These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Choosing Headphones and Amp to Use With POD HD500
by Werkshop on 2012-07-07 21:23:15

Hey dudes.

First let me describe my gear. I'm getting a JTV-69, a POD HD500, and a Roland GR-55. I'll most likely be using the AUX input on the Roland CUBE-80XL for the pedals (through an ABC selector/combiner switch), and the guitar out from the GR-55 directly into the guitar in on the CUBE.

Here's a demonstration:

<a target=new href=http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/Werkshop712/Set-up-1.png"class="jive-image" src="http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o558/Werkshop712/Set-up-1.png"/>

What do you think? Eventually I'll have enough dough to get a couple QSC K12's, but in the meantime, something cost-effective will have to do.

However, I was also wondering about some headphone suggestions. I understand you want to use something fairly flat? Any opinons on the Audio Technica ATH-M50's? I've also heard good things about the Sony MDR-7506's and Sennheiser HD280 Pro's.

What do you think would work best with my rig?

Thanks!

Re: Choosing Headphones and Amp to Use With POD HD500
by Duker63 on 2012-07-07 21:43:16

I have the Roland cube 40xl

It sounds good whether you go in thru the aux or into the input

I cant give good advice on headphones I currently use sony wireless headphones

They sound Ok

Have fits of static sometimes

But if their are any good wireless ones

Those would be my first choice

by Werkshop on 2012-07-07 21:46:15

Thanks for the reinforcement of the CUBE. I've heard from many sources it's a great little powerhouse for modeling and synth pedals.

by Duker63 on 2012-07-07 22:01:50

I leave it on the JC clean channel with everything eq wise at 12 oclock

I might actually get a second one if i can find it used so I can have stereo

A lot cheaper than FRFR speaker setups

by Werkshop on 2012-07-08 02:06:24

A hell of a lot cheaper! But I'm still anticipating the day I can afford a full FRFR setup. Surrounded by QSC K12's and subwoofers... Heaven.

Anyways, I gotta stop dreaming. Since I'll be using a synth as well as the HD500, I'll just plug into the AUX input on the CUBE instead of using the guitar input. It's much flatter (obviously, since the AUX input bypasses the pre-amp), and it will also free-up another channel of modeling from the CUBE. If you notice the diagram I posted above, I'll be able to switch from the HD500, to the GR-55, and the CUBE preamp, as well as combine them. I can't wait to see what I can all do!

...I will likely suffer an aneurysm from the excitement.

Now if I could just get some headphone suggestions, I would be all set...

by jimsreynolds on 2012-07-08 02:11:28

May be a dumb question ... are you mounting a Roland pickup on your Variax to support the GR-55?

You might be able to get away without the Morley selected by putting the GR55 into the HD FX Loop.  Depends on how you want to use it.  Dual channel patch with an FX loop on one side and the amp chain on the other perhaps?  Toggle the loop off and the the amp on with a footswitch ....

by Duker63 on 2012-07-08 02:14:32

How do you know you are bypassing the pre-amp by plugging into the aux in

I didnt see nothing about that in the manual

Only that it accepts a stereo input but outputs in mono

You are right it does bypass the pre amp

page 18 of the manual shows a block diagram that shows just that

by Werkshop on 2012-07-10 02:00:22

Yeah man, I'll be using the Roland GK-3 pickup. I thought about using the FX loop, but I'm not entirely sure how it works...

I would assume that I couldn't use the GR-55 by itself if I went that route, correct?

I like the idea of the Morley 'cause I can switch/combine everything right there. Would I be more limited if I used the FX loop?

by jimsreynolds on 2012-07-10 03:46:13

I would assume that I couldn't use the GR-55 by itself if I went that route, correct?

I like the idea of the Morley 'cause I can switch/combine everything right there. Would I be more limited if I used the FX loop?

Actually there are so many options by using the Pod that  it makes my head spin

For hooking up the GR-55 into the Pod there are two ways you could do it and still choose whether you want to hear guitar, synth or both.

• You could hook the Variax up to the Pod 'Variax In'and the Synth Output to Pod 'Aux In'.  You can then choose which of these inputs you want to hear (or both) on a preset by preset basis.  The inputs can be assigned on a preset by preset basis.

• You could hook the Variax to the POD 'Variax In' and the Synth Output to the Pod FX Loop Return then use footswitches to toggle between the Amp Model and FX Loop within a preset.  Alternatively, you can toggle the FX loop on it own to bring the synth into the preset for some patches.   You can do this using Footswitch assigns.

The FX Loop on the HD500 is just another effects block.  You can add it to the presets where you want to use it and then use a footswitch to bring it in and out.  If you also assign the footswitch to turn the amp model off, within the same patch, you can toggle between Synth and Guitar using footswitches only.  If you really got cocky, you could even assign the POD expression pedal to mix/blend between the Two !!

The Morley switcher is simpler to get your head around, and allows some other permutations, but if you wanted to reduce floor clutter and setup times then the HD is a good option and there is definitely more you can do using the POD!  You will however take a hit with the time that it takes you to setup your patches and work it all out.  People on this forum can help with that.

by Werkshop on 2012-07-15 00:20:43

Well I'll be damned! I knew you could do a lot with the POD, but holy shit man... does it go to work and do the dishes too?

I'll definitely consider that option then. Plus, it'll save me $100 not buying the Morley.

You don't per chance have a headphone/amp preference do you? Now that I've got the gist of my rig figured out, I'd like to see some opinions rolling in.

Here's a list I've compiled thus far:

1. Sennheister HD280 PRO

2. Sony MDR-7506

3. Audio-Technica ATH-M50

4. AKG K 272 HD

5. AKG K702

I understand that what I'm looking for is a flat response and (obviously) quality sound. Out of these, which would you suggest? I'm trying to keep the price as low as I can without sacrificing too much quality, if you dig what I'm screamin'. I'm sure the AKG K702's are AMAZING, but I'm not so sure about forking over $280 for a pair of headphones (PLUS the cost of the headphone amp).

What do you guys think?

By the way, if you have alternate suggestions, don't be afraid to toss them out there.

by Werkshop on 2012-07-16 17:51:44

Bumperooni. Headphone suggestions guys? I'm making my purchase soon. Can someone please take the time to check out my list and/or add to it?

by jimsreynolds on 2012-07-17 02:21:07

Headphones has been done many times on the forum which is why there may be a deafening silence here right now.

Its also not as simple as you might think.  Most modern headphones are 'low impedance  particularly ones designed for the consumer market.  However in the studio arena there has been a tendency towards 'high impedance' headphones which are traditionally seen as more durable.   The Pod Series prefers High Impedance headphones (Line 6 say rated between 150-600 ohm)  but this severely limits the choice of headphones you should use.  Also High Impedance models tend to be more expensive.

Some people report good results with better quality low impedance headphones (e.g. Sennheiser HD 280) and others do well using a Headphone amp (or IEM amp) before their headphones.  Alternatively you go as Line 6 intended and buy a set of High Impedance headphones such as a Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro.

Otherwise, search this board for more anecdotes ...  http://line6.com/support/search.jspa?resultTypes=all&dateRange=all&peopleEnabled=false&q=headphones&containerType=14&container=2221&containerName=POD+HD&username=&rankBy=relevance&numResults=15

">http://line6.com/support/search.jspa?resultTypes=all&dateRange=all&peopleEnabled=false&q=headphones&containerType=14&container=2221&containerName=POD+HD&username=&rankBy=relevance&numResults=15">http://line6.com/support/search.jspa?resultTypes=all&dateRange=all&peopleEnabled=false&q=headphones&containerType=14&container=2221&containerName=POD+HD&username=&rankBy=relevance&numResults=15

by stratchamp on 2012-07-17 17:30:56

I run an hd500 into the aux in on a cube 15x and it sounds amazing.  As for headphones, I use Shure srh-440's and get good results.

by Werkshop on 2012-07-17 19:16:26

Thanks Jim. You seem to be the only helpful one around here.

I'm definitely looking into the DT 770's, AKG 702's, and Sennheister 25-1 II's now. Hopefully I'll be able to try before I buy...

Thanks again for the help man. Peace!

by Duker63 on 2012-07-18 04:03:40

I run the HD500 right into the guitar input on the cube

Maybe I am going deaf (im almost 50) But i do not hear much of a difference with the clean channel and the aux in

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.