These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV89: On/off push pot died? :(
by muzx66 on 2012-07-09 19:29:13

I bought a Variax JTV89 (korean) 2 weeks ago on ebay.
It worked fine until now, however in the recent 3-4 days when I used I realized that the model on-off push pot works more and more hard, needs more force to push in until it turns on.

Now it's completely dead, I can not turn on any more the modelling

The battery is full, the jack is connected, otherwise it works well as a normal guitar - except the Variax functions.

Any ideas?

Can I clean it or buy a replacement part?

Of course, it has no warranty any more since I bought it from the original owner and the warranty booklet says it's not transferable.

Is it a common problem of this kind of guitars or I'm the unlucky?

Re: JTV89: On/off push pot died? :(
by silverhead on 2012-07-09 19:58:59

There are some other cases of this problem. Usually it is because the knob is hitting some obstruction before it can push the stem down far enough  to engage the switch beneath. Try gently pulling the knob up to reseat it higher on the stem. If the knob gets pushed back to its problematic position again you may have to gently pull it off and use some packing material (e.g. a small bit of paper in the stem-hole of the knob) to keep it sitting a bit higher on the stem while you are pushing it down to engage the switch.

by muzx66 on 2012-07-09 20:25:25

Thank you.
I don't know, if it was the problem or the dirty contact.

Meanwhile I disassembled the electronics and pulled out the two selector block, and used a Deoxit to clean the push switch contacts.

Maybe it was the help, maybe the removing and putting back the pot knobs.

Anyway, it works fine and turns on/off steadily.

Thanks for the quick help!

by muzx66 on 2012-07-09 20:34:07

Otherwise it's a Belton BTDS20HPT series rotary digital code switch with push-on switch function In case anybody need a replacement.

by jaqk10 on 2012-07-10 02:43:53

Hello just came here to post a problem of a similiar sort.

I just bought a Jtv 69 new listed on ebay.  it was new .  Awesome guitar! i was playing around with the magnetic pick ups and was really happy i made the purchase.

I waited for the batteries that were supplyed to charge fully to test out the variax functions  .   And then i put the battery in .  it shows leds fully charged in the back of the guitar .  

I press the guitar model button to engage and then it does nothing .   i press for 2 seconds i press a quick 1 sec  ,  10 sec nothing .      it just wont turn on using batteries . 

So i was bummed out.  then since i had pod HD500 i hook it up using the digital cable,   it  works fine with this cable.  

Can this be a  contact problem of the switch .  if so do you think i should return it  and get a new one or get this one fixed by line 6   .  the seller of this guitar is offering a $100 discount if i

decide to keep this guitar.    this guitar is new and has blank warrnty papers. 

But any way i was dissappointed with the craftmanship of the new guitar .   this important feature should have been tested out at the factory.  THe reason i bought the guitar was to use variax modeling technology and it

does not work to turn on.  thanks for reading this post.

by muzx66 on 2012-07-12 19:24:39

You were definitely right.

It started again, same problem.

I pull the knob up, it works several time, and when the knob goes more and more down it reached the point when it was impossible to turn on again.

Well, it's quite disappointing, a 1000+ bucks guitar must not have such quality issue.

I'm gonna modifiy the pot shaft, probably glue a little shim on the top.

by silverhead on 2012-07-12 20:16:45

muzx66 wrote:

I'm gonna modifiy the pot shaft, probably glue a little shim on the top.

That should work. I agree that you shouldn't have to do this, but it's a simple solution.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.