These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

DT25. Which one Combo or Head+Cabinet?
by Jephys on 2012-05-23 08:33:21

After checking what's out there looks like the DT25 is the way to go for me. I need a good amp and the synergies with my POD HD500 are going to be awesome.

However, I am not sure if I should go for the Combo or the Head plus the cabinet. Any thougths?

Thanks in advance. I need some expert advice.

Joe

Re: DT25. Which one Combo or Head+Cabinet?
by TheRealZap on 2012-05-23 08:50:17

the head plus cab allows you to grown into a bigger cab if you need to down the road.

by gtrman100 on 2012-05-23 21:59:19

If you get the combo, you can always add an extension cab for bigger venues. You get the convenience of portability, and can expand when needed. That's what I do.

by hollis1003 on 2012-05-24 05:12:47

I have a DT-50 head and here is why:

• I like closed back cabinets better than open back cabinets.
  • Some gigs there might be a 4x12 provided by the venue or other bands playing and I just need to bring the head.
  • I can run 2 4x12s if really want to be loud and I can also use a 1x12 if that's all that's around.
  • At any time if I find a 4x12 that sounds better/different than mine (with the V30s in it) and can trade out my cabinet for the new one.
  • Although the head itself is heavy, I think the combos are heavier by 10-15 lbs at least.

It just works for my needs.  You need to think about what kind of music you will be playing and the musicians you will be playing with.  If you play heavy rock or metal you probably would prefer closed back cabinets.  If you play mostly clean sounds then you might prefer open back cabinets.  If the drummers you play with don't hit the skins like a pimp on a misbehaving ho, then you don't need lots of speakers to hear yourself play.  (sorry for the off color joke)

I see all too often people come here asking questions and almost never say how they will be using whatever it is they are asking about.  PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give some background information about the type of music you will be playing and what kinds of other instruments are in the band.

by gtrman100 on 2012-05-24 07:59:45

"hit the skins like a pimp on a misbehaving ho"... is this from personal experience? Lol!

by Jephys on 2012-05-24 08:54:49

Great thoughts everyone!!

When it comes to hollis1003's question I will mostly be playing pop / rock and some jazz / blues. Not really into metal or heavy rock.

The amp might be used with a band every now and then (with a well behaved drummer). However, most of the time I will be using the DT25 at home playing by myself.

Keep the good insights coming.

by malnack on 2012-05-24 13:09:57

I went with the combo. A few months in now and I'm really pleased with it. I play in a power pop band and my tone is usually clean or slightly crunchy. It has worked out well. However, we recently played a really large venue on an enormous stage. I had the combo on my amp stand and it was very directional on stage. If I stood directly in line with the combo, it was so loud that I was way too aware of every nuance. If I moved about a foot outside of a direct line, I could barely hear it. Not sure a larger cab would've helped but it was a weird experience.

by MerlinFL on 2012-05-24 13:46:33

Best and simplest user solution to big outdoor stages is to hook up a powered monitor pointed at you.  If the PA doesn't provide enough or any stage monitoring, so you can move around without being too loud for yourself or too quiet, try this simple solution.  Get any inexpensive powered monitor with either a 10" or 12" speaker, plus a variable horn/tweeter. 

Most of these monitors will give you a much wider range of coverage and it will give you at least two sound sources that you can "spread around" in order to hear yourself well over a much larger area as well as help your bandmates hear you better as well since it will be pointed back towards the band.  I'd say just get an external monitor cab with variable horn /tweeter level and plug it in facing you, but I do not know if your amp has the capacity for additional ohm loads.

Another even more simple, but perhaps not a nice cosmetically, is to use a baffle panel.  If you have one you can angle it so that you direct sound is reflected around more.  If you have two, you can literally cover the entire stage by making it into a "V" shape right between two or in the dead center of one speaker and this will keep your ears from being blown up in front of the amp while sending the sound in whatever combination of directions you need to to hear best.  Using various coverings, like a thin sheet of fabric or even cardboard will change the overall tone if it is still too piercing with just the baffle alone.

None of this is Line 6 Dream Rig approved. LOL, but they are some old school stage tricks to get the most and spending the least.

I hope these "tricks" help you and anyone who might read it having a similar situation,

Neal

malnack wrote:

I went with the combo. A few months in now and I'm really pleased with it. I play in a power pop band and my tone is usually clean or slightly crunchy. It has worked out well. However, we recently played a really large venue on an enormous stage. I had the combo on my amp stand and it was very directional on stage. If I stood directly in line with the combo, it was so loud that I was way too aware of every nuance. If I moved about a foot outside of a direct line, I could barely hear it. Not sure a larger cab would've helped but it was a weird experience.

by malnack on 2012-05-24 14:10:12

Thanks a bunch! Normally we're in smaller venues maybe 200 or less. This venue was 500+ with a balcony. I think the height of the room was part of the issue too. I was standing about 8 feet from the drums and could barely hear them. I like the baffle idea. I'm usually reluctanct to ask for "more me" in the monitors as we quickly crowd out our vocalist. If we can't hear her we're all in trouble.

by Jephys on 2012-05-24 15:35:39

Listening to you guys and after doing additional research I think an open back cabinet suits my style best. That means I will go with the combo. Also, I can always add and extension cabinet if I need to .

Thanks a bunch!!

PS: Check out this link if you are not sure if you are and open or closed back cabinet guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaL-wMlbds

">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaL-wMlbds">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STaL-wMlbds

by MerlinFL on 2012-05-24 16:06:51

Glad I could help with some old school methods. 

Too bad I don't get points for it...LOL

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.