These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Editor crash, HD500 hang-up and stuck in boot-up loop... lost EVERYTHING!
by mcirak on 2012-04-27 10:24:42

My HD500 and the Editor were fully up to date, just did it today. I'm still exhausted from more than 3 hours of creating new patches. I was almost finished, just adding a wah-pedal to a solo patch.

While I was trying out wah-pedals, the Editor crashed. Restarting it, it didn't recognize the HD500 anymore. So I restarted the HD500. That's when the HD500 got stuck in the start-up loop. Just the Line6 logo appearing and reloading ad infinitum. Pressing down on start-up and re-flashing didn't solve it.

I had to reset to global settings, losing everything.

HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN!?!

Re: Editor crash, HD500 hang-up and stuck in boot-up loop... lost EVERYTHING!
by Michikawa on 2012-04-27 11:37:53

I feel you mate, I had the exactly same thing happen to me just a minute ago. The newest version of the Edit program just couldn't load any patches but the first two and a error message pop up appeared after which the HD500 started that start-up loop. Now it isn't recognized by the edit. I ended up doing the global reset as well - luckily it fixed the problem but I lost all the custom patches of course as well.

Line-6, you should really look into this. Sadly I can't give any good reason or analysis because I had to boot my computer as well and don't remember the exact details, but the error appeared when I ran the edit program while HD500 was connected to the computer. Nothing special in the situation. For some reason during the patch loading the editor threw a error dialog where it mentioned that some patches couldn't be loaded (if I remember correctly it mentioned that operation timed out or something 0X000008) then it mentioned that some of the patches were rewritten as broken or something. After this the HD500 reboot started the infinite loop.

by mcirak on 2012-04-27 11:39:39

Hold the left-arrow on the d-pad when starting up, m8. Thanks for your empathy.

edit: just to be sure it's clear, you're gonna lose all your presets when you do it.

edit2: apparently, you're also gonna have to re-calibrate the pedal:

Hold the down the RIGHT ARROW button on the 4 Way Nav Pad while powering the unit on, until you see the “Test Mode” screen (Pedal Cal, etc.), and then proceed with the steps below:

1. If not already selected, use  on the 4 Way Nav Pad to select “Pedal Cal,” as shown above.
  2. Press the VIEW button.
  3. Set the pedal to the minimum “heel” position, then press the A footswitch to set a value for the Duty Cycle. You’ll see the value set to “100.”
  4. Set the pedal to the maximum “toe” position, then press the B footswitch to set a value for the Duty Cycle. Again, you’ll see the value set to “100,” as in step 3.
  5. Press the C footswitch to prepare for automatic selection of the Scaled Pedal Value and move the pedal from min. to max. You should see the Scaled Pedal Values read “0” at the heel position and “255” and the toe position. If you get values other than 0 and 255, power off and repeat these steps, starting at step 1.
  6. Press the D footswitch to save the settings. You’ll be returned to the Test Mode screen and the Pedal Cal item will show a “P” to indicated that the pedal calibration is complete! Power your device off and back on again to start using it.

by Michikawa on 2012-04-27 11:47:48

Thanks! Got it working again

By the way: for some reason the global reset didn't destroy my user bank patches... I wonder why?

by TheRealZap on 2012-04-27 11:59:59

it never does... it only resets the settings, not the tones.

by mcirak on 2012-04-27 12:16:18

Then how'd my patches get deleted? Was it the crash?

by TheRealZap on 2012-04-27 12:24:04

i'd suspect that happened during one of your susequent attempts at re-flashing....

feel free to backup your bundle and try the reset... your patches will still be intact.

by mcirak on 2012-04-27 12:27:54

Argh, that's tragic. Anyways, thanks for your assistance guys.

by MerlinFL on 2012-04-27 23:42:30

Same thing happened to me, too bad this was not added onto my post about getting stuck in a boot loop.  A search would have probably found my post.  Luckily, I was able to figure out what was wrong and fixed it myself.

I presume you've gotten all the help you need here and I'm sorry you are going through what I did a couple weeks ago.

Best of luck,

Neal

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.