These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Recommendations for Auditioning Modeled Tones on JTV69
by AlexMcLellan on 2012-05-15 18:49:00

Hi,

I've tried the JTV69 twice as well as the Roland G5 recently, but found it was hard to discern the different models. For example, the banjo seemed to barely sound like a banjo and the acoustic models sounded very electric. The sitar was clear, but the strat/tele tones seemed almost identical. I tried the guitars with two tube amps and a solid state amp. I'm very much a beginner with guitars but I checked the obvious things like ensuring the gain wasn't electrifying the tones. On the various youtube videos the different tones are clearly discernable e.g., Simon Bradley from Guitarist magazine).

Any suggestions for how to best hear the different tones? A specific amp? Specific amp settings for specific tones? Headphones?

Thanks!

Alex

Re: Recommendations for Auditioning Modeled Tones on JTV69
by Rewolf48 on 2012-05-16 04:54:50

To hear the tones properly - especially the acoustic ones you need a really clean amp that can repreduce the full range of frequencies (FRFR = Full Range Flat Response); guitar amps (tube or otherwise) do not do this as they don't have the tweeter required to output the high frequencies properly, and the main speaker often colours the sound anyway.

For a shop test I suggest either a dedicated Acoustic Guitar Amp, Keyboard Amp or a PA (e.g. a powered PA speaker) - as long as it can accept an instrument level signal on a 1/4" Jack.

Or you can use something like a POD HD 500 with a new patch (nothing in the chain at all) into a pair of headphones.

My personal set-up is JTV69 via VDI Cable into a POD HD 500 into a pair of FBT MaxX 2A powered PA speakers which allows me to go completely clean or add a little compression, eq and reverb if required.  I hadn't touched the chime, semi or jazz variax sounds much before, but with just a light bit of compression (Tube Comp) they all sound great amplified this way.

by MerlinFL on 2012-05-16 14:02:24

Another option is to using an good quality bass amp with an adjustable gain for the horn/tweeter in the cabinet.

I use my bass gear for all my acoustic patches for just this reason.

Almost forgot to ask - what JTV software version are you running?  Your description of the sounds seems like your are runing JTV 1.81?

by Rewolf48 on 2012-05-17 04:41:29

Merlin,

When I wrote my reply last night it was while I was upgrading 1.81 to 1.82.

I am one of those who prefers the 1.8x Acoustic sounds anyway - especially when playing solo, but I didn't get a chance for more than a quick check to make sure that the upgrade had worked last night (I am in the UK). 1.82 seemed ok, but I didn't get a chance to test the alt tunings.  One fault that is still outstanding is that using the HD500 Tuner with an alt tuning selected will tune against the alt tuning, but when you exit the tuner the JTV still resets to standard tuning.

My view is that the Variax Acoustics should sound like an Acoustic in isolation with the body sounds coming out; I know that this won't fit well into a mix, but for that situation you should EQ just as you would with an Amped Electric, which will mean cutting a lot of the low end out and perhaps boosting higher frequencies if you really want it to sound like a peizo pickup being used.

Your view may (and probably does) vary, but each to their own ears

by litesnsirens on 2012-05-18 04:46:33

There's a 1.82?? I'll have to snoop around for that.

by MerlinFL on 2012-05-18 11:04:25

Hi Litesnsirens - no snooping required. 

It's on the download page, or will show up if you plug into Monkey BUT you need a new version of Monkey for these updates to work.  Monkey needs to be upgraded first.

by litesnsirens on 2012-05-18 13:06:42

Hi Neal, is it the same monkey that was required for 1.81 or is there a new version of that too?  Also have you tried the models since the update? Any thoughts?

by MerlinFL on 2012-05-18 13:17:19

New Monkey version located here if you are a Windows user.

http://line6.com/software/index.html

This must update first, then all else will fall into place automatically, or located on the same Downloads page showing which downloads are available and the date they were posted so there is no confusion about which version is the most recent.

Take care,

Neal

by litesnsirens on 2012-05-18 13:44:32

Thanks Neal, much appreciated.  I'm curious to hear what this new tone setting offers.  I've not been one to complain about any room sound but there is a bit of a midrange honk on some of the models and there is definitely an overtone ringing from the low E up to the G that carries over to the octaves.  Sometimes the correction of one issue inadvertently fixes another.  I'm not real hopeful but curious about what they added to the tone know just the same.  I'll get to it this weekend.

by markcockerill on 2012-05-18 21:43:53

I've installed 1.82 and am very happy with the acoustics now. The real joy is that Line 6 actually listened to you guys and did something about it sharpish. Quite remarkable really, massive kudos.

Just for clarity, I played the JTV straight into my DT50 head and 4x12 and acoustics sound pretty darn good. I'm really pleased with the 12 strings but my ears are mine.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.