These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

Tubes go Mid gig - options?
by paligulus on 2012-04-26 07:16:42

Hi Folks,

I have ordered a DT25 and this will be my first tube amp.

I will be using the DT25 with the POD HD300.  I am currently just using the HD300 Line out straight to desk.  I plan to use the Line out from the DT25 as the reviews have been very good.

I am assuming this will sound somewhat "better" as the DT25 use the tubes to some extent for Line out right?

Anyway, if the tubes blow in the amp mid gig - what is the best option?  It seems like it should be quick to bypass tubes in a gig situation so I am just wondering what users would do,

Thanks,

Re: Tubes go Mid gig - options?
by bartpuglise on 2012-04-26 10:13:35

I have a DT50 and a HD 500. I have 2. Setlists with the same patches but one is set up with pre-amp settings(for DT 50) and one set up with full amp models(for direct to PA) If the tubes take a sh*t switch over to other setlist go direct out of HD*** and keep playing!!!!

by hollis1003 on 2012-04-26 12:13:48

I have the same thing.  I also use the full amp models to practice at home, plugging an mp3 player into the POD.

Also, if the POD HD takes a dump I can play straight through the DT-50 if needed.

With the DT-25 you can go into Low volume mode (LVM) and then you DO NOT have to have the speaker connected to get the direct output to work.  However, you will not be hearing real tubes.  If you are using the tubes it MUST BE plugged into a speaker or a "load box".  If you do not, you will damage the amp.

by paligulus on 2012-04-27 05:26:46

I thought about having two setlists initially, as I already have full amp models with my HD300, which I go straight into PA.  I will do this anyway - thanks.

However, if I switch to Low Power Mode, can I still use the DT25 if the tubes blow?  That way I can still use the speaker as monitor?

Cheers

by TheRealZap on 2012-04-27 06:11:30

you can also, have the amp serviced and order matched set tubes, so that you have spares that can be swapped without being re-biased/serviced....

i don't think that this would be a common scenario... so you might be over-thinking it a bit.

by paligulus on 2012-04-27 17:13:57

I guess my real question is, does putting the amp in low power mode disable the tubes?

If it does, can the amp be used with broken tubes in LPM?

by spikey on 2012-04-27 19:50:12

paligulus wrote:

Anyway, if the tubes blow in the amp mid gig - what is the best option? 

I would say if this happened to me I would think about changing equipment manufacturers asap... I would hope that Zap is correct in that this prob. isnt very common.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.