These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: XD-V Digital Wireless Microphones

wireless mic forums

Using XD-V75 TBP12 system with guitar?
by RichG on 2012-06-06 07:55:45

I run two wireless systems on one guitar.  Because of this, the half rack space size of the XD-V75 receiver is very attractive.  I'd like to run two of them side by side.  Is the TBP12 transmitter compatible with guitar... and if so, what are the differences between a G-90 system and a XD-V75 with a TBP12?

On another note... I already have a XD-V70.  If I go the G-90 route, can I link the antennas together on the G-90 and XD-V70 just as if I were running multiple XD-V70's?

Re: Using XD-V75 TBP12 system with guitar?
by dboomer on 2012-06-06 08:36:57

The difference between the G90 and the V75 are the feature sets so I'll refer you to the product details page.

Yes you can link the antennas.

by RichG on 2012-06-07 13:08:35

dboomer wrote:

The difference between the G90 and the V75 are the feature sets so I'll refer you to the product details page.

So, can the V75 system be used for guitar?

by RonMarton on 2012-06-07 13:35:53

It sure can, Rich...

As with their receivers, the TBP12 beltpack of the V75 is pretty much identical to that of the V70.

The really great news is that, with a TRS "stereo or balanced" jack to jack lead between them, the V75 becomes your USB "gateway" for Line 6 "Monkey" upgrading of any V70 gear you already own, ...as I did some time ago. (Click on the pink pic at left for details of my rig.)

Mounted alongside each other in a single rack-space, not only will your V70 and V75 be hard to tell apart, but they'll also be operationally identical once the 70's upgraded.

This means that even your older beltpacks will be able to run the V75's IF1 (Instrument Filter 1) setting for "guitar cable". When compared to the G90, all that's missing in terms of "guitar modeling" is an alternative "cable length".

Your V70/75 beltpacks will each need a guitar jack to TA4F cable (available with your preference of either straight or right-angled jack) such as this:

https://www.globalfulfillment.net/gfsnet/(S(rc2waufupby1tdehqp5pei55))/line6/10Expand.aspx?ProductCode=98-033-0025

or this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/WA304/

Iwish you years of happy playing !

by Sheriton on 2012-06-08 02:07:53

As an occasional bass player who never goes wireless, despite having kit that potentially could be used for the job, my query is always about connecting the receiver of a non-guitar wireless system to the amp / pedals / whatever the guitar would normally be plugged directly in to. Presumably the dedicated guitar systems output at a level and impedance that is very similar to a guitar in order to render the entire system as transparent as possible? Does using the low impedance, mic level output from the V70/75 to connect to the amp/pedals/etc make any difference?

I ask purely out of curiosity - knowing how fussy some guitar players can be about their tone, it would seem to me in theory that such a connection has potential to make quite a difference.

by RonMarton on 2012-06-08 04:19:18

You've raised a very good point, Sheriton.

As you say, connecting or "splitting" to obtain "our" signal (be it from mics or pick-ups) has been a major pain in the fundamental orifice from the very first time it was ever attempted.

Aside from often being the random generator of "buzzes, hisses and splats", every form of such connection seems to have its own "sound", hence the voodoo-like tribal discipleship, worship and/or witchcraft that became associated with "active versus passive", "transformer balancing versus electronic", "valves versus transistors", "brands of D.I. boxes" and so on.

Forget the voodoo. Assuming the correct cabling's being used, there really are just two parameters that apply here:

1. The level from the source (mic or pick-up) and
  2. The impedance (momentary resistance in response to rapid changes in waveforms) as "seen" by (or seeming to "load") that source.

Incorrect setting of the first (level) will yield either hiss or distortion, but not overly affect the actual "character" of the sound.

The setting of (or the "loading" by) the second (impedance) has the potential to alter almost every aspect of our precious signal, ...pickups and mics being most faithful in response when not "loaded" by impedances lower than those they've been designed to "see" or feed into.

Which is where Line 6's gear excels, ...the actual wiring effectively presets both parameters.

For a beltpack, the presence of an XL female socket means its primarily for mics, whereas a guitar jack means it'll work from (surprise, surprise !) pickups, stomp-boxes or instruments that have guitar jack outputs.

Their receivers are the same. There's a guitar jack socket (for use with standard tip/sleeve, mono "guitar" cables) on the back for sending to an amp's (or mixer's) guitar input ...and a chassis-mounted XL male plug to go to mic inputs.

That's all there is to it.

It would, however, be irresponsible of me not to add this warning:

For some, suddenly changing to Line 6's transparent signal path may be quite a shock, ...as it will be the first time the full real character of their sound has become audible ...without any "masking" or "modification" by less faithful systems.

Also the Surgeon General advises that the use of top quality audio devices is highly addictive. 

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.