These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV-89 - How to adjust the action?
by metalkrapo on 2012-06-19 23:51:41

Hi,

I noticed that on my JTV-89 when I play the G string on the 12th fret, the sound weakens very quickly. I have no knowledge about guitar hardware but I think this is because the string is too low and touches another fret, which keeps it from vibrating.

How can I fix this?

Thanks!

Re: JTV-89 - How to adjust the action?
by Line6Hugo on 2012-06-20 08:37:43

If you think the string may be touching another fret causing it to lose sustain, you may want to raise the action of the bridge a bit.  Please note that adjusting the action of the bridge may require you to adjust the intonation of the guitar as well.  If you are uncertain about performing this work,  I suggest that you take it to your local guitar luthier.

For future technical support problems or inquiries, please use the following link to contact support directly with your inquiry:

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by metalkrapo on 2012-06-21 00:24:10

Thanks for your answer.

I think you are right, I might harm my guitar if I try to do this by myself, I'll take it to a professional.

Thank you!

by player99 on 2012-06-21 21:17:58

There must be a ton of diy setup vids on YouTube. You can raise your action and do intonation without any real risk. But you should learn about it not just jump in and muck about.

by metalkrapo on 2012-06-22 07:11:53

I think I'll let a pro do it and I'll watch closely and ask him to explain so I can do it myself the next time.

by player99 on 2012-06-22 09:16:21

Most luthiers don't fix your guitar in front of you, or give lessons while you watch. You could get lucky though.

by metalkrapo on 2012-06-24 04:25:10

I have found a non-profit organization near me, it seems they like to pass their knowledge on. I'm still trying to contact them though.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.