These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV-69 and string breaks as the saddle??
by stugatzo on 2012-06-17 09:38:57

I've had my new JTV-69 for about two weeks and have ben playing it moderately at home but nothing aggressive.

(By the way i love the look, feel and sound of it?!!)

Last night I played my first live show with it and two songs from the end of our third set, the A sting broke at the bridge/saddle.

I've played four FULL shows with the same set of Elixir 10-46s on my old Variax 500 and luckily had it as a backup ready to go last night.

I've used elixirs for five years and rarely if EVER have I broken a string live so I'm wondering if this is a feature of the saddles or if it was just a fluke?

What's the general experience with breakage and a possible design flaw?

Thanks!

Re: JTV-69 and string breaks as the saddle??
by phil_m on 2012-06-17 10:00:21

I've not noticed complaints about string breakage. It could be you have a sharp spot on one of the saddles, or it could be a bad string. Actually, back a few years ago, it seemed that I had a lot of Elixir acoustis strings break at the ball end. Really, you need to replace the string and see if it happens again before you can really draw any conclusions.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.