These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Line 6 UX2 problems
by Atheist-666 on 2012-04-30 13:21:41

I solved it !!!!

I resetted the BIOS (not like tried before with setting it to defaults in the BIOS itself of my computer, i made it with the jumper on the mainboard), because of another problem with temperatures in my new  flat. After that it worked perfectly, and so it does at the moment. I configured the BIOS the same way it was before, but it works!!! I think it might be something with USB ID's or something like this, what must have changed....

I don't want help anymore. Thanks for not getting a 64 bit driver working correctly for this interface. I opened my first support ticket in August last year and effectively nothing happened. Month by month threads about the same problems come up. And you guys always refer to the same senseless pdf documents which tell  to disable everything on your computer because on the line 6 test computer everything is fine. I spend a half months income for this interface and in the past year you did nothing. I wasted a lot of money and time to find the f*cking bug. I've got ear bleeding because of the noisy crackling popping sounds coming out of the interface. I just want to say thank you Line 6 for this waste of time, money, healthiness of my ears and not being able to play guitar.  This was the last thing I bought from Line 6 if it works that way...

Goodbye...

Re: Line 6 UX2 problems
by hulbert on 2012-05-01 04:40:29

Hi,

I know you have already asked and not found a solution etc., but I thought I'd write anyway. Was it a specific problem for a certain motherboard/chipset? I know how frustrating things like this could get when you really want to get down to making music.

God bless,

David

by TheRealZap on 2012-05-01 05:31:10

other than saying you were on holiday one time... you never responded to the support teams questions...

each one of your previous attempts to get help was responded to appropriately....

had you merely responded letting support know that their suggestions didn't work or otherwise given them more information to work with... they would have engaged with you to work through your problems...

however, if you continued to have a hostile and insulting approach... perhaps it would have been a big waste of time...

because me as a human being (i.e. non-Line6 Employee) would not put up with it...

and i don't suspect that they should have to either!

by Atheist-666 on 2012-05-01 06:07:44

Hello,

the support team refers in every thread that I found, also in my last thread, to the stupid optimization pdf documents. I've written in the beginning of my thread that the things told by the document didn't work and they only post this things. So I thought responding to this is senselss. I searched for help in the german line 6 forum also. I tried a lot of things to get this thing to work ( special USB drivers for my amd cpu, monitoring software, process monitor, complete new installation of my system, virtual xp machine, etc,etc) and I'm tired of this now.

@hulbert

I've got Win 7 Prof. 64Bit on an AMD X2 3000 with 4 Gig of RAM...

by TheRealZap on 2012-05-01 06:13:17

Atheist-666 wrote:

Hello,

the support team refers in every thread that I found, also in my last thread, to the stupid optimization pdf documents. I've written in the beginning of my thread that the things told by the document didn't work and they only post this things. So I thought responding to this is senselss. I searched for help in the german line 6 forum also. I tried a lot of things to get this thing to work ( special USB drivers for my amd cpu, monitoring software, process monitor, complete new installation of my system, virtual xp machine, etc,etc) and I'm tired of this now.

@hulbert

I've got Win 7 Prof. 64Bit on an AMD X2 3000 with 4 Gig of RAM...

well they can't read your mind... and go through tons of posts....

but the importantant part here is that if you do not respond... your question would automatically go to assumed answered... and they will make no further attempts to help you.

had you even so much as said "tried all that" in a reply back they would have taken a closer look... asked for your system information... even possibly called you to help you figure it out....

you can also call them...

Line 6 - North America

Line 6, Inc.
26580 Agoura Road
Calabasas, CA 91302-1921

Main Phone#: (818) 575-3600
Main Fax#: (818) 575-3601

Line 6 - Europe

Line 6, Inc.
The POD
Clifton House
Butler's Leap
Rugby, Warwickshire
United Kingdom, CV21 3RQ

Telefone: +44 (0) 1788 566 566
Fax: +44 (0) 1788 566 529

Customer Service hours are 8am - 5pm M-F Pacific Time
Press option 3 for Customer Service
Our busiest hours are from 11am to 2 pm.

by hulbert on 2012-05-01 07:44:38

Hi again,

I just wondered if you had ever tried changing some things in Windows system properties? It was just that I noticed someone said that some system settings seemed to get in the way of their vista working well with their processor. It might do nothing but maybe worth a try. Just remember what the settings were before hand so that you can change it back if nothing helps:

I mean things like 'virtual memory' - I have mine set to a custom size - 6000mb (initial and maximum same - 6000mb) but you could maybe try different sizes.  This is found in control panel -system- advanced system settings - Advanced (tab)- performance - settings-advanced - virtual memory - change (and for your operating system's drive and possibly other drives if you save to them etc. but I'd just do the main drive, and do custom size).

I also have processor scheduling set to background services (this is in advanced tab - see above)

In the Visual Effects tab I have 'adjust for best performance', or 'custom'. If custom, I get rid of most, or all of the things ticked.

Under the Data execution prevention tab, I have 'turn on dep for essential windows programs and services only' . I'm not too sure about this thing so probably try the other things first and then try this after if nothing helps and you want to try it.

Another thing:

You probably have tried this and I noticed in one of your posts someone said something about this but one thing seemed to say to try removing the AMD USB filter driver, and another couple had some links to get a filter driver which might make it work. I am not sure if these drivers work on any AMD (might have to look for exact one - These seem to be acer and hp - I suppose would be different depending on your pc's make.  I tried but couldn't see anything for the x2 3000 in the hp one but maybe I missed it - didn't seem to be any vista drivers - just xp) but here are the links anyway (maybe your make will have some drivers) :

http://download.cnet.com/AMD-USB-Filter-Driver/3000-18493_4-202571.html

href="http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-63418-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2093&product=3768851">http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-63418-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&os=2093&product=3768851

Also,I noticed some strange things people said (you might have already read all these) like plugging in another usb thing and it somehow stops the noise.

Someone posted this too:

"some Vista users have experienced less or got rid of the noises leaving the Windows Audio Mixer open     nobody knows exactly why, but seems to help        anyway"

Not sure what this refers to. Maybe just to bring it up at the bottom of the screen? Maybe turning off 'windows sounds' on that mixer might do something too? Not sure.

Maybe also one of the processor's cooling/ processor speed software things? On my comouter, I can't run it on a certain setting because it crashes. I used to put it on the 2nd highest option but now I sometimes totally turn the software off. Probably depends on what you want and whats healthy for your computer.

Hope something helps,

God bless,

David

by Atheist-666 on 2012-05-01 08:10:52

Hello,

thanks for your help. I've tried many optimizations in Windows, but it won't help. I'm selling all my line 6 stuff now on ebay. But thank you for your help.

by Line6Tony on 2012-05-01 10:32:57

We're sorry it didn't work out for you. The reason we referred you to that USB Audio document is that it's helped many, many others in your position before. Please note how we preface that document:

Most USB audio problems are caused by data transfer interrupts on the USB stream that is feeding audio from the driver to the sound card. If there is a software/hardware interaction on your computer that adversely affects that data transfer, the result can be a white noise burst and/or popping and crackling from the audio device. Interrupts can also cause the device to stop functioning, which will require a system reboot for it to work again, but would not fix the problem long-term. USB interrupts generally do not effect most USB devices such as printers, keyboards, mouse, etc., as these devices use a USB bulk mode of transfer and do not produce noticeable problems if data is interrupted.

It should be noted that the complicated interaction of hardware and software on differently configured systems will produce different results, including failure with a small number of computers, regardless of device or manufacturer. The successful use of the USB audio hardware on another computer usually indicates that a problem with the original system needs to be addressed. There is no one-size-fits-all resolution to ensure error-free performance of audio devices on computers, but most USB interrupts can be resolved by one or all of these actions that we have seen help other users:

Some of the suggestions and optimizations are simple, some require highly advanced computer knowledge, but they have worked in some combination as reported by our end-users. Until you go through all of them, your computer's configuration may still be the root cause of the issue.

Additionally, one of the suggestions is to try on another computer. You said you'd try on a notebook you have. What was the result of that?

by Atheist-666 on 2012-05-01 11:27:32

I didn't try it out for long time on my notebook. In that time I didn't have dropouts but I used the software RiffWorks which made much problems there because it stottered and was totally out of rhythm. So that made no fun there.

The very bad thing about the "white noise burst and/or popping and crackling" is that it hurts really in my ears. I like playing loud, also with headphones, and thats impossible in fear of ear bleeding. I noticed dropouts while there is much data transfer on internal devices, also if I'm only listening to music in winamp. If my cpu is @100% with my normal internal soundchip theres no problem, the music still plays normal. Also if theres much data transfer on the hard disk.

I work in the IT business so I understand the problem of getting this problems fixxed for every system out there, but after nearly one year I realized that this modelling doesn't work as I supposed. And while theres still so much problems I think I keep my choice of selling all this things and search for another solution.

Maybe USB was a bad decision...

by Line6Tony on 2012-05-01 12:42:22

The fact that you didn't have these problems with the notebook before you started using Riffworks means that the interface works, and your original computer has a configuration problem which may be solved by some of the more advanced suggestions in the USB Audio Troubleshooting article.

I agree, the unexpected noise you hear would hurt anyone's ears. I'm sorry you had to experience that.

by Atheist-666 on 2012-05-01 13:07:22

Okay I tried on the notebook again, theres not the ear bleeding sound but there is crackling on every second or third note I hit. That was the last chance. After 9 months I give in.

by Atheist-666 on 2012-05-02 22:56:55

Okay people, I don't know why but yesterday after work I tried to get this thing working again. And on my notebook it seems to run. I made a very hard stress test which was passed by the ux2. I noticed some differences in case of usb-behaviour between my desktop-computer and my notebook. I will make a complete test protocoll this afternoon of what I did 4 hours long on yesterday evening and maybe I can borrow an usb-pci-card today at work for testing. Hopefully this is the solution.

Sorry for the blasphemy in the first post, but this wohle thing is very annoying...

by hulbert on 2012-05-03 01:57:54

Hi,

Thats great news!  Look forward to hearing your results

God bless,

David

by Atheist-666 on 2012-05-03 02:33:04

So, I can take a PCI-card today from my work, so I can try this in some hours... (I live in Germany if you're amazed about my working hours^^)

by hulbert on 2012-05-03 03:25:38

I'm in New Zealand, so its a bit like that for me to on this site. Other people write at a certain time and I get to write replies while everyone else is in bed in the US. Often think its funny seeing my name next to the questions  (if I have written to a few) because I get the chance to write before they probably see the question or are awake enough to think about it

God bless,

David

by Atheist-666 on 2012-05-03 15:27:25

So I tried a couple of things yesterday and today...

I disabled everything that was possible and cutted all usb devices, also mouse and keyboard. I changed all possible options in BIOS (Spread Spectrum, Cool n Quiet was diabled long time before,...). I used a PCI>USB-Card which I borrowed today, but that didn't change anything.

But there was something I didn't realize until now. On my notebook there are two graphic adapters, one from nvidia and one from intel. Usually the intel adapter is activated. With the intel adapter there are no drop outs, also if I fully load the notebook by using Prime95. That's no problem at all until I switch over to the Nvidia adapter. Then there are drop outs and glitches.

On my desktop computer I've got an Nvidia Card. I tried without the specific driver but all this does not change anything. I found this interesting site:

http://blog.paulgeorge.co.uk/2011/01/17/audio-dropouts-with-dell-e6410-nvidia-nvs-dpc-latency-problem/

But">http://blog.paulgeorge.co.uk/2011/01/17/audio-dropouts-with-dell-e6410-nvidia-nvs-dpc-latency-problem/">http://blog.paulgeorge.co.uk/2011/01/17/audio-dropouts-with-dell-e6410-nvidia-nvs-dpc-latency-problem/

Butthe mentioned tool didn't work for me.

There were strange results by the usage of some diagnostic tools.

Desktop PC:

Supposedly there is no danger for drop outs, also in the moment they appear:

Desktop_DPC.PNG

But the highest executation of the Nvidia driver is very bad:

Desktop_Latency.PNG

On my notebook:

with Intel Graphic:

Notebook_DPC_Intel Graphic.png

with Nvidia enabled:

Notebook_DPC_Nvidia.png

Funny is the "highest execution", which is much higher for some drivers than that on my desktop computer, but on my notebook there are no sound problems:

Notebook_LatencyMon.JPG

All in all that isn't very funny, because disabling the graphic card in my desktop computer can't be a solution. So what can I do now???

Please help.

Thx.

by silverhead on 2012-05-03 15:53:43

I see from an earlier post that you have 4G of RAM. That's not a whole lot in today's world.

Perhaps your nVidia card is using a lot of shared RAM on your PC, essentially stealing it from applications and other demands on RAM resources. Try configuring your nVidia card to use less RAM if that is possible. I am not at all sure that this will help, but it's at least something to try.

by Atheist-666 on 2012-05-03 22:45:55

Hello,

in my desktop computer I've got a GeForce 9800GT with 512MB of own video ram. So that card doesn't use RAM of the computer. But on my Notebook there are no sound problems even if I stress the notebook with Prime95 and get a cpu usage of 100% and 3,5 GByte of 4 GByte RAM used. The problems only occur if I switch from Intel graphics to Nvidia (which isn't a problem on my notebook, because I don't need the Nvidia except I want to play some games on the notebook).

But besides all these problems I really don't understand one thing. The UX2 has got a feature called Tone Direct Monitoring. Why is this influenced by usage of computer resources. That doesn't make sense to me, because the sound is produced in the POD, so the dropouts should be only while playing music files or videos NOT while I'm only playing guitar , because this should be direct monitored?! That's not very logical imo.

by hulbert on 2012-05-04 01:36:18

Hi again,

From the outset, let me say I don't think I have the same knowledge of drivers and that which you obviously have, so take what I say about that with a grain of salt.

I had a look round and you have probably looked at these things anyway, but there were some things. I haven't really read what the problems are these people have but they all have to do with Nvlddmkm.sys . Lots of people tried different things and some worked some didn't. I noticed someone said their problems ceased when they changed drivers to ones from omegadrivers.net. Others changed clock speed etc. Someone else got their's working by turning UAC off. These people were having issues with games, so it might be different.

Others mentioned trying different slots for the video card, but doesn't sound like it would be that if it replicates the prob in the other computer too when using nvidia. Some others said it seemed to be a clash between spybot and similar programmes and drivers (running? or when installing them). Others mentioned power supplies not quite giving the needed volts..but again, if its both computers, it seems like its not going to be that, unless ??? I don't know.

Concerning tone direct. From what I know, tone direct monitoring is done inside the computer using its' own asio drivers to send out to the ux2. The ux2 then uses its digital to audio converter to then put it back into audio. It would be good if it did allow the tone to be created in the ux2 though, because then we wouldn't have to keep it plugged into the computer when just wanting to play guitar with no backing.

Not sure if you've seen this page from M-Audio (some ideas under pc down page a bit - you might have tried them all I don't know:

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=support.faq&ID=de0c17eee57afeeba3978a213b6d86ac

I'llhave another think about it.

God Bless,

David

by TheRealZap on 2012-05-04 04:19:37

get slim drivers (free) http://www.driverupdate.net/

thiswill also make sure that your chipset and usb drivers are up to date.... easily overlooked drivers.... solved many a problem... not all... but alot of them.

by Atheist-666 on 2012-05-05 09:39:29

Okay after hours of testing I'm back with some news. I borrowed a second, "low-budget", notebook from my mother for some testing.

The listing of all tested machines:

Desktop computer:

AMD Athlon X2 6000+ @ 2,98 GHz

4 GB DDR2 Ram

MSI K9N Neo 2

Palit Nvidia 9800GT Green 512MB

running Win 7 Prof

Notebook #1 : Acer Aspire 5935G

Intel Core 2 Duo P7450 @ 2,13 GHz

4 GB DDR3 Ram

Intel onboard graphics / Nvidia Geforce GT 240M with Turbocache

running Win 7 Home Premium

Notebook #2 : Compaq 615

AMD Sempron SI42 @ 2,1 GHz

764 MB DDR2 Ram

ATI Radeon HD 3200

running Win XP SP3

I tested every computer under the same circumstances, except my desktop computer. On the desktop machine I have a clean Windows Install, tested with standard windows drivers and also the chipset and grahic drivers from the manfacturers.

On every machine I ran the tool Prime95 to stress the RAM and the CPU to a maximum usage of the full 100% and let play some music and played some guitar in Podfarm 2.5.

On my desktop computer this ends in drop-outs, glitches and ear-bleeding sounds in all cases. Without the graphic drivers from the manufacturer they appeared even without stressing the machine in any way.

On Notebook #1 there is no problem if the Nvidia Card is disabled. otherwise there is the same problem, but not as hard as on the desktop computer.

On Notebook #2, with the lowest power, there wasn't any problem or sound drop

This is totally amazing, because this notebook has not that much power but it is running Windows XP !!!

This tells me that the power of the computer isn't really important for the UX2. The solution for this problem must stick close to the drivers and maybe to the drivers for the graphics card...

@hulbert: I tried to install the Omega-Drivers but they didn't let me install them. Maybe I will have a second look at them. Thanks for the explanation of the working of the UX2, I was on the wrong way there...

@TheRealZap: I tried with standard drivers and also the actual drivers of the manufacturers of my maniboard and my cards...

by Atheist-666 on 2012-05-05 17:23:41

I know double posts aren't welcome anywhere, but they keep the thread alive.

The last thing I tried tonight was the try to install Windows XP SP3 native on my desktop computer. But the problem still exists. So it can't be a OS problem. The tool "DCP Latency Checker" says there are no problems and my machine is able to handle real-time streaming, but that's obviuosly not true.I tried without and with the drivers from nVidia, but there must be something else, because nothing helps...

by Triryche on 2012-05-05 18:28:49

Did you try disabling the USB filter as suggested by hulbert?

by Atheist-666 on 2012-05-06 04:45:10

I tried with and without the AMD USB Filter.

by Atheist-666 on 2012-05-10 11:14:54

The problem still exists. I think I will copy all my results together and send them in as a new support ticket, maybe also for the nvidia support...

by hulbert on 2012-05-11 05:25:29

Hi again,

Just had a great time with cousins, uncle, aunt,  visiting for a few days! Sorry I didn't comment earlier about your other findings. I think you must be right about the graphics drivers or something linked to that. Just wondering is there any other way to somehow have graphics drivers running in a separate environment - a bit like having a virtual operating system on your computer but instead of housing a 2nd op. system, it runs the graphics drivers?

David

by Atheist-666 on 2012-05-14 03:42:28

Hello, thanks for the reply. I made a test install in a virtual xp machine and the UX2 was identified without problems. But while trying to start Podfarm in the virtual machine the whole machine crashes.

by Atheist-666 on 2012-06-11 03:32:53

After 3 weeks of waiting for answers in my Line6 support ticket the ticket was closed now, because they can't help. That's very frustrating... Buying another graphic card can't be a realisitic solution (as it was mentioned by the support)... Is there anybody who knows something else? is there someone with the same problems in combination with a Nvidia graphic card?

by hulbert on 2012-06-11 05:51:45

Hi again,

Just happened to see this from a post by Ricksox or Line6Miller. You may have seen it already and it possibly is nothing to do with it, but  I'll link:

http://www.nvgpupro.com/

Ihaven't re-read the posts but this talks about same or other ways:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/gaming-software-graphics-cards/273276-powermizer-switch-get-most-out-your-video-card.html

Someonementions somethings they did to get that thing mentioned to help (4 posts from the bottom):

http://line6.com/support/message/142644#142644

GodBless,

David

by Atheist-666 on 2012-06-11 12:59:33

I already tried this, but I can't download this tool:

Not Found

The requested URL /release/2_1_120/Nv GPU Pro.exe was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

best regards

atheist-666

by erickalan77 on 2012-06-18 20:29:20

I have Win7 64 and have had no troubles with a Toneport UX2

Here are some common sense/experienced setup guidleines for you:

KEEP YOUR GAIN LOW- about 50% on your meters, never clip ( full meter ) you

will get the ugliest darn sound you ever heard and mistake it for a drop out, cracks, crackle or pop.

** do not over load the AD converter- turn down your gain or your volume potson your instrument.

( I have to do both with my guitar ).

Set your meters to monitor input, The meter monitor option/selection is in your Line 6 ASIO mixer.

Disable "windows sounds"

Disable onboard audio ( right click in your mixer )

Make " Line 6 interface" your "default device" in your mixer.

Keep your buffer high ( except when playing in PodFarm )

I have since since switched to a different brand for mixing and tracking for sound quality reasons

but keep my UX2 around for PODfarm and GearBox when I need it. There is an interesting white

paper at focusrite about  setting up priority for the drivers they have in your device manager.

Check it out. It regards their firewire devices but might/surely could be applied to a USB device.

Just search firewire setup or something to that effect. Maybe it would help.

by Atheist-666 on 2012-08-26 13:08:45

I solved it !!!!

I resetted the BIOS (not like tried before with setting it to defaults in the BIOS itself of my computer, i made it with the jumper on the mainboard), because of another problem with temperatures in my new  flat. After that it worked perfectly, and so it does at the moment. I configured the BIOS the same way it was before, but it works!!! I think it might be something with USB ID's or something like this, what must have changed....

by hulbert on 2012-08-26 20:07:59

Cool!!!

So was that that it for some reason needed resetting in the hardware? I didn't realise that there was a hardware vs software ability to change  bios things. I have a computer in the shed which has a switch for different speed settings. I suppose thats a similar thing i.e. affecting bios things via a hardware switch?

Anyway, its great you worked out the solution!

I suppose you're glad you had these other problems come up about the temperature

God Bless,

David

by Atheist-666 on 2012-08-27 09:03:36

Yes, this was very helpful. My computer didn't boot anymore because of wrong settings which I chose for the air cooler. So I had to make the hardware BIOS reset.

Very strange though, because I made the same settings as before (except the misconfigured cooling things).

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.