These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

I don´t understand what INPUTS 1&2 in the POD HD 500 are...
by fechart on 2012-05-31 10:46:59

Please help me understanding this issue, I read in another post that setting INPUT 2 to VARIARX sounds better... But when I change this setting nothing happens...

Thanks!

Re: I don´t understand what INPUTS 1&2 in the POD HD 500 are...
by johnpicton on 2012-05-31 11:19:20

The principle is that because the Variax input is digital and not analogue - when you set the second input to Variax you don't introduce unwanted interference.

To be honest people are divided on how effective doing this is. I personally don't notice much if any difference.

Try it (as you have) if you think it works for you go with it, if you don't then don't bother.

by fechart on 2012-06-02 17:53:23

Hi there,

I would like to understand if these are two physical inputs or virtual inputs to channel A/B when using two amps within the signal chain of a patch.

Thanks and cheers!

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-06-04 16:31:47

This is from the manual and if you understand this, you will be able to edit patches much better.

About Source Input Signal Routing:

It is important to note how POD HD500 actually routes Source Inputs 1 and 2 through

Amp & FX Blocks that are positioned “Pre” position. The following behaviors apply:

•  In a configuration with no Amp or FX Blocks in Pre, Input 1 is fed only to Path A

and Input 2 only to Path B. Therefore, this is the best configuration if you want to

retain discrete Input Sources into Paths A & B.

•  Placing an Amp Block or an active mono FX Model in Pre results in a “mix-down”

of Input Sources 1 & 2, feeding the same, combined signal int o each Path A & B.

•  Placing a Stereo FX Model in Pre results in the left channel FX output being fed to

Path A and its right output to Path B.*

•  The Mixer Block’s Volume and Pan options provide independent control for Path

A & B outputs before they are fed through any Blocks positioned “Post” the Mixer.

•  By setting Input 2 to “Same,” this effectively routes your Input Source to both stereo

Paths A & B (which is how you can feed one guitar input into two Amp Models and/

or parallel FX, for example).

by kylesalone on 2012-06-08 12:02:08

I have a Variax JTV69 and a Pod HD500 and my output is straight into a pa without an amp.. Do I plug my  JTV into the 1/4 jack and select input 1 as 'variax' (in the setup menu)? or do I use the special cable that came with the variax and plug it into the variax input on the hd? or do I use both the 1/4 guitar input plug-in and the variax input at the same time. If I use both inputs what do I select for the input 1 & 2 settings in the setup menu?

Thanks

by DeanDinosaur on 2012-06-08 17:30:12

I would use the digital cable that came with it inot the PODS variax input. For more felixiblity using the two outputs

. If I use both inputs what do I select for the input 1 & 2 settings in the setup menu?

Thanks

It's up to you, either Input One is variax and 2 is guitar, or input one is guitar and input 2 is variax. As long as you know that input one  corresponds with path A and Input 2 goes to path B in general if you're setting up for two dsicrete  signal paths. Keep in mind what I posted above from the manual specifically this part:

In a configuration with no Amp or FX Blocks in Pre, Input 1 is fed only to Path A

and Input 2 only to Path B. Therefore, this is the best configuration if you want to

retain discrete Input Sources into Paths A & B.

what makes this easier to understand is understand the use of the  the word "PRE"  and that it doesn't mean before the AMP. Pre means before the SPLIT  to A and B. SO if you have a distortion feeding two amps, then  that distortion is in the PRE, but if you move the distortion to only feed one amp while the other is dry,  then that distortion is in the POST position.

This whole thing becomes even clearer if you set up for Guitar and MIC lets's say. In this case you most likely would like to have two discrete paths . In this situation you wouldn't have any effect in the PRE POSITION unless you want to get experimental. Your signal paths would look like two parrallel straight lines. SO in this case if you put an amp in path A, then that should be for your guitar (so you chose input one Guitar), and path B would have a compressor or other things suited to a mic and that would be accomplished by choosing MIC for INPUT 2. Now if you're not using a mic and you chose MIC for input 2 , you will notice that the sound does clean up if you chose Variax for input 2. That's why many like to chose VARIAX for input two even though they don't own a variax, because it simply gives the  least noise verses "Mic" or MIC + AUX, etc etc.  That doesn't mean that you can't use guitar for input one and input two, this will essentially be like putting a boost infront of the amp because now the input is doubled. Persoanlly I use VARIAX for input two, even though I don't own one, in many of my patches but I also use Iinput 1 guitar and input 2 guitar in some patches because it's gives this nice boost..

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.