These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

SV mkII 112 direct out comes at half signal.
by bimmerfreak10 on 2012-04-21 07:34:12

I recently purchased a spider valve 112, and I really couldn't be happier with it. But I'm having a weird issue. I have a Line 6 UX1 for recording, and am using Ableton live 8.1.1. I purchased an xlr to 1/4'' and am running the direct out on the back of the amp into the instrument input on the UX1. When I monitor the signal, it comes out at half volume on Ableton and on POD farm. I figured maybe it was because I was using a balanced end on the 1/4'' side, so I then went on got a XLR to 1/4'' mono (which is a pain in the butt to find). Same thing. I've tried adjusting various things on the amp, on POD farm and Ableton, and nothing makes a difference. I tried the settings of Studio versus Performance in the amp, tried the grnd and lft switch on the back of the amp, all to no avail. I don't want to use the power amp out because I want the tube sound to come out in my recordings. Anyone else had any experience with this that can help?

Re: SV mkII 112 direct out comes at half signal.
by bimmerfreak10 on 2012-04-21 07:36:30

Should probably have noted that when the guitar is plugged directly into the UX1, I get full signal at POD farm and Ableton. So it's most likely not the interface itself, and everything I have is fairly new (less than six months old) save for my guitars. Thanks

Re: SV mkII 112 direct out comes at half signal.
by Kneehow on 2012-05-22 14:33:40

Best would be to "mic" the Spider Valve" 12" speaker, to be honest. That's the only way you'll ever capture the power tubes interaction with the modelled signal and any speaker filtering that your ears actually hear in real life.

Otherwise, I'd just go straight into the UX1 and POD Farm for silent recording as a personal recommendation.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.