These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Line 6 Lounge

Nick_Mattocks...Gone but not forgotten
by Line6Tony on 2012-05-07 09:23:09

Fellow Line 6ers,

It pains me to inform you that one of our most beloved and helpful community members, Nick_Mattocks, has passed after a lengthy illness. I am not at liberty to discuss any specifics. Line 6 extends its deepest condolensces to Nick's family and friends. We will miss him dearly. In the picture below, Nick is to the left. Feel free to leave a few words in rememberance of our friend, Sir Nick.

nick.jpg

Nick's wife, Penny, let us know of a charity that Nick supported.  It is the North Clwyd Animal Rescue in Wales where Nick adopted his dog, Sam.  If you'd like to remember Nick's giving attitude by supporting this charity, there is a page where you can place a donation in his memory.

http://www.justgiving.com/NickMattocks

It is absolutely secure and legit.  You can donate using PayPal or debit card and you do not need to be a British taxpayer.

Re: Nick_Mattocks...Gone but not forgotten
by silverhead on 2012-05-07 09:30:23

I have known Nick since shortly after I joined the Line 6 community. He has been a tremendous help to me personally and to the comunity in general. I have missed him greatly over the last few weeks, and will now miss him more deeply for a long time.

I never actually met Nick - our relationship was purely online. But I am proud to say that I know he considered me a friend. We have exchanged many personal emails and Private Messages, and he was a role model - often a consultant - to me in how a Line 6 Expert User should behave.

May your spirit live on here, Sir Nick. RIP.

by bclarke675 on 2012-05-07 09:46:12

Nick's posts here have helped me many times.  He will be missed by me and the Line 6 community.  Well wishes to his family!

by leegoodrick on 2012-05-07 09:48:14

Wow, my condolences to his family and friends. I hope his passing was peaceful and results in some closure for his family if his illness had been long term. No doubt the posters on the forum will miss his invaluable support and advice.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-05-07 10:12:20

We lost a great one here today, folks.  Nick was like a part of our family here on the forum in the Expert group.  That designation wasn't given lightly.  His knowledge of Line6 products was highly respected by all of us.  But that's the least of our loss because he was also one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to know.  I only interacted with Nick online, but our conversations extended beyond this forum and our little group.  I just sent him some words of encouragement yesterday but sadly he didn't get it.  I missed him by just a couple of hours.  Rest peacefully, my friend.  Some day we'll have a really awesome, neverending jam session together.

by mmurph on 2012-05-07 10:20:29

Wow- that's a bit of a shock. He helped me out considerably and always seemed quite reasonable despite the often unreasonable tone of folks he was trying to help out or explain something to. This place won't be the same without him.

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends. He will be missed.

Mike

by TheRealZap on 2012-05-07 10:20:49

Nick was an inspiration for me. with every one of his posts i learned something, whether it was technical details or just his even handed, and consistently level headed approach. i've interacted with Nick nearly every day for what seems like years now, both in this forum and outside of this forum. Nick's friendship, mentorship, and knowledge will be missed even by those that had not interacted with him directly.

Nick, you will be missed.

http://line6.com/support/people/Nick_Mattocks

by ricksox on 2012-05-07 10:25:49

Nick was a true gentlaman and a class act. His knowledge of all musical gear transcended throught Line 6's entire community. The staggering number of people he's helped out here the last few years is testament to his selflessness and good nature.

He will be extremely missed.

Rest in peace brother.

Rick

by Lespaulidas on 2012-05-07 10:37:41

Nick,

Although you didn't know me, you helped me many times.  In fact you helped everyone, all the time.  Anyone could tell by the way you wrote thoughtful, well-mannered, and articulate replies to strangers, or friends, that you were a gift to Line 6 and the world in general.  It wasn't hard to tell that you sir were a gracious, respectful man.    Best wishes to your family and friends!

RIP - This forum will miss you.

by daveschutt on 2012-05-07 10:40:48

It is a very sad to hear of Nick's passing.  He was a very generous man with his time and sharing his knowledge.  Never belittling, never agitated by answering the same questions people asked.  He would go the extra mile and often add so much to the understanding of an issue by going outside just the limits of the product in question.  He will be missed.

by phil_m on 2012-05-07 10:46:34

Like others here, I never met Nick in person, but my interactions with him on these boards were nothing but positive. Many times forums like this can show the worst in people, but Nick never sunk into any of that. He always responded with kindness and addressed everyone with respect. He will be missed here. I send his friends and family my deepest condolences.

by spaceatl on 2012-05-07 11:03:45

There just aren't any words...

I miss you Nick!

by Texxxxx on 2012-05-07 11:19:48

That is sad to hear. 

Nick was always the gentleman and helped me out many times.

May your Spirit Soar, Nick....

by jimsreynolds on 2012-05-07 11:55:51

I knew Nick only by his words but it was quite a shock to see this.  Nick was never less than courteous and kind in his answers and he helped me alongside many thousands of others.

Farewell Nick and thank you.

by GeeTah on 2012-05-07 12:06:06

A true gentleman in every sense of the word. Nick will be sorely missed.

by Line6Hugo on 2012-05-07 13:00:21

The wealth of knowledge and insight that Nick has provided to countless people on these forums is immeasureable.  He will be sorely missed by not oly his family and friends, but by this community which he devoted so much time to selflessly help and interact with its members.

Rest in peace, Nick.

Hugo

by MerlinFL on 2012-05-07 13:27:33

I only knew Nick from his posts here on the L6 forums, but just from those posts and one personal message between us in my years here on these boards...I agree with every positive word written or spoken about this truly fine man.

I'm very saddened to learn of him having suffered and extended illness, and even more so with this news of his passing.  My heart felt condolences go out to his family and any others who knew him much better than I.

I submit that perhaps Line 6 give some thought to a "Line 6 Community Hall of Fame" board to start with Nick Mattocks as the first inductee to honor his contributions to the Line 6 company and it's community.

His very thoughtful and insightful answers, comments, and even questions will truly be missed.  He gave of his personal time and expertise to the betterment of Line 6, their products, and the Line 6 Forums to which he served with nothing expected in return. 

I will ask for prayers in his honor for his family at my church.

My deepest condolences once again,

Neal

by RichRenken on 2012-05-07 13:28:11

Line6Tony wrote:

Fellow Line 6ers,

It pains me to inform you that one of our most beloved and helpful community members, Nick_Mattocks, has passed after a lengthy illness. I am not at liberty to discuss any specifics. Line 6 extends its deepest condolensces to Nick's family and friends. We will miss him dearly. In the picture below, Nick is to the left. Feel free to leave a few words in rememberance of our friend, Sir Nick.

nick.jpg

I am so so sad. You guys should know, the guy who typed to you was that guy, in real life. He was truly that helpful, caring, uber fan of music and gear as it seemed he was on the forums. I got to hang with him at a trade show but I also got to go have Fish and Chips with him north of London. He and I and his good fried from Line 6 UK hung out for a few hours. I looked forward to a day when I would get to hang with him again. My heart is broken for Penny. I pray for her and the rest of Nick's family and friends and mourn with them. Then, let's all never forget him. Peace, Rich..........................................

by gtrman100 on 2012-05-07 14:04:52

What a sad thing! Even though I never knew him, you could tell the type of person he was from his posts- informed, thoughtful, detailed and always presented in a logical way. Obviously, he cared deeply about helping others, which is the highest cause in which a person can participate. I was always impressed by his knowledge, and the length he went to tranmit it to others. Even when attacked by another person, he was always gracious and never engaged in ad hominem attacks.

He will  be missed greatly by many... RIP Nick.

by spikey on 2012-05-07 14:13:30

damn.... ; (

by MerlinFL on 2012-05-07 14:42:02

This will reside on my personal Forum as a marker to which I can always return to remember.  I am posting this here in the Line 6 Lounge where I first read of his passing and hope that portions of this will be copied and posted elsewhere in honor of Nick Mattocks.

Nick_Mattocks wrote:

Just saying that spaceatl posted a solution quite a while ago on controlling 2 Line 6 amps (Spider Valve and Flextone III specifically) by making use of a modified RJ-45 in-line splitter plug and taking power only from one of the amps FBV output but leaving the control pin(s) connected.  It will work with any pair of amps that are compatible with the FBV standard.

The link is here: and it's been posted as a document in Line 6 Lounge  http://line6.com/community/thread/1093

regards

Nick

This is a man who will be very much missed by myself and the Line 6 community as a whole.  He was also such a wonderful source of information, help, and just a great man who tried to put everything into perspective for anyone willing to read his words.

I found this reply at the early position of my forum and wished to place this here as a remembrance of the passing of Nick_Mattocks from England.  I can never visit his physical resting place, but I can at least show my respects in the only way I have available.  I do not know the religion to which Nick subscribed, but I hope neither he nor his family would mind if these words I was able to copy and post here give some sort of comfort knowing that his life touched so many in ways -most outside of this Line 6 community- may not have ever been aware of.  He will be missed and never forgotten by those of us he touched with his words.

I did only two things to the prayers I've found...

1. Entered the name of Nick Mattocks where required
  2. Left the headings to show what these prayers are meant for and that I did not create them, but can only appreciate them at a time like this.

Prayers for the Deceased

to On Eagle's Wings

Prayer for the Deceased Person

Almighty Father, eternal God, hear our prayers for Your son Nick Mattocks whom You have called from this life to Yourself. Grant him light, happiness, and peace. Let him pass in safety through the gates of death, and live forever with all Your saints in the light You promised to Abraham and to all his descendants in faith. Guard him/her from all harm and on that great day of resurrection and reward raise him up with all Your saints. Pardon his sins and give him eternal life in Your kingdom. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Prayer for the Deceased Person and for Mourners

Lord Jesus, our Redeemer, You willingly gave Yourself up to death so that all people might be saved and pass from death into a new life. Listen to our prayers; look with love on Your people who mourn and pray for their dead brother. Lord Jesus, You alone are holy and compassionate; forgive our brother his sins.

By dying You opened the gates of life for those who believe in You; do not let Your brother be parted from You, but by Your glorious power give him light, joy, and peace in heaven where You live for ever and ever. Amen.

For One Who Died After a Long Illness

Most faithful God, lively is the courage of those who hope in You. Your servant Nick Mattocks suffered greatly, but placed his trust in Your mercy. Confident that the petition of those who mourn pierces the clouds and finds an answer, we beg You, give rest to Nick Mattocks. Do not remember his sins, but look upon his sufferings and grant him refreshment, light, and peace. We ask this through Christ our Lord. Amen.

by meambobbo on 2012-05-07 14:56:05

A real shame to lose such a nice and wise person. Let's all try to be a little more like him.

by cgtrox on 2012-05-07 17:39:39

Wow, I am truly saddened and at a loss for words. I have known Sir Nick for quite some time and we were both happy to be inducted into the first round of the Line 6 Expert program. He was a true gentleman and ALWAYS helped everyone he could with the utmost respect. He was a wealth of knowledge towards gear in general and always supplied a potent and sometimes humorous anectdote to any problem he would tackle online. There aren't many like him and I was glad to be able to call him a friend. R.I.P. my brother and God bless....

This is a fitting tribute to Sir Nick... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKQpRgxyyqo

cgtrox

by toasterdude on 2012-05-07 18:30:51

What a loss. I can honestly say that not only on these forums but on pretty much any forum I visit I would be hard pressed to think of a more positive, even keeled, helpful guy. . . .or should I say chap? As big a loss as this community suffered, I am sure it pales to how Nick's family and close friends must feel. My deepest sympathy to Nick's loved ones. RIP buddy. . . .

by davidb7170 on 2012-05-07 19:17:48

What a loss.... I learned a lot from Nick's posts. Always friendly, always kind, even with sometimes less than kind posts directed his way by some of the uninitiated. A patient, calm voice and clarity of technical help for many, always came through. We'll all miss him...

My deepest sympathies, along with all those here.

Dave

by Apologist on 2012-05-07 19:32:46

by litesnsirens on 2012-05-07 21:31:38

Terrible news.  What a great guy he was.  He helped me on numerous occasions and of course I have seen on here how eager he was to share his knowledge with so many of us.

by hoodcreeper on 2012-05-07 21:52:15

So sorry to hear that news.  He has helped many people here and I'm sure he would be happy to know how positively he has effected those in need.

by olerabbit on 2012-05-08 01:16:38

Thanks, Nick.

You taught me secrets to understand things much more better than before.

Your language was clear and you nailed things to their basics.

You were engaged, loyal and very extremely helpful. You meant what you said.

You shared your long-standing experience and let us grow. You explained what you said.

You loved music. You loved to play music.

Thanks, Nick.

Rest in peace.

by Rowbi on 2012-05-08 01:47:14

Line6Tony wrote:

Fellow Line 6ers,

nick.jpg

I had the pleasure of meeting Nick and hanging out with him for a couple of days at Musikmesse 2011 as well as knowing him as a very active, helpful and friendly member of this community.  There's me on the right in the photo above.  Myself and Nick were in our element at Messe, as we're both total gear heads, and we used to chat about every aspect of guitars, amps, pedals, etc, on an almost daily basis via email.  I must agree with Rich, as Nick was certainly just as much a gentleman in real life as he was on here.  He had endless time for anyone who needed help (even those who weren't very grateful too).

I'm certainly going to miss having Nick around these forums, and not being able to chat at great length about gear with him over email.  My thoughts though are with his family and close friends who have known him all his life, and who will be suffering the most during these tough times.

Rest in peace my friend, we won't forget you.

Andy

Message was edited by: Rowbi

by edstar1960 on 2012-05-08 02:11:47

I am deeply saddened by this news. My thoughts, prayers and deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Nick helped me a lot on this forum and via personal messages and I will miss him greatly. He was such a warm, helpful and extremely knowledgable guy  and touched many people's lives in such a positive manner through this forum alone - a great loss to the world.

Rest in peace Nick - we will always remember you.

by Vettaville-nl on 2012-05-08 03:44:10

Yesterday i saw a post on my facebook account regarding the passing of Nick. I was struck by it and remember him well. I was fortuanate to have had email, telephone en reallife conversations with him. I met him in person during Messe 2011 and as many herre have stated a foremost gentleman in every aspect.

Respectfull en helpfull to everyone, those two fine characteristics are so overwhelmingly powerfull when they are combined within a person as theydid with Nick. It's so sadning when Nick leaves us to soon. i'd wish those human beings as Nick would have the dominant part of our human society..., no disrespect to anyone...

I wish his family, friends all the strength to cope with this loss.

i salute Nick as an inspirational human being and feel priviliged that our paths have crossed.

Nick Mattocks thank you for you.

Sincerely

Hans Ligtenberg

by Rewolf48 on 2012-05-08 04:51:06

I have nothing to add that can really improve on what others have posted before - I only knew him from these forums and I know we shall all miss him and his contribution badly.

Matt

by laplayantonio on 2012-05-08 05:41:25

thank you, Nick...

by Line6bakker on 2012-05-08 05:50:13

So sad to see this post...

Nick was always there to help with the most accurate answers for everybody

I will never forget the long enlightening talks we had in the Frankfurt hotel bar.
I wish Nick's family all the strength during this difficult times

we'll miss you sir Nick

Serge

by Triryche on 2012-05-08 06:12:08

Although I did not know Nick personally, I have gained a great deal of knowledge from his insightful posts.

There is a certain pulse or beat that will be greatly missed in the forums.

My deepest condolences to Nick's Family and Friends. 

R.I.P. Nick

by geriatric on 2012-05-08 06:21:26

Having come late in life to the world of Line 6, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the contributions that Nick made in these forums. He enlarged my understanding for a lot of gear. It feels like losing a good friend. Never met him, but one didn't need to do that to understand what a patient and gracious soul he undoubtedly was. The mark that a man leaves in life is often that depth of loss others feel at his passing. Nick left a big footprint across the pages of these forums. We'll still see it as we turn back the pages but it stops at his last post. Sad day for us but much sadder for his loved ones. My prayer is that there'll be good friends that wil support them in their grief and loss.

by leyfr01 on 2012-05-08 06:33:46

My heart and prayers go out to Sir Nick and his family. He will be sorely missed not only as an incredibly knowledgeable contributor but as a person with a warm heart. The good ones leave us way too soon. God Speed.

Frank

Orlando, FL

by amgamg on 2012-05-08 08:39:42

Sorry to see this...I didnt know Nick well..and only knew him from the forum .

The times I did communicate with him I always thought he was a nice guy...a bit long winded but always helpful.

I liked him and I'm sure he'll be missed

Best wishes to his loved ones.

by Dbourget on 2012-05-08 14:24:59

Nick was always there to help me with whatever I was having problems with, wither it was XTlive, X3live or my HD500 he would try and try to help me. I will really miss him. This Forum will never be the same...... Rest in peace my friend.....

Dan

by Hey_Joe on 2012-05-08 16:04:26

This is a mindblower!

Nick was a Storehouse of Wisdom.

He will be sadly missed everywhere he made contributions of his technical prowess.

There now exists a great hole in the Line 6 forum. The only good thing that we can all rejoice in is that Nick is at rest and free from suffering.

by jungjung on 2012-05-08 16:19:33

Nick helped me emencely sad and surprised to see him gone.

by jasonbogen on 2012-05-08 17:34:27

Wow!  Now there's there's something that hadn't even occured to me as a possibility.  Sometimes you almost forget you are conversing with real living human beings on message boards like this.  We lost a real good one!  Very sad to hear this. 

Rest in peace Nick.

Jason

by jyflorida on 2012-05-08 17:46:13

Nick helped me out both directly and indirectly, and was always a great person.  I never had the pleasure of meeting him face to face but he was always pleasant to chat with & a great help on the boards.  Nick, you will be sorely missed by all who had the good fortune of your help and your friendship.

by markcockerill on 2012-05-08 18:32:03

Always sad when someone goes. Especially those who actually offer something to society as a whole and often for little reward. My deepest condolences to his family.

by SSstormtrooper on 2012-05-09 00:02:51

I only knew Nick on here but he was awesome. Always kind, respectful and a wealth of helpfulness and inginuity. A true class act with regard to helping people.

by jstock1 on 2012-05-09 05:08:05

A genuine guy, always helpful never lowering himself to the level of antagonists; his advice was always sound and measured. His help and advise has always been invaluable on here and to me personally.  Nick will be  missed.

by afkasm on 2012-05-09 09:42:51

A terrible shock , Nick was a great benefit to these forums and his input and personallity will be missed greatly . Very sad news

by Beacher on 2012-05-10 00:01:51

We had many wonderful email discussions about Line 6 and music in general. You can tell a lot about a person from the words they write. A real stand up guy. Always willing to lend a hand to problems and provide suggestions.

You will not be forgotten.

Beacher from Canada.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-05-10 12:59:18

While this isn't officially supported by Line6, Nick's wife, Penny, let me know of a charity that Nick supported.  It is the North Clwyd Animal Rescue in Wales where Nick adopted his dog, Sam.  If you'd like to remember Nick's giving attitude by supporting this charity, there is a page where you can place a donation in his memory. 

http://www.justgiving.com/NickMattocks">http://www.justgiving.com/NickMattocks">http://www.justgiving.com/NickMattocks

It is absolutely secure and legit.  You can donate using PayPal or debit card and you do not need to be a British taxpayer.

by Line6Tony on 2012-05-10 13:11:59

Thanks for your follow-up and post, Karl. Line 6 is 100% behind the notion of donating to Nick's favorite charity.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-05-14 13:22:52

That's so cool of you guys!  Thanks, Tony!

by jackswcc on 2012-05-15 04:23:57

So sad to hear about Nick. We remember happy days at West Cheshire College in the Foundation Section. Nick taught me all I know about computers. Love and prayers to Penny.

Jackie Sears and Liz Glynn

by TheRealZap on 2012-05-15 07:22:55

img.png

In Memory of my friend.

by stumpsout on 2012-05-18 23:54:30

Oh my, what a shock.

Thank you, Nick for being such a nice and helpful guy. Thanks for rooting for me. I wish i could be more like you were, damn temper gets the better of me too often. Thanks for the great example you set of patience and caring.

by bluebluetones on 2012-05-20 10:58:56

My heart is with Nick's family,

Like a lot of us who visit the forum, I never met Nick.  But when his name appeared on my screen, it was always a friendly addition to any conversation and I came to appreciate his style as a welcome and helpful writer.

We could always count on him to provide solid and insightful tips.  That kind of generosity will always be remembered by myself. 

There are quite a few contributors who are equally as helpful (we all know who they are - I am too humble to mention them by name) and I appreciate all the effort they put in to this forum.

Nick's sincere willingness to help is not forgotten on me, and I continue to help and contribute in his spirit.

Brian

Burlington, Ontario, Canada

by geeker on 2012-05-22 02:30:49

Words can not describe how I feel right now. Nick always went out of his way to help others and me on the forms here. A true gentleman.

My heart goes out to his family and friends.

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-05-27 07:06:19

What can I add that hasn't been said already? I never met Nick, but he was the first to congratulate me on becoming an Expert via a very nice PM that I still have and will now always keep. I always felt a bit of a fake expert next to Nick with those huge essays he wrote and his patience was something to aspire to.

Please don't forget the charity link:

http://www.justgiving.com/NickMattocks

by roblof on 2012-05-28 14:25:57

Everything has already been said, so I'll just do a +1.

by ozbadman on 2012-06-16 19:52:47

I only just saw this today and am shocked and deeply saddened. Beyond being a generous source of knowledge, Nick showed us all how to act in life. A truly sad day, but hopefully those of us who have learnt humility and respect from Nick will carry that little bit of Nick with us forward. He showed us how to help make the world a better place. RIP.

by mcolquitt on 2012-10-30 22:54:01

I was fearful of this after I read a comment in a post today regarding "the late great Nick Mattocks". I am completely floored by the fact that I missed this and only now am finding out. How could I have been so asleep?

I am not nearly the caliber member most of you folks are but I clearly recall the many times I thought to myself after reading one of his helpful and always respectful post's, what a great asset he is/was to this community.

My heartfelt sympathies to his family. May he rest in peace!

Mark

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-10-31 06:09:42

If anyone feels led, I invite you to please contribute a small donation to Nick's favorite charity in his memory.  He was a genuine giving man himself, as evidenced by all of the testimony here.

http://www.justgiving.com/NickMattocks">http://www.justgiving.com/NickMattocks">http://www.justgiving.com/NickMattocks

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.