These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

Knob pointers installation on JTV-59 ???
by OZLO on 2012-06-23 14:51:09

Hi everybody!

I allways thought it is not very practical that the JTV-59's Volume an Tone knobs have numbers on them but no reference where to read. Now I saw those knob pointers on a Gibson Les Paul Studio

http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Gitarren/Diverse-Ersatzteile/Gibson-Knob-Pointers-Gold-PRKP-060/art-GIT0020566-000

and">http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Gitarren/Diverse-Ersatzteile/Gibson-Knob-Pointers-Gold-PRKP-060/art-GIT0020566-000">http://www.musicstore.de/de_DE/EUR/Gitarren/Diverse-Ersatzteile/Gibson-Knob-Pointers-Gold-PRKP-060/art-GIT0020566-000

andif they are camptible with the Variax's potis.

Does anyone know if and how I can put these things to my Variax?

I play on Mid position most of the time instead of full and finding it thateasy would be a great improvement to me.

Thanks a lot for your help

Re: Knob pointers installation on JTV-59 ???
by silverhead on 2012-06-24 08:27:33

I think the construction of hte JTV59 might make that difficult. The Vol and Tone knobs are actually recessed below the surface of the guitar as the curved top of the guitar goes from the edge towards the centre. This will pose a problem when you try to install the knob pointers beneath the knobs. I think you will need to either raise the knobs to provide sufficient room for the pointers to rotate properly beneath them, or do some surface reconstruction on the guitar top. Personally, I wouldn't do either of these things.

The idea is a good one - in fact I did exactly that with a Les Paul that I own. I just don't think the installation is practical or worth the trouble on the JTV59. What I do is simply use the visible numbers to guide me. For instance, with the VOL knob at max (10) I know that from my normal playing position I can just see the number 8 on the dial - the number 7 has disappeared from view. That tells me that at any point on the dial the actual setting will be 2 numbers higher than the lowest number I can see. In other words, if I want a setting of 7 I wouild rotate the dial so that I can just see the 5. Works for me, and keeps the guitar intact.

by davidb7170 on 2012-06-24 12:08:39

The only guitar I have that has a knob position indicator on it is my 1973 Fender Tele Deluxe (not a re-issue). My 1978 Strat does not, nor my 2008 Epiphone Les Paul Classic. I was looking at a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro at Guitar Center fairly seriously, until I found out the JTV's were on the horizon in 2010, and it had the metallic pointer on it -- was the first time I saw it. It had coil splitting by pulling the Vol knob up. I actually didn't like the pointer, as I thought I would catch my finger on it... My Tele Deluxe has the indicator as a small metal dot on the surface of the pick guard.

Dave

by OZLO on 2012-06-25 01:11:04

Thanks for the information.

I guess I'll take a look at it myself and see if got some idea.....how do I get the knob off the poti so that I can see something? Do I just have to pull?

by Line6Hugo on 2012-07-25 17:42:05

Sorry, unfortunately we do not have any info on whether that will work with the JTV-guitars or not, but in order to remove the knob, just pull it off of the pot.

For all future technical support requests, please use the contact technical support link within the Support link at the top of the page:

http://line6.com/support/tickets/

Regards,

Line6Hugo

by OZLO on 2012-07-26 02:39:39

I got it working now.

I had to bend the pointers at a postion a bit closer to the axis than they normally are to make them fit into the hole an stand up high enough. It is very tight to make them fit fit beside the knob without touching and took a bit of practice but in the end it looks nice and works perfectly.DSC_1389.jpg

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.