These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Recording vocals on an iMac using Line6 UX2 and Garageband.
by WickedFingers on 2012-07-02 21:37:28

I am trying to record vocals on garageband using the line6 UX2. My problem is there is no sound. I have updated my preferences and changed a bunch of things. I selected the Stereo 3/4 for vocals because I use Stereo 1/2 for guitar. I have turned on phantom power (I think) but there is still no sound. Is there something I am doing wrong that isn't allowing my computer to record vocals?

Re: Recording vocals on an iMac using Line6 UX2 and Garageband.
by hulbert on 2012-07-03 16:05:04

Hi,

You have probably done this but just in case, have you selected mic in pod farm input? Also, is your mic a mic needing phantom power? If it doesn't, it still should have worked I think with phantom power on, but just in case. All that you have to do to turn phantom power on is to press in the button on the front and a red light should come on next to it.

Could you let me know if you are:

1. wanting to record 'straight' un-effected mic input to garageband without listening to it via pod farm standalone

2. wanting to record 'straight' un-effected mic input to garageband while listening to it via pod farm standalone

3. wanting to record 'effected' (with pod farm's preamps etc. and effects) mic input, without listening via pod farm

4.wanting to record 'effected' mic input while listening via pod farm

5. wanting to record guitar and vocals at the same time

You have already used the ux2 to record guitar haven't you? Could you hear the guitar sound and also record it? Can you still hear/record guitar since trying mic?

I'll try and help. It probably is just a setup thing in either garageband or pod farm.

Look forward to hearing back from you,

God Bless,

David

by WickedFingers on 2012-07-03 22:08:12

I've never used pod farm. I was able to record guitar no problem while listening as I record. But when I try to record vocals. No sound. I have turned on phantom power because the mic I use is a AKG Perception 120 condenser studio microphone. I was told by the store I got the UX2 from that in order to record with a consender microphone I need phantom power because I used to have a UX1. I have probably tried everything and nothing has changed.

by hulbert on 2012-07-04 02:07:37

Hi ,

Thats fine about not using pod farm if it works ok without it. I use pod farm standalone while recording because if I just use my recording programme to listen to the guitar, there will be a slight delay in hearing it after I hit a string. With standalone, the delay basically disappears, as it is made to work a different way and works very quickly.

Just wondering if you have changed the setting in pod farm or the Line 6 Audio - Midi devices box, to mic instead of instrument. This needs to be done so that the ux2 can route the audio through from the mic input, through to garageband.

I don't know about mac, but you should have a folder somewhere in Line 6 folder, called 'tools' and open Line 6 Audio-midi devices. Then click on 'inputs and recording', and select mic 1 or mic 2 or whichever mic input setting you want. Then apply/ok it and close this and then open up your recording programme again etc. and see if it now works.

If you put pod farm on, you can open up pod farm standalone and select this from inside it too, but if you don't want to use pod farm as your 'live' sound, then you can just use the Line 6 Audio-Midi devices box.

I hope this helps,

God Bless,

David

by dback on 2012-07-04 15:21:02

Go to your system preferences and click on Line 6 Audio-Midi Devices.

By default, it's setup for instruments (Thus, your guitar working okay).  If you choose not to use Pod Farm (Which I'm not sure why you would not use it, makes life a lot easier), you will need to your send 1-2 or 3-4 to Mic 1, 2 or Stereo.

To tell you the truth, I always use Pod farm 2.52 to change my inputs and never this way, but this should work if you choose to ignore Pod Farm.

Good luck.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.