These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Why do all the h5e files in the customtone zip archive have l6t extensions and I know how to fix the problem
by Duker63 on 2012-07-07 04:45:06

I can download all the patches at once from line 6 but they show up as l6t files not h5e files

What is the difference? How can I make them h5e files?

Re: What is the difference between a l6t file and a .h5e file
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-07-07 05:11:22

The l6t (Line 6 Tone) files are the format used by gearbox for the XT and X3 PODs.

The h5e  format is for the PODHD 500 Edit software.

There is no simple way to convert them. You have to open the files in Gearbox and manually copy the settings for amps & effects.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Duker63 on 2012-07-07 05:16:03

I downloaded all the patches in one zip file

From customtone

They are not .h5e files they are l6t files

If you change the extension from l6t to h5e they show up as hd500 patches and they work

So why is customtone saving all the patches as l6t files instead of h5e files?

by Duker63 on 2012-07-07 05:31:28

Ok here is the answer I did it myself

You download all the patches from customtone as a zip file (it is updated everyday)

Unzip the hd500 folder

Now all the files you unzipped are .l6t files

So you need to batch convert them to .h5e files

Here is what you do

1 Right-click on the background and select "New Folder" from the pop-up menu. Name the folder anything you like.

2 Drag and drop all of the files you wish to rename into this folder. The files to be changed must all have the same extension.
3 Click on the Start menu and open Notepad from the program list. Type the following in Notepad:
ren *.l6t *.h5e
(.l6t is the current file extension and .h5e is the new file extension).

4 Save the Notepad file as "rename.bat" (without quotation marks) to the same folder which contains the files you are changing. When saving this Notepad file, select "All Files" in the "Save as type" box.

5 Go to the folder where the files are and double click on the rename.bat file you created. Windows will do the rest.

All the patches work and show up with the icon of hd500

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-07-07 06:17:12

You might want to double check the files that are not HD specific. The earlier PODs had 78 amp models most of which are not available in the new HD gear.

There are many, many other differences too.  So your own answer may not be entirely correct if you're just renaming PODxt or POD X3 files.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Duker63 on 2012-07-07 10:25:30

you can download all the customtone presets users have uploaded in 1 zip file

here

http://line6.com/media/customtone.com/Line_6_Tone_Exchange.zip

It has all line 6 products in seperate folders

When opening up the HD500 folder

all the files are l6t

You can batch convert them to h5e

and they open in HD500 edit

I have had 1 that didnt work so far out of a couple of hundred doing this

by Apologist on 2012-07-07 10:39:04

I wonder if this same renaming technique would work for converting HD500 bundle files to PodHD bundles ..?

by silverhead on 2012-07-07 12:05:45

OK - so the issue is that the zip/unzip process actually changes the file extensions of to the original h5e files that exist on customtone to a filetype of l6t. Hence changing the filetypes back to the proper h5e extension recovers them. This does not mean that an original l6t file can simple be renamed and made to work with a Pod HD device.

by silverhead on 2012-07-07 12:07:32

Apologist wrote:

I wonder if this same renaming technique would work for converting HD500 bundle files to PodHD bundles ..?

No, because renaming the files will not affect the file contents. It works in the case that Duker63 decribes because the files in question were originally h5e files.

by Duker63 on 2012-07-07 14:22:07

So the Zip utility that Line 6 uses is turning the .h5e patches into .l6t files?

I dont  think so

here is the link for the entire archive of patches et al for line 6 products

http://line6.com/media/customtone.com/Line_6_Tone_Exchange.zip

Check it out yourself

And it updates at least daily

A patch I uploaded to customtone yesterday is in that file today

by Akeron on 2012-07-07 15:31:07

Take one of the POD Xt patches in that zip, rename it and try to use that with the POD HD Edit. Good luck...

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-07-07 15:31:20

So, your original question referred to the files themselves rather than just the file extension.

The correct answer relating to the file structures is that a true l6t file cannot be transformed into a true h5e file by merely changing the extension.  The files you are referring to are native h5e files that just had the file extension changed.

It would be best for other users who do a search for this topic to know that you were just correcting an incorrect file extension rather than successfully loading l6t files into the HD500 Edit software.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Duker63 on 2012-07-07 15:40:02

Took a pod xt file

Renamed extension

Didnt work

by Duker63 on 2012-07-07 15:43:43

here is a screenshot of what I am talking about in archive.jpgregards to the zip file provided by line 6

by Akeron on 2012-07-07 15:44:28

That's the normal behaviour The other files you renamed were POD HD files... renamed!

by Duker63 on 2012-07-07 15:45:21

But why did Line 6 do that?

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-07-07 16:43:16

Duker63 wrote:

Took a pod xt file

Renamed extension

Didnt work

That's exactly what we've been saying.  A native l6t file won't work with the POD HD500 Edit.

I have a PODxt Live, a POD X3 Live, a POD X3 Pro, a POD HD500 and a POD HD Pro and I have had to manually redo my PODxt Live and POD X3 patches for the HD PODs.

So the correct answer to your question is that a native l6t file won't work with the POD HD Edit software.  It might be a good idea to go back and edit your "correct" answer.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Duker63 on 2012-07-07 18:02:18

I think it is clearly explained in the OP that i got these files out of the HD500 folder on the archive I downloaded

I have also submitted feedback to line 6 on the problem

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-07-07 18:23:39

Duker63 wrote:

I can download all the patches at once from line 6 but they show up as l6t files not h5e files

What is the difference? How can I make them h5e files?

When I replied I interpreted your statement, "all the patches" as patches for all Line 6 hardware devices that use the l6t (Line 6 Tone) file format which includes the PODxt and POD X3 range and I believed that the title of the topic related to the difference between the file types rather than noting an incorrect file extension being applied to h5e file types.  But that was just my interpretation.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Duker63 on 2012-07-07 18:58:52

me thinks you are right

Re: Why do all the h5e files in the customtone zip archive have l6t extensions and I know how to fix the problem
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-07-07 19:14:05

Love the new topic heading.

Cheers,

Crusty

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.