These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Is HD300 a solution for me? (Apartment + headphones practice)
by MadYarpen on 2012-05-29 00:44:09

Hello everyone!

For couple of months I'm serching for an alternative for my little crappy Roland 15 XL amp - and what I need is good hi-gain sound (behemoth, vesania, children of bodom etc.) on low volume levels. I was thinking about blackstar HT-5 for example, 5W, FX loop, 12 inch speaker. add some boost and it can be quite nice.

But I've came to the conclusion, that I can't achieve what I want on an apartment volume level. I have neighbours who are really a pain in a**. I have to play really quite, also I work so practicing when everyone else is at work is not an option. And I want it to sound good, cause my apartment is the only place I play, so no compromises here!

This is why I thought about HD300 - it fits my budget, has delay and reverb which are only FX I will need (well, there is also wah so I would be able to use that also if needed!), and it should in theory make it possible to play with headphones - and sound great while doing so. Or am I wrong?

Well, this is my question - am I right or wrong about what I wrote above? Is HD300 good solution for home practice with headphones? Or is there no solution at all? I like the idea of different amps in one device, so any help will be appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Re: Is HD300 a solution for me?
by greghall on 2012-05-29 01:32:53

IMO the HD300 is perfect for what you want, and amazing what you get for little more than a good quality pedal. I'd recommend getting a good set of headphones though - it makes a big difference.

by stollypop on 2012-05-29 02:47:34

The HD 300 is a great pedal for the money and like matey  (above) says perfect for your requirements. I have only tried the 300 so cannot comment on the 400 and 500. When a friend let me try his (with headphones) i could not believe how good it sounded, so good i ordered one the next day. I really don't think you'll be dissapointed, you'll just wish you would have bought one ages ago. I mainly use mine for home and studio for which it's ideal.

by MadYarpen on 2012-05-29 02:55:55

Thanks a lot for quick answers. As for headphones - currently I have AKG K77, which are nice but nothing special. I will probably buy Superlux HD-660 which I've read are really great for their price (and also have impendency @150 ohms so fit to what Line 6 is reccomending).

Re: Is HD300 a solution for me? (Apartment + headphones practice)
by TheRealZap on 2012-05-29 05:25:52

i'd recommend the HD desktop (bean version) has more effects more flexibility etc...

i have the bean, the 300, and the 500... and the 300 is indeed nice, but it has some limits that might end up being frustrating...

a big example for a high gain user... can't run conpression, eq, or tube screamer type effects together because they all reside on the FX1 position... you can run only 1 of these.

by MadYarpen on 2012-05-29 05:39:04

Sadly it exeeds my budget... And you know, no 300 limitation will make it worse than roland Cube 15XL on low volume. So my guess is I will be satisfied. And when 300 starts to be limitating, I'll buy something else - I'm just begginer so I won't be using 100% of potential right away.

by stratchamp on 2012-05-29 05:48:38

YOu can get used hd500's used for the price of a new hd300.  Once you see all the limintations of the 300 you'll be wondering why you just didn't get the 500.  It would be better for the long run.

by MadYarpen on 2012-05-29 05:57:47

I would certainly buy 500 for 300 price. Only problem is that here, in Poland, I can't find any used ones:) I guess i would find it on e-bay but buying it from UK or whatever, don't know, kind of risky bussines... Looks like there aren't many people willing to sell their HD500;)

by TheRealZap on 2012-05-29 06:08:08

if it helps any... the power supplies are universal and you can buy an HD pod from anywhere in the world and it will work....

i like my 300, its simple enough that any jamming visitors can jump right in.

by MadYarpen on 2012-05-29 06:09:50

I meant shipping costs, being able to check if it works etc. That kind of risk.

I've just received money from tax office, looks like I started this thread right on time! Will be ordering POD shortly

by ChrisRT on 2012-05-29 14:30:13

I had a HD300. I now have a zoom g5. The G5 is much better. It has drums or metronome to play along with too.

Id at least try it.

by MadYarpen on 2012-05-31 01:35:27

One more question - how does POD work with mp3 player plugged in while playing on headphones? Is there anything  to complain?

by greghall on 2012-05-31 02:00:03

It works really well, I use it a lot on my HD500.

Just be careful with a cable conected when it's on the floor. These unit's are robust, but if you tread on the 1/8th inch cable connection you can damage the internal socket. 1/4 inch connections are much better on floor units.

by MadYarpen on 2012-05-31 02:09:18

Thanks, you guys rock here! Really appreciate all the help.

*goes back to used HD500 hunt*

by MadYarpen on 2012-06-05 09:54:15

Today at work I received my HD300! Managed only to do firmware update and check factory prosets (most of which are quite useless I have to say, at least for me) and I think I will love it! Sounds really nice, and if I spend some time setting this toy up, effect should be perfect.

And by the way, this is some serious piece of gear! Didn't expect it to be so big and heavy!

by TheRealZap on 2012-06-05 17:55:24

yeah the metal construction is super nice...

preset 27A is of course most excellent (i did that one hehe)

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.