These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Line HD Pro or HD500 with DT50 combo
by axeofcreation on 2012-06-24 10:32:52

Let me start off by saying I already own the HD Pro and love it. I bought it for home recording. I go USB direct with XLR to my studio monitors. Fantastic. Now I'm 99% sure that if I got the HD500, none of that would change. I still go direct with my monitors hooked to the 500 so I'm not concerned with losing any ability there. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My question lies in what you'd recommend for live purposes. I'm planning on purchasing the DT50 Combo for my live gigs and I'm considering downgrading the HD Pro to the HD500 (instead of purchasing the foot controller and rack for my HD Pro). This seems a lot easier for transportation and functionality purposes, especially since my home recording process won't be infringed upon with the possible downgrade.

I really want to take advantage of linking the HD with the DT series while not disturbing my home recording process. It's perfect for me right now. Plus the HD Edit software is great!

Thanks any input or thoughts on my situation.

Regards

Re: Line HD Pro or HD500 with DT50 combo
by spaceatl on 2012-06-24 11:41:58

I am an FBV fan...It does end up costing a bit more but I much prefer the logistics of a single CAT5 cable to the front of the stage...Having a Pro with a DT50 keeps the link cable short and if you want to experiment with running 4CM with a midi cable, those cables would be short and in the backline...

by axeofcreation on 2012-06-24 12:59:53

Thank you. That makes a lot of sense. Time to tweak!

by axeofcreation on 2012-06-24 13:28:41

I haven't used any of the FBV pedals yet, I'm looking forward to it now!

I have a power conditioner that I would use in the rack, would you recommend running the DT50 through that as well?

Thanks again for your time!

by spikey on 2012-06-24 13:48:18

Im using an HD Pro with a FBV Longboard i onced used with the Vetta.

It works well and most buttons and both pedals work (altho the stompbox buttons wont work correctly).

I XLR this Pod Pro HD into my DT50 head via Line 6 link.

I use 2 seperate guitar patches, one from the HD Pro (with cab and mic emulation on) into the DAW interface, and the other patch set is for the DT-50 (minus the cab and mic emulation).

I just name the patch with "DT50" on the end so that i know which one is for what....

Works for me... YMMV.. ; )

by spaceatl on 2012-06-24 14:56:11

Power Condiftioner only protects you halfway...Line Conditioning is certainly important, but I also prefer stable current...A must for anything digital if you are playing out in different venues...especially generator gigs...Low Voltage is what kills gear...Power Conditioning and Spike Protection don't protect from brown lines...

I use an AVR with Line Conditioning...around $100 US...

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=208

Furmandoes make a rackmount AVR...Price is pretty steep, but they are pretty awesome...

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=P-1800AR

by silverhead on 2012-06-24 15:30:35

axeofcreation wrote:

Let me start off by saying I already own the HD Pro and love it. I bought it for home recording....

Something no one has mentioned yet that may be relevant for studio/recording work.....

The HD Pro provides a dry output from the guitar input that you can feed to a seperate audio interface for recording the dry signal direct to your DAW while you monitor the wet signal during recording. Neither the HD Pro nor the HD500 provide a direct dry signal over USB to your DAW. Don't know if that is relevant for your purposes or not, but thought I should point it out.

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-06-25 04:53:14

I have both and the Pro sits in a rack for studio stuff while the HD500 is ready to go with the DT amps.  What Space said makes a lot of sense.  If I had to chose one and forego the other then I'd keep the HD Pro on the backline.  Just like Spikey, I have the FBV Longboard from my Vetta connected to the HD Pro and it does just about anything you could want.  If I were to use the HD Pro Live, I'd have the FBV out front with me and the HD Pro tucked safely in the backline.  I'm a fan of bypassing the mic'ing of amps when practicable, so going direct to the FOH and just having a monitor is a back saver when you're not lugging a DT50 (they're not light). 

Anyway, my suggestion would be to go with what Space said.  Have a think about foot controllers though, because you may not need to go with the FBV MkII, but if you do, you could configure it as a MIDI food controller for your DAW, which you might find useful.

Cheers,

Crusty

by axeofcreation on 2012-06-27 09:50:12

Thanks for all your input and opinions everyone. I've purchased the DT50 112 and decided to just use the HD Pro and the FBV shortboard. Just makes more sense. Can't wait for it all to arrive and shake the house down!

Thanks!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.