These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Connecting HD Pro to tube amp head?
by jacetaylor on 2012-04-24 15:30:41

Hello,

I had posted on here probably a couple weeks ago asking for advice on the HD Pro, and since have ordered one.  It was delivered today and I can't wait to get home and start messing with it.  Just wanted to see if I could get a detailed explanation on the best way to connect it to my tube amp head & bypass the head's preamp. 

I am using a B-52 ATX100 all-tube head that has an effects loop.  I've glanced over several connectivity options but being new to multi effects processors I wanted to make sure to connect it the best possible way to get the best tone

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated.

Jace

Message was edited by: jacetaylor  >>> "Just wanted to see if I could get a detailed explanation on the best way to connect it to my tube amp head & bypass the head's preamp.  Sorry for typing errors, my computer is down and doing this from my iPhone

Re: Connecting HD Pro to tube amp head?
by jimsreynolds on 2012-04-25 02:21:43

For a Direct Connection into your amp's power amp: the Cable hookup is

Guitar --> HD500 In

HD500 Left 1/4" Out --> Amp FX Loop return

The Amp FX Loop Return may also be labelled as 'Power Amp In'.  Make sure that the Amp Loop is turned on.  If the loop has a switch allowing you to choose between stompbox level (-10dB) or line level (+4dB) then set it to line level. 

Note:  You may (or may not) need a 'dummy' patch cable plugged into the Amp FX Send/Pre-Amp Out socket to make the loop work.  The other end of the cable is not plugged into anything.

If the amp has a 'Parallel' Loop then turn it to 100% Effected/Wet.  Some Parallel Loops (e.g. Bognor Alchemist) always have a mix between effected and uneffected signal even with the parallel loop level at 100% and these can cause problems with your tone.  Most effect loops are still 'Serial' and these tend to work better with MultiFx.

The HD setup goes

• 1/4" Out switch = 'amp' (if the output is way to quiet then you may need to go up to to 'line')
  • Master Knob = 100% on. 
  • Output = 'Combo Power Amp' or 'Stack Power Amp' as appropriate (this is found and changed in the HD System Settings)
  • Normal/Pad switch  = 'Normal' unless you hear unwanted clipping distortion then turn to 'Pad'
  • Mixer panned centre at 0dB.  Increase the volume until the level seems about right
  • If your guitar pickups are very hot and you hear 'unmusical' clipping distortion then you might want to set your input settings to Input 1 = Guitar, Input 2 = Variax

You would nearly always want to use an Amp Model turned on.  Without one the setup will sound very dead.  Start by using a 'Pre' model (listed after the full amps in the list of amps) and see how that sounds.

Re: Connecting HD Pro to tube amp head?
by jacetaylor on 2012-04-27 09:38:56

Thank you for the detailed response.  Works great. Thank you!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.