These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

POD HD500 to Vox Valvetronix
by gusbus on 2012-05-25 20:39:56

Okay, so I'm a total newbie to amp modelling and guitar tone and all the rest, although I have been playing guitar now for around 6 years. I recently bought a PODHD500 and I'm trying to hook it up to my Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, and it sounds like absolute crap! From what I understand, this is because my amp is already a modelling amp and it's just not a good idea to be overlaying the pod and the amps sounds. I'm hearing things about FX loops and different set ups, But I really have no idea...

Does anyone have any advice as to the best way to set up my HD500 with the Vox Amp? And it's be awesome if you have any general advice as to how to get the best sounds out of the POD, as I am clueless! Should I be looking into a new amp? I also don't know much about amps and what types are best for what, so any advice would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Gus

Re: POD HD500 to Vox Valvetronix
by applemad on 2012-05-26 11:01:19

Disclaimer: I am not an expert. I am learning as I go. The things I think I know may be incorrect.

That said, here is my 2 cents. The Vox amp (and really any standard guitar amp) you are using will color the sound of the POD if you plug it straight into the guitar input. If you dial in a super setup listening through headphones and then plug it in to the guitar input it will not sound the same. The tone circuit and the modeling of the amp itself change the careful preparations you made (or the tone of the preset). Also keep in mind that the POD emulates speakers which in the real world can sound quite different from one another. So as I see it, feeding a speaker/mic emulation into a speaker with its own character changes the sound.

There are several things you might do to mitigate these issues. Using the effects loop on an amp may cut the tone section of the amplifier out of the signal path depending on how its implemented on the amp. If you have to plug directly into the guitar input on the amp try setting the tone controls on the amp to "flat" and work on the model or preset on the POD until it sounds better. Sometimes changing the speaker used or the mic used in the POD settings can  help the tone when you use it with a guitar amp. You may also find that using the POD directly into a PA type amplifier and speaker setup may sound better. I have also found a few keyboard amps with tweeters built in tend to color the sound less if you use them with a POD.

by gusbus on 2012-05-26 22:54:23

Thanks for the advice! I don't think my amp has an effects loop so I think I'm just gonna have to tinker with my sound. Maybe I should invest in a good PA and speakers? Do you have any suggestions for good gear?

by jimsreynolds on 2012-05-27 00:03:57

If your amp does not have an effects loop then the name of the game is to make your amp setup as neutral as possible and set the right output mode on the POD

• Choose a patch on the AD50 that is totally clean. 
  • Set your amp tone controls all to their middle setting
  • Set the output type (in the POD setup mode) to 'Combo 'Front'. 
  • Have a play with the EQ and focus settings that are included.   These need to be set for each amp individually.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.