These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD X3

Setting up a used X3 Live
by mfish33 on 2012-05-03 00:12:08

I have a used X3 Live and want to know how to set this up properly. What software do I need to install to be able to edit on my computer and download patches to the X3 Live such as Lincoln Brewster's patches? It looks like Gearbox is not around now? Do I use Pod Farm instead and will it work? Do I use Monkey? I use an iMac with OS X. Will be running it through garageband and the PA at church only.

Thank you.

Re: Setting up a used X3 Live
by johnpicton on 2012-05-03 05:25:43

If you go to the downloads section at the top of this page and select your equipment (IE X3) and your OS follow through and download Line6 Monkey. This will help you to download all of the drivers.

Gearbox IS the software you need and it is still available. Yes you can use PodFarm 1. If your X3 was originally registered after September 2009 you are also entitled to use PodFarm 2.

See the image below to show you that gearbox is still available.

You can also download tones from Customtone - also at the top of this page.

gearbox.jpg

by silverhead on 2012-05-03 07:03:57

.... and following the above, once you have everything updated here is a video showing you how to download tones from Customtone and install them in your X3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u8j9ZAUzC4&feature=plcp">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u8j9ZAUzC4&feature=plcp">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u8j9ZAUzC4&feature=plcp

by mfish33 on 2012-05-07 00:03:54

Thank you for the info! Which would you suggest though? I see Gearbox seems to be an older program? Pod Farm better or not? Also, to use these as a standalone to edit my patches, is that what it is used for? Will I be able to use it on my computer without the X3 live on and edit patches, here what it sounds like and then transfer? Or does that have to be Gearbox as a plug-in. This is all a little new to me. Thanks.

by johnpicton on 2012-05-07 02:41:27

Gearbox is the patch editor - you CAN use podfarm to edit you patches however it wont work as a standalone program on your computer. By that I mean that you need to use a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) such as Cubase, Reaper etc. (there are many others). Podfarm is a .vst plugin so the DAW that you use must be able to handle .vst.

Many people have their preferences, some prefer gearbox some prefer podfarm (for what it is worth I personally prefer gearbox - although podfarm looks nicer).

Gearbox will work as a standalone program - in as much that you don't need to have it working as a plugin for a DAW. However you still must have your X3L connected, so in answer to your other question, no you cant develop a tone and preview it without your X3L connected with either pieces of software. Your X3L essentially acts as a security dongle proving your entitlement to use the software.

If you absolutely want to create stuff without the X3L connected there is a version of PodFarm (podfarm 2.5) that will work without the X3L however this isn't free and also the tones that you create with PodFarm 2.5 (or even Podfarm 2 for that) aren't directly compatible with your X3L. This is due to the way that PodFarm 2 / 2.5 route the different effects is different to how it is  on the X3L.

Good Luck with all of this - it is great fun and feel free to come back and ask more questions.

Cheers

John

by mfish33 on 2012-05-21 16:59:03

You were good about answering my other issue. I have figured out how to install all the programs, and update drivers and flash, etc. Can this thing be played via USB through my mac? I changed the audio out and in to the X3 like the tutorials say, but I get no sound out of the speakers? I see in Garageband that there is a signal, but no sound. I have to use 1/4 inch out to my input of computer and then I hear it. But isn't the USB preferred? I am lost...

by silverhead on 2012-05-21 19:06:03

You need to connect your speakers to the X3. When connected via usb the X3 becomes your computer's soundcard; your internal soundcard is bypassed.

by mfish33 on 2012-05-21 21:30:15

Ah, ok...well, I don't have external speakers (just built in speakers) so I guess the 1/4 or XLR out to my computer input will have to do. Is there any advantage to the USB then? Seems a little pointless, I thought many like it for recording?

by johnpicton on 2012-05-22 00:34:47

There is absolutely a benefit to recording via the USB. If you are taking the signal from the 1/4 out on the X3 and feeding it into the computer you are only accessing a fully processed signal. One of the big benefits of the X3 (and in this it is better than the HD series - IMHO) is that there are a number of inputs available to you when recording via USB. You can record a "wet" signal or a "dry" signal on Left or right channels or on both channels.

A "wet" signal is one that has all of the effects and amps applied to it. A dry signal is just the signal from the guitar (or whatever it is you are recording) without the effects applied - though you do hear the effects and amps while you are playing. The advantage of this is that you can "reamp" your signal. That is that you can - in garageband for example - apply effects and tweak the amp sounds after recording. What I have done on occasion is to record both wet and dry at the same time in to 2 separate tracks in my recording software, giving me the best of both worlds.

All of this means that you must have your sounds played back through the X3, IE you must have an amp or speakers (or even headphones) connected to your X3. As Silverhead has said already, when you use USB with your X3 it becomes your sound card. I am a PC user and therefore I need to use the ASIO driver, and it is the nature of ASIO that only one device can be active at any one time. I always thought that it was the same with the Mac drivers, but recent posts in the HD forum have implied to me that perhaps with the Mac you can setup your Line6 device as the input and your Mac as your output. I am not sure about this - perhaps a Mac user can jump in with the definitive answer.

Cheers

John

by smb1558 on 2012-05-22 02:19:32

You can use PodFarm 2.51 standalone.

by johnpicton on 2012-05-22 05:20:52

smb1558 wrote:

You can use PodFarm 2.51 standalone.

If you want to pay for it that is.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.