These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Variax VDI connection via Ethernet ?
by pjwr2004 on 2012-04-30 07:43:34

Hi everyone,

I just bought a Korean JTV-69 Sunburst! I can't express how thrilled I am about getting my hands on it! I have a question about connectivity: I just recently purchased a Pod HD500. Obviously I would like to use the VDI connection with the JTV-69. I just realized that the guitar does NOT come with that cable and I will need to buy separately.  Is is possible to use a Cat 5e or Cat 6 (Ethernet) cable to connect the JTV-69 to the POD HD500? I have lots of those lying around.  If so, will it "snap" into the jack? I realize the VDI cable is rounded and may have it's own locking mechanism.

Note that this is just temporary until I can buy the cable. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your advise,

Paul

Re: Variax VDI connection via Ethernet ?
by silverhead on 2012-04-30 07:58:33

Your JTV-69 should include a Workbench hardware interface and a cable that connects your JTV to it. I would use this cable as your interim solution. It is protected on one end (for connection to the JTV) and not protected on the other end. Connect this other end to your HD500 VDI input and use this setup until your VDI cable (protected on both ends) arrives.

by pjwr2004 on 2012-04-30 08:06:08

Is the cable that's included long enough for stage use? When you say "protected", what do you mean?

Also, back to my question about a Cat 5e/6 cable; is that possible?

Thanks for your input,

Paul

by silverhead on 2012-04-30 08:14:15

It's not very long - you'd have to try it out to see if it's long enough for your stage use.

By 'protected' I mean that the cable ends are shielded in a round housing, and kept rigid so that the connector inside the shield is prevented from damage and movement while connected.

Yes, a standard Ethernet cable will work. Just be careful about keeping the cable ends securely in place. Stage use is not recommended - there will likely be movement of the cable ends within the jack due to the stress placed on the cable (both ends) while you are moving around on stage.

by pjwr2004 on 2012-04-30 08:20:08

Makes perfect sense. Thanks so much!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.