These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

HD500 Variax Model selection causes Power Off/Power On reset
by edstar1960 on 2012-04-30 05:21:09

Using HD500 at flash 2.02 and JTV 59 at flash 1.71 connected via VDI.

Yesterday manually programming a patch on the HD500.

Held down VIEW button to enter SETUP screens, navigated to page 7/10.  Knob 2 controls the Variax Model selection.  Default seems to be F:T-Model-1 with Tone on 85% but I wanted to change it to F:Lester-1 - so I used knob 2 to scroll through to the Lester factory bank but when I selected Lester-1 it automatically rolled past into SPECIAL-5 - so I tried a few times and to my surprise noticed that it would not remain on F:LESTER-1 - then on about the 3rd or 4th attempt the unit simply powered off and back on.   Very odd.  Anyway I then programmed in the model using the JTV controls.

Today manualluy programming a patch on the HD500.

Once again I had navigated to setup page 7/10 and was presented with the default F:T-Model-1 and scrolled to  F:Lester-1 and once more it powered the unit off and on.  So yesterday was not just a glitch - it does appear to be a bug.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour with their HD500 at flash 2.02 with a JTV at 1.71 connected or a JTV at 1.81 connected?

Can anyone reproduce this behaviour?

Thanks.

Best Regards

Eddie

Re: HD500 Variax Model selection causes Power Off/Power On reset
by hurghanico on 2012-04-30 09:15:43

I have your same problem with my Variax 700 electric when I turn the multifunction knob 2 (Variax Model selection) on the HD500 (firmware 2.02) under system menu , I tried again several times and each time the freeze/reboot happened again ..

I think that does not depends on which Variax you connect, I read about other people with other Variax guitars that have the same problem..

by edstar1960 on 2012-04-30 09:55:41

Thanks for confirming that you have also encountered this problem with the earlier Variax and therefore can pinpoint it as an HD500 v2.02 bug.

Please can you point me at the other threads where you have read other people have hit this problem?  It would be useful to post links in this thread if possible so we can keep all occurrences in one place and it will be easier for Line6 to see just how many people have hit this problem.  Thanks in advance.

by hurghanico on 2012-04-30 15:04:37

have a look here:

http://line6.com/support/thread/83128

by johnnyayyy on 2012-04-30 23:32:38

I have an open support ticket for this issue, today received message from L6:

"Hi,

I have just reproed this and am informing engineering"

So hopefully a fix will be forthcoming.

I have not experienced the reboot when selecting Variax models in the drop down menu in Edit, I think this might be a good temporary workaround when creating or modifying patches.

I find that if I turn the HD controller 2 or the model selector on the Variax VERY slowly I can usually avoid the reboot, but this is extremely tedious if going from say Spank to Resonator. I also seem to freeze the HD slightly less often when using the control on the Variax instead of the HD selector knob #2.

by edstar1960 on 2012-05-01 02:01:31

Thanks very much for posting the link!

by edstar1960 on 2012-05-01 02:04:42

Thank you jonnyayyy!  Glad to know its not just me and that L6 have reproduced the issue and are working on a fix!  Guess that saves me from opening a support ticket!  

by edstar1960 on 2012-05-02 02:47:38

The link you posted was to johnnyayy's thread about this problem and that thread now contains the correct answer which is "this is a bug and Line6 will be addressing it with next HD500 firmware upgrade".

So as you posted the link first to the thread you effectively provided the answer to my question.  Thanks very much!

Thanks very much also to johnnyayy for posting his update and also answering the question!  Wish I could award two correct answers!  Thank you both!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.