These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV-59 tuning knob light operation
by bograt on 2012-05-04 06:57:41

I have searched this forum, and believe I have an answer but I'm asking can someone from Line6 please confirm for me that the light in the tuning knob should extinguish a second or so after changing to a new tuning?

I have put a deposit down on a -59, having played a demo one for an hour or so, but the knob/light combination worked differently to the new stock one they presented to me. 

The light inside both would extinguish as per my original question (normal ops?), but they differed in that the tuning selection could easily be seen internally lit on one guitar, yet on the other there was almost no internal lighting at all, just a "halo" light pattern around the bottom of the knob.

They have another one coming for me in a week, but I'd like to know what to expect from these lit knobs thanks.  I have downloaded the manual, but it's not clear (unless I missed it) how this light should function.

Thanks

edit:  Both were being played through a POD HD500 into a small amp.  Neither guitar had a battery that was fully charged (I checked using the pushbutton on the battery case), but as they were running through a VDI I would have expected that the battery charge state shouldn't matter.  Wrong assumption maybe?

Message was edited by: Matt Granger

Re: JTV-59 tuning knob light operation
by silverhead on 2012-05-04 08:52:31

I'm not from Line 6, but I do have a JTV-59 connected via VDI to an HD500. My tuning knob light goes out as you describe about  a second after moving it to a new position. After that there is no light at all on or around the knob - not even the halo you describe. I expect this is normal behaviour - at least I have never even thought about it until you asked this question.

by bograt on 2012-05-04 16:58:24

Thanks for amswering.  Does the light illuminate inside the knob to display the selected tuning, as the "model" knob does to display your selected model?  One of the two guitars I've played did so, the other didn't.

Given that, how easy is it to see your selected tuning, particularly in a dark environment?

Cheers

by silverhead on 2012-05-04 20:05:14

bograt wrote:

....... Does the light illuminate inside the knob to display the selected tuning, as the "model" knob does to display your selected model?  ....

No, it doesn't.

Given that, how easy is it to see your selected tuning, particularly in a dark environment?

I think it would not be very easy at all to see the selected tuning in a dark environment. I haven't had to try this. Seems to me you would have to rotate the knob momentarily to trigger the light, and then back again, to see the current tuning.

by MerlinFL on 2012-05-04 20:17:40

silverhead wrote:

I think it would not be very easy at all to see the selected tuning in a dark environment. I haven't had to try this. Seems to me you would have to rotate the knob momentarily to trigger the light, and then back again, to see the current tuning.

I have a JTV-59US and a JTV-89KN and both react exactly as described by Silverhead.

I also know for a fact that on stage it's nearly impossible to see where the guitar is dialed unless you turn the knob to turn on the internal light or you have really amazing night vision.

I got used to not being able to see the models on the guitar with the original Variax guitars because the model banks are easy to memorize from Custom Bank 1 thru the other side with Custom Bank 2.  Perhaps that might be useful if you're not using a POD HD unit to control the models associated with each patch you recall?

by bograt on 2012-05-06 18:44:48

Thanks Silverhead & Merlin.  Now I know what to expect.  Should be picking it up this morning.

Best regards,

Matt

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.