These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD500 midi - sustain pedal
by Kupsik on 2012-05-09 06:55:53

Hi,

maybe it's been already answered, but I wasn't able to find any related post.. So my big question is: Is there any setting how to mimic sustain pedal behaviour when using POD HD500 as midi controller? What I mean is to set one footswitch to send one MIDI message when pressed (eg. CC# 64, value 127) and another when depressed (CC# 64, value 000)? I've bough Terratex Axon 100 MkII for guitar-to-midi setups and I would like to completely control it through MIDI by POD HD500. I was able to set everything except this sustain-pedal-like behaviour. I know I can use expression pedal to do something similar, but it doesn't have the feel like when classic sustain pedal style is used...

Re: POD HD500 midi - sustain pedal
by vidaljuanes on 2012-05-09 07:26:24

hola, podrias hacer el circuito unilineal de las conexiones para entender mas tu consulta.

desde ya gracias.

atte.

J.V.

by Kupsik on 2012-05-09 10:07:52

Sorry I don't understand Spanish :-(

But I have an idea, is it safe to connect classic switch pedal into connector for external expression pedal? My idea is that it could send valu 000 when depressed and valu 127 when pressed...

by jimsreynolds on 2012-05-10 05:30:36

I dont think you can do it with the footswitches.  Sustain pedals are 'momentary' and are 'on'  when depressed  and 'off' when released.   The footswitches on the HD do not support that mode.  Only toggle (one press for 'on', second press for  'off').

However,you can do it with the expression pedal just by doing a MIDI assign.  Obviously the EXP pedal is not spring-loaded but the setup should be otherwise familiar!    This assumes that the device you are controlling  accepts the midi convention of cc value 0-63 = off, 64-127 = on.

expmidi.gif

by Kupsik on 2012-05-12 06:33:14

Thanks for your reply. I already tried your solution, it it definitely better than using footswitches for sustain, but not perfect. I might stick with extra sustain pedal for now.  I also tried to connect sustain pedal instead of external expression pedal, but result isn't perfect. Sometimes it do everything right but sometimes it stuck in "pressed" MIDI value and doesn't return to "depressed" value. I might try one roland sustain pedal (don't know exact name or model) with switch for continuous setting I've seen used by friend of mine...

by Kupsik on 2012-06-19 10:12:01

I'm "reopening" my little bit old topic. Today I've found that if you set any footswitch to send MIDI Note On Message, footswitch send Note On message when pressed and send Note Off message when depressed. So hardware of POD HD500 is capable of sending different midi message when footswitch is pressed or depressed, so it's only matter of implementing it into software (firmware). I've already made request of this feature. If anyone wants this too, please make request, too...

by Rewolf48 on 2012-06-22 05:14:27

If you have ever experimented with the Test Mode on an HD500 you will clearly see this too.  Test Mode is right nav button held down when powering on and you need to go into it to do the expression pedal calibration; well underneath Expression Pedal are a set of other options one of which is switches.

In this mode you have a page of zeros and as you press each switch down the first zero relating to that switch goes to 1, and as you release it the second zero changes to 1.  Clearly the software can see down and up events for all switches, so as JanKupsa has worked out it should be possible to have the switches act in a press to hold mode or to send controller values if L6 chooses to give us this functionality.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.