These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Volume surges and goes crazy
by LastLeg on 2012-05-05 13:22:48

I have been happy with Line 6 for 4 years.  I bought a HD 100 and the lil 15 watt practice amp.  I run the HD 100 through a 4X12 cab (Marshall).  The other day in the studio the channels started changing on me without any help from me and the volume would surge too.  The volume pots have always been noisey.  Now I had the tubes changed.  The first time in 4 years and I gig almost every week end.  My problem is the guy that changed my tubes said the whole front panel was in bad shape.  Rusty and needed cleaning.  The pots on the whole front panel were cleaned twice and we still couldn't get them to sound good.  It is cracking and popping something terrible.  I need help.  He cannot order the parts as he is not a line 6 service tech.  He suggested a brand new front panel.  The amp was bought in 08' and this is the first bit of trouble I have had.  I "retired" my 4100 Marshal head cause I loved this and it's versitality.  What can I do?  Where can I get a front panel?   Please help.  I am using my "baby" line 6 but it is an old model and my short board will not connect to it.  I guess I will have to pull out the Marshal.  ???  Help please!

Re: Volume surges and goes crazy
by cgtrox on 2012-05-06 19:21:21

It sounds like it could be either a "brown-out" or overheating issue. When you say you were in the studio, is this the only time this happened? If it has done this elsewhere then I would suggest a voltage regulator ($30.00) to keep the voltage at a constant level. These amps are a hybrid of tubeamp and computer. Any drop in voltage or power results in the amp kinda resetting itself or trying to. Hence, the volume drops and craziness. Another thing that makes this amp (HD100) act up like this is overheating. I have mentioned this several times on this board. The design (to me) is flawed as there is no vents for those four big a$$ tubes that are cooking up yer tone to let out steam! Look at a Marshall, Diezel, Soldano, etc. They ALL have vents! If I were to get an HD100 I would remove the plexi front panel and put a cool looking chrome metal screen on there to get some air moving through there. Complete with the Line 6 logo! Also try to "park" all the dials to zero then use the Master volume and Reverb at your discretion. As far as getting parts for it, is it a MKI or an MKII?

cgtrox

by LastLeg on 2012-05-07 11:17:37

It is an MkII.  I have been told and I can see that I need a front panel.  All the pots are in terrible shape.  It is out of warranty.  I agree it does need to have a vent.  I have used this rig a lot.  It just started this.  It does it now all the time.  I re tubed it and had the pots "cleaned", however, there is not much to clean.  What a cheap design of these pots.  I need a front panel for sure and can go from there.  How do I get one?  I am told that if I'm not a authorized Line 6 service center I can't order this item.  The main volume is in real bad shape.  I can set it and leave it a lone and I'm ok.  Re placing the tubes stopped the surgeing of the volume.  If I try and adjust it the thing goes crazy with popping and crackling.    I love this amp and what I can do with it.  It's like having a Mesa, Fender, and any other two amps with me live.  I guess right now it's back to my Marshall head.  I want to get a new front panel with new pots.  I hope they have improved these as they are thin and weak.  This amp is 4 years old and has been in a controled enviroment.  I do gig outside a lot, but other than that it should not be in the shape it is in.  HD 100 MKII bought new in 08' and right now its a high dollar boat anchor.  Can I buy a front panel without going through a certified service center? 

by cgtrox on 2012-05-07 12:08:46

I hear ya bro. I don't think you can buy one unless you are. Do you live in an area that is far from a Line 6 certified repair center? Have you tried opening a ticket with Line 6? Also, remember this amp is part computer so be careful with outside gigs and treat it like you would a computer. I used to live near the coast and it was always humid, and that's how i did it. I will submit it to the panel for you...

cgtrox

by spaceatl on 2012-05-07 16:43:28

Here's a thought...The Master Volume and Presence are the only analog pots on the amp...There are wires for these from the power amp board to the panel. If the pins become oxidized on these wires, you can get all kinds of wierd things going on. Not sure if your amp guy cleaned them or not, but it is fairly simple to do...There are two grey wires with mini white molex connectors...just unplug them and shoot some contact cleaner on the pins and the cable connector...re-seat them a few times and it might give you some breathing room...

by Line6Tony on 2012-05-08 16:39:47

Hey, LastLeg. Sorry to see this happen to your amp. It is true that we don't sell parts directly to customers other than what's on our web store, and that you'd have to go through a service center to order parts. It is up to the service center to even offer to sell the parts, and they set the pricing. If Line 6 parts aren't available, they may help by looking up the part in the service manual and telling you what it would take to fix it at component level. One service center that many users have a good experience with is http://www.avalancheproaudio.com/.

by LastLeg on 2012-05-08 21:47:14

Hey guys thank all of you for the input and the answers and advice.  I'm a player and not much on the technical side of amps.  I have had a great experience with Line 6 for about five years.  I have to say the MKII has been a tank.  I have had several outside gigs were the temps were extremely hot and a bit on the cool side close to 50 degrees.  A lot of dew and moisture too.  I am not sure if my amp guy cleaned the wires on the analog connections or not.  He is bringng some gear by this week end for me to try out and we will check it then.  I am still using this rig.  If I can set the volume pre gig and only use my foot pedal all seems to be ok.  I still get some noise with the volume pedal from my short board but I only use that when I go "clean" and I have adjusted using the volume on the Les Paul.  Line6Tony thanks for the link.  I will have to try that soon as it's falling off the cliff.  If I could just get my hands on a NEW front panel we could change it oursleves.  The power transformer is putting out A ok.  I use a power conditioner, which I highly recomend with any amp, especially one of such delicate nature.  I'm also proud of my 15 watt solid state practice amp.  For a hundred bucks it is amazing and I have played some gigs using it. Plus a ton of studio work with it.  Just find the sweet spot with a 57 mic and run it through the PA and all is well.  Tube amps are money pits, your gonna have to drop a dime now and then.  I just wanted more than 4 years use before I had to put half of what I paid for it back in it.  I could always just buy another one.  It's 200 a year if I look at it that way.  lol.   This thing has blown any amp away I have ever played through and that inlcudes Mesa, Marshall, Orange, you name it, especiall on the burn, burn, setting.   

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.