These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: M5 / M9 / M13

Powering the M9
by jstouder on 2012-05-04 07:02:07

I just purchased the M9 used from Guitar Center.  Interestingly enough it came with a 1 Spot power adapter which only causes the display screen on the M9 to flicker.

I have a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power ISO 5 and tried the 300mh 9V output.  It actually powers the M9 up with no problems.  I haven't had time to play through it and test it out but I'm curious.  If so many posts and topics state that you can't power the M9 from the ISO 5, how's come it powered right up for me?

Also, what would you recommend to use to power the M9.  I'd like to stick with Voodoo Labs if possible.

THANK YOU

Re: Powering the M9
by TheRealZap on 2012-05-04 07:18:16

STOP!!!

don't use either... the M9 takes AC power from a line6 PX2

using DC power will risk damage.

voodoo makes an AC unit that might work, but your ISO5 should not be used.

Re: Powering the M9
by phil_m on 2012-05-04 07:39:57

First off, your M9 should have come with Line 6 PX-2 power supply, not a One Spot. Even it was used when you bought it, the people at GC should know better. I think I'd go back and ask them to give you the correct supply.

There are many threads about the M9 and DC power. I won't say it won't work, because there are people who have been using theirs with DC power supplies for a while. Two things - First, I suspect that 300mA will not work for very long. The M9 draws something more like 1100mA when all effects are on. Second, none of Line 6's testing for the M9 has been done with a DC supply. Just because it works for a while doesn't mean there aren't components that could potentially be damaged in the long run. Because of this, I don't see a good reason to use a DC supply. I know it's convenient and all, but in the long run convenience may end up costing you more.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.