These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

True Fuzz Tone, seriously is there one?
by wetredbox on 2012-06-07 19:26:11

man I can't find it.  a real 60's fuzz tone ala Tone Bender.  It is not here, perhaps it's impossible to model the germanium diodes, biut there were some pretty great silicone diode based ones.  How do you get your fuzz on with the HD?

Re: True Fuzz Tone, seriously is there one?
by Robinv1987 on 2012-06-08 04:42:46

Personaly I was also really looking at a real oldschool fuzz tone and indeed there is no real oldschool fuzztone on the PODHD, that is the reason when I bought my PODHD500 I also bought a Germanium fuzzbox, that I hooked up to my PODHD500 to make a killer tone

there are pretty good fuzz boxes, but if you want the beez knees of fuzz boxes you might want to get a pedal for it.

by Akeron on 2012-06-08 07:38:35

The emulation of the Vox Tone Bender is called "Jumbo Fuzz". The Colorsound version is called "Line 6 Drive",  with Output set to 100%.

by phil_m on 2012-06-08 07:56:31

There are so many different varieties of fuzz, that it would really hard to please everyone, but there are 9 different distortion models that are based on different fuzz pedals.  There's the Color Drive (Ok, technically an OD, but it's more fuzz than OD, if you ask me), Buzz Saw, Facial Fuzz, Jumbo Fuzz, Fuzz Pi (Big Muff), Jet Fuzz, Line 6 Drive, Sub Octave Fuzz, and Octave Fuzz. I know some of these probably are not necesarily vintage in character, but it should give you a good pallet of tones to work with. You can always try stacking different models together, too.

by wetredbox on 2012-06-08 13:33:43

yes, there are these models available.  none of them are even in the ballpark of real fuzz tone that they allegedly emulate.  It must be because the circuitry is so screwy and simple in a true fuzz box that it cannot be emulated in an algorithm, or some such thing.  yes a pedal in front of the HD works ok, but man, a real useable Tone Bender wound would be fun.  Does Line 6 ever revisit their attempts at these emulations and try to correct them or it it more of a  'here it is' kind of deal?

by wetredbox on 2012-06-08 13:37:28

yeah, considering doing this, which one did you buy?  was lloking at a new Sola Sound but that's more than the HD500/  Aaack

BYOC had one but is out of germanium diodes

by Robinv1987 on 2012-06-08 13:39:31

I have the Germanium4 BigMuff, its pretty cheap and basicly 2 pedals in 1

by phil_m on 2012-06-08 16:19:44

Line 6 does occasionally make changes to effect models, but I think with fuzz pedals there's so much variation even within the same model by the same manufacturer, it would be impossible for them to please everyone. I think if you did a side by side comparison of the models, you might be surprised. Have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCi48KHyiek">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCi48KHyiek">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCi48KHyiek

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.