These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

How do I load the old acoustic models into custom 2 after upgrading to 1.81?
by chrispdyer7 on 2012-04-17 09:48:02

I upgraded the firmware, and would like to have all the acoustic sounds (old and new).  In the workbench, I have no idea which one is which, or if I can even see the old models.  Please help.

Re: How do I load the old acoustic models into custom 2 after upgrading to 1.81?
by daferalo on 2012-04-17 11:44:37

Hi,

If you had your JTV updated to the newest 1.8 flash memory, then the only acoustic models you have would be the "new" ones (as you call them). It is a matter of preference, but IMHO I think that these new models are much better than the old ones, plus if you had a POD HD 500 pedal, you can have more sweet features!!!

There is no way to have the old acoustic models and the new ones at the same time. If you prefer the old ones, then the only way to get them back is by rolling back to the previous firmware version. But if doing so, you would not have the new ones and the added features.

Best Regards,

Daf

Re: How do I load the old acoustic models into custom 2 after upgrading to 1.81?
by silverhead on 2012-04-17 11:44:45

Unfortunately you can't do what you want. The DSP software for the acoustic models is embedded in the firmware. The DSP modeling for AC1 to AC5 is different in the previous and current firmware. The model tweaking that you can do in Workbench is all based on the firmware that is present in the Variax device, and there is no firmware version that contains both old and new acoustic DSP modeling.

by litesnsirens on 2012-04-17 13:09:52

I've said it before, and despite the fact that I think the new models are far better than the old ones, there are enough people on here that prefer the old tones it would be nice of Line 6 to offer and in between upgrade that offers the new features with the old models.  You know, sometimes I have these thoughts like "oh wouldn't it be cool if they offered some other pick up options or some other models and we could choose what we want to load into our guitars".   But then I have a reality check and remind myself that there is a ton of stuff already in the guitar and with workbench it really is almost infinite.  You want active sounding pickups? just crank up the volume of the pickup you like in workbench.  So many combinations are possible in workbench the more you play around in there the less you feel the need for more stuff.  But I will say that we have the least tonal shaping possibilities in the acoustics.  You can mess with the 12 string settings and you can set a default position of the tone knob but not much else so if guys think they are getting a better sound with the old models I think they should have access without giving up the newest features of the JTV.  IF I could ask for variax features it would only be on the acoustic models, as I said I think electric side is covered really well, I would ask for individual string volume settings and either a nice big graphic EQ or a 3 or 4 band parametric EQ that we can use in workbench to shape the acoustic tone.  I don't know if it's even remotely possible but I think it would offer all the tweaks that we need for the acoustic models.

by stevekc on 2012-04-18 17:37:45

Wow -  the new 1.81 firmware for Tyler Variax Acoustic Models are really a departure from the prior models, and I feel they really detract from the overall experience of the new firmware.  They are way too "airy" and boxy, with very little definition and immediacy  - who the hell approved these for public release?  Regarding the new recent HD500  / Tyler Variax / HD Edit updates in the past 30 days, Its 10 steps ahead and 3 steps back. I really hate these new acoustic models in my Tyler Variax.

Sure wish a future firmware update could provide the Tyler Variax with a similar set of Acoustic tones as the 2006 era Variax 700 Acoustic - with Nylon models too.

<a target=new href=http://www.zikinf.com/_gfx/matos/dyn/large/line-6-variax-acoustic-700.jpg"class="jive-image" src="http://www.zikinf.com/_gfx/matos/dyn/large/line-6-variax-acoustic-700.jpg"/> 

by jdenkevitz on 2012-04-19 23:04:15

I also would like to have the capability of loading in the older acoustic models, without having to sacrifice the other new functions in firmware 1.81.

After much tweaking, and creating new patches from scratch, I prefer the older models for live performance. The new models have a 'distant' feel and get lost in a live mix with a band.

The capactity to run both, or to swap them in workbench, would be greatly appreciated.

by edstar1960 on 2012-04-20 02:09:45

Has anyone submitted the ability to access the old v1.71 acoustic models alongside the new 1.81 models to the product suggestion box yet?  Seems a fair few people would like that ability - if it is possible. 

by edstar1960 on 2012-04-20 02:25:49

Hi litesnsirens, I like your thinking!  Have you submitted those suggestions to the product feedback team?  They all sound like great ideas to me!

Cheers

Eddie

by Line6Hugo on 2012-04-27 10:37:02

Hello,

As the new models replace the old existing models, it is not possible for the old and new acoustic models to live in the electronics at the same time.

Please submit a feature request for this at the following link:

http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/

Regards,

Line6Hugo

">http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/">http://line6.com/company/contact/productfeedback/

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by MerlinFL on 2012-04-27 10:49:33

I also posted a copy of this in another forum where you were discussing the JTV 1.81 problems...

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Hugo - can you confirm my support ticket has been received? 

And also if this is within your scope of things...could you let me know if my JTV bank suggestion of using Custom Bank 1 for the 1.71 Acoustic Models and the typical Acoustic bank still for the 1.81 models has been received by the people who get those submissions?  I submitted it at the link you posted above this post. 

Not much allowed room to explain a thought in any detail.  It would be an excellent feature if the page had a character counter like YouTube and other sites have when typing comments, replies, etc. so you don't find out it's too long after you've finished writing and it deletes everything while stating the message exceed the maximum character limit.  Very frustrating to type something only to have it erased if it's too long by even one character.

I submitted this suggestion over two weeks ago after reading all the posts stating they prefer the older acoustic patch sound, but yet still want the 1.81 functionality.  I thought having one of the Custom Banks used for this purpose would be an excellent option for all the JTV users who like either version of acoustic guitar models.  Plus if able to be done quickly, it would be a resolve to the alt tuning problem with the 1.81 acoustic patches until that issue is resolved.

It seems to me like a "win-win" scenario as the Custom banks really don't have any unique guitar models or tones in either of them. And based on the stock models in both Custom Banks all the way back to the first Variax guitar model banks, Custom Bank 1 doesn't even have any alternate tuned patches like Custom Bank 2 does.

Of course I'm not a tech writer and think it would be fairly easy to change one bank for another?  I might be presuming incorrectly, but its not like anything new would have to be written since that bank of patches already exists.

Any answer to my questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Neal

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.