle cable?
by MerlinFL on 2012-04-17 09:54:21

No - There is no such cable currently being made.  It might be a good idea, but I've personally never found any problems having a straight jack sticking out of the guitar.

I guess to get something like this done, there would have to be enough demand to wrrant tooling up to make such a cable.

If this were going to be made, I suggest making a cable similar to the Planet Waves cable for XLR connections that has a swivel to allow for any position from stright to right angle.  One cable would work for any situation and probably make the most sense to create.

Just my 2 cents,

Neal

by litesnsirens on 2012-04-17 10:21:42

I would like a right angle for the HD500 end.  Then I could just leave it plugged in and it could go into the gig bag without worrying about putting any strain on the cable.  No other reason than so it's not a biggie but if it was available I would probably buy one and keep my current one as a spare since it is interchangeable with the Tone Match cables for my Bose L1 systems.  Actually since I'm thinking out loud, I think I saw on the Bose forums that there was a company that would make special cables (as well as stock) for all stuff Bose.  I'll have to see if I can find it and report back.

by MerlinFL on 2012-04-17 14:58:39

I guess I'm not understanding your performance or storage requirements correctly.  I would never recommend to anyone with any guitar to leave a cable plugged in when storing it in a case or bag.  Far too many chances for a very big problem to happen with storage like that. 

But again - I'm probably misunderstanding your description.

Take care,

Neal

by litesnsirens on 2012-04-17 15:39:24

Oh I left out a big part of the equation ... sorry, I have my HD500 mounted to a pedal train and its set back 1.5 to 2" from the front edge of the pedal train.  I have all right angle cables attached to the HD500, except for the VDI cable which I'm forced to unplug.  So since I have that buffer of a couple of inches when the whole unit is in the gig back it rests on the front edge of the pedal train and the HD500 and all the connected cables are not touching anything. 

by sdunmire on 2012-04-17 15:49:21

Oh, that makes much more sense!  I am actually building a custom case for this reason.  But a custom cable would be MUCH easier~maybe I'm going about this the wrong way!

by MerlinFL on 2012-04-17 16:47:46

Got it - 100% understanding has been acheived. 

by Kupsik on 2012-04-20 10:35:30

I have just ordered Neutrik EtherCon connector - it's what's in VDI cable. I will try to make some kind of DIY right angled connector from it, hope it won't look that bad. I will post here as soon as I have results ;-)

by Kupsik on 2012-04-25 21:08:58

I am making some progress with this DIY right angled connector, I might have something to show others during weekend. It's not looking that bad as I have feared ;-)

by litesnsirens on 2012-04-25 22:00:37

Im looking forward to seeing the finished product. 

by Kupsik on 2012-04-26 10:45:49

2012-04-26 19.34.51.jpg

So this is how it might look if there is no problem. I used normal ethernet cable for testing. Now I need something to cover upper hole. I might try to use rubber cover of VDI connector from HD500. Also I need to find some really good glue to make it last few years of hard gigging ;-)

by litesnsirens on 2012-04-26 10:56:59

Oh ya that would be sweet for me. 

by Line6Hugo on 2012-04-27 09:21:12

Unfortunately, we do not know of any manufacturer that makes right-angle VDI cables.  That's not to say it's not a good idea.  Good luck on the DIY cable with this right angle connector.

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by Kupsik on 2012-05-06 00:19:33

So finally I've managed to finish this little project. You can see result below, I think it doesn't look that bad ;-) I used only basic tools - sharp knife, sandpaper and as you can see some insulating tape. I've already tried this new cable, works without any problem. Also there is no problem to connect or disconnect it from my JTV-69. I need to try it on stage to see how long it will last, but at home it works flawlessly. I might make another version using some special glue if there is problem with insulating tape not holding it properly...

IMG_1355.jpg

Here is some aditional info: Below you can see some parts I've "modified" to accomplish this DIY work. I'Ve used only what's  part of EtherCon connector used in original VDI cable, nothing more, just rubber cover of VDI connector from HD500 to cover the top of the connector. Also, I had to cut RJ45 connector and make new one (special crimping pliers of RJ45 needed). I didn't replace VDI cable, just connector on one side because VDI cable is more flexible than standard ethernet cable.

IMG_1345.jpg

IMG_1347.jpg

IMG_1349.jpg

by litesnsirens on 2012-05-06 08:25:21

Thanks for posting, I may give this a shot.  Since the angle end will be going into the HD500 and not the JTV (and staying there) I'm hopeful that it will hold up.

by player99 on 2012-05-13 21:50:59

Perhaps you could seal up the opening and the metal to where it needs to be bare and dip the rest of your diy jack in that liquid plastic that is used to coat out plier handles.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.