These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Planet Waves Auto-Trim Locking Tuners on JTV-59 - photos
by lindsayward on 2012-04-30 16:38:08

EDIT: I now have, see below for photos.

Hi folks,

Has anyone put the Planet Waves auto-trim tuners on their JTV-59? If so, I would like to see some photos, thanks!

There are a few threads here already about putting locking tuners on a 59 (I thought about adding this request to one of them)... I know there's re-drilling of the screw holes, but I think the benefit of the auto-trim feature will be more than the downside of the different holes... I hope.

I'm also trying to decide between chrome and black, so some photos would help with that.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Planet Waves Auto-Trim Locking Tuners on JTV-59 - photos?
by MerlinFL on 2012-04-30 18:13:47

I bought those exact tuners for mt first two Variax model 700 electric guitars.

If you are not familiar with the original models, they all had tremolos that were simple pivot arms.  This combined with the cheap plastic nut caused the guitar to constantly go out of tune.  This drove me crazy until I read a post here back in 2006 that had recommended these tuners which solved the tuning problem 100%.  The concept is a very sound one which is listed with the sales info about the tuners.

I don't know if you really need these for the 59 or the 89 since they are stop tail design.  The Grover tuners on the Korean models are nice tuners, but if you want the convenience of not needing a pair of wire cutters to change your strings, then I think these would be the best tuners for that purpose.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Take care,
Neal

PS - you might wish to decide if you want to have extra holes on the back of your headstock as the Grover screw holes don't line up with the Planet Waves screw holes.

by lindsayward on 2012-04-30 19:27:22

Thanks. I've got the tuners on my Variax 600 and like them a lot (except for the feel of the actual head). The cutting is cool and I'm also keen to make it easier to change strings on the 59 since the bridge doesn't hold the strings in (I posted about this recently).

I would really like to be able to see it before committing though...

by lindsayward on 2012-05-28 01:36:38

So... has anyone actually put the Planet Waves tuners on a JTV59?

by lindsayward on 2012-06-08 22:05:40

So... anyone done it? photos?

Thanks.

by lindsayward on 2012-10-03 20:08:47

Hi. So I haven't seen any photos. If anyone has these tuners on a JTV59, please do upload them.

I'm still keen, so I'm wondering what colour to get: black or chrome (which have black posts). Any suggestions/advice?

by ke3ee on 2012-10-04 03:33:33

I installed Schaller locking tuner just last night on my 59 and they were a direct replacement, no extra holes and work great.Took 15 min's .

by lindsayward on 2012-10-14 06:54:32

I like the idea of 'drop-in', but I do really like the auto-trim feature on the Planet Waves tuners. I think that would be worth the extra holes/effort.

by lindsayward on 2012-10-23 04:52:43

I have ordered the chrome 3+3 Planet Waves tuners and will post photos here when they're installed.

Oddly/annoyingly, the 6 in-line appear to have the holes in the 'right' spots, but only 3 of them would.

by jasonk931 on 2012-11-12 20:09:04

Can send me a pic of those tuners on yours? I have a cherry burst, and I do not like the stock tuners. my email is pj@gforceministires.com

Thanks,

Jasonk931

by jasonk931 on 2012-11-12 20:09:39

Oops Try again: pj@gforceministries.com

by lindsayward on 2012-11-12 23:16:01

Hi. I'll get the guitar back from the luthier on Saturday, so I'll put up some photos here when I have it back.

by lindsayward on 2012-11-27 21:43:55

OK, so it's all done and here are the results.

I haven't changed strings yet, but I'm sure that will be a big winner.

I don't notice a massive difference, but I do believe the tuning is staying a bit more steady - I played a full church service with new (stretched in) strings and it was still in tune by the end.

Looks-wise, I'm very happy with the black and chrome - nice. The distance from the headstock to the tuning peg is less I think - it's a bit noticeable on the D and G string tuners, but not a problem at all.

I got an Earvana nut installed as well, which is visible in the pictures below.

Front (I didn't realise until after that this is an interesting self-portrait ):

JTVheadstockFront.jpg

Back (you can see the screw holes, filled with 'black dots'):

JTVheadstockBack.jpg

And side for good measure:

JTVheadstockSide.jpg

by jasonk931 on 2012-11-28 05:23:04

looks great. I'll be doing the same....I'm not a fan of the stock tuners on my Korean 59. Having trouble with them. This should do the trick. Thanks for posting pics. Helps remove fears of other tuners.

by sidysm on 2012-11-28 13:50:50

have you noticed any changes with the earvana?

by lindsayward on 2012-11-28 15:17:44

I got an Earvana nut put on my Variax 600 and I wasn't sure if I could tell the difference. When I got this guitar it didn't sound as in tune, so I figured I was noticing its absence. I haven't had it back long, so I haven't done any real tests, but I do think it's a bit better. Three-note chords on the 1-2-3 strings were the worst and I think that's better. My ears are not good enough to be unequivocal about it, but I paid money to do this, so yes - it's better .

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.