These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Variax Guitars / Bass / Workbench

JTV Firmware Update-Old Variax
by chatterton on 2012-04-25 12:08:09

Will the new JTV firmware update work on the variax 300-600-700s? If not, is therre a way to get access to the new acoustic models with an older variax?

Re: JTV Firmware Update-Old Variax
by silverhead on 2012-04-25 12:47:27

Unfortunately, the answers are No and No.

by chatterton on 2012-04-25 14:08:21

Thank you, Silverhead. That is unfortunate. There's gotta be a way.

by silverhead on 2012-04-25 14:12:56

I think it would require a hardware upgrade to the older Variaxes, and that is not likely to be developed and offered. As I understand it the JTV firmware, and in particular the new acoustic modeling, takes advantage of additional DSP power that is built into the JTV series. The older models simply can't handle the processing requirements.

by chatterton on 2012-04-25 14:23:33

That makes sense. At least this means that Line 6 is still committed to Variax tech. Guess I'll have to move up to a JTV at some point.

by mdmayfield on 2012-05-15 14:17:45

It wouldn't be as simple as forcing the new firmware into the old Variax - that would be like booting up your old 486 with a Windows 7 install disc and expecting it to work.

It's conceivable that the processor inside the old Variax is theoretically capable of some improvements, such as reduced "plink" or some limited aspects of the new models. But, only the software engineers who work at Line 6 would know for sure. They're the only ones who have the source code, and they would have to tweak/debug/recompile it for the old DSP and put time & energy into figuring out what to leave out due to the old Variax's limitations.

At first, I thought they might issue one last firmware update for the 300/500/600/700; but since it's been so long, I now seriously doubt Line 6 are going to put any more resources into firmware for the old Variaxes.

by culbuto on 2012-05-16 14:52:24

...and you, "righty" players car still expect for a future up to date Tyler Variax as a replacment.

We lefties just can listen and cry...

by TheRealZap on 2012-05-16 16:11:39

the "plink" of the original variax models was attributed to the piezo pickups and the LR Baggs bridge design...

which were redesigned for the JTV models... as in hardware upgraded... as in no can do on the original variaxes...

by mdmayfield on 2012-05-16 18:37:57

I seem to recall Rich R. said that is was both software + a new bridge design, both... and that they were thinking about possibly making an upgrade for the old Variax. I'm not holding my breath though.

by TheRealZap on 2012-05-16 18:55:13

yeah that's true... the software also plays a part, wonder if the older variaxes might already be benefitting from that though?

i'd not heard about possible upgrades though...

but a budget variax with JTV guts would be a great idea... as they are a bit cost restrictive.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.