These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: DT50/DT25

Use DT25 combo as speaker cab?
by Stratman82 on 2012-07-14 00:37:59

Dear all,

While loving my DT25 combo plus HD300 setup I have heard good things about the new Orange tiny terror (20watt) head which seems good value for money and would add some tone options.

Is there any way that I can easily disconnect the DT25 amp from its speaker and plug the tiny terror directly into the combos speaker or is this pie in the sky?

I'm thinking that I could potentially avoid the cost of a seperate cabinet and save floor space.

Thanks.

Re: Use DT25 combo as speaker cab?
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-07-14 01:56:05

Definitely yes.  I Have used my DT50 combo as a speaker cab for a few diiferent amps.  You'll want to get a speaker cable (not instrument cable) an a female/female connector so you can extend the length of the DT50 speaker cable because it doesn't extend much further than the jack on the back of the amp.

Cheers,

Crusty

by geppert on 2012-07-14 11:24:50

I also use my SV212 (2 x 12) as a speaker cab with my DT25 Head/Cab for stage spread. Works fine. I bought a premade TS 1/4 - 1/4 Speaker cable with a TS Female to Female adaptor for the SV end. This provides lot's of connection options in case (for instance) I want to go the other way (SV amp + DT25 Extension Cab) which would require just the speaker cable (no adaptor needed) to make happen.

by evilmikehoo on 2012-09-19 15:37:58

OK - this sounds interesting! I have a Spidervalve 212 mkI and am receiving a DT50 in a few days (won the Steve Howe amp!!!!). Can you explain this to me again, but a bit more simply? I'm new to all of this, but I like what I think you said in your reply. Will the speakers work in both combos?

by geppert on 2012-09-19 21:49:17

Hey ... congrats on winning the DT amp. Great score.

The two speakers in your SV212 are wired together and plugged into the 8 ohm speaker socket of your SV amp. To use the SV as a cab for your DT you need to unplug the speakers from the SV (one wire/plug) and plug it into the DT. The problem is that the SV speaker wire will be too short to reach, so you need to extend it. The easiest way to do this is to get a 1/4" female to female adaptor. Any well stocked music store should have these. You put the adaptor on the end of your SV212 speaker wire and it produces a female socket at the end. Then you get an appropriate length of speaker wire (not a guitar cable) that has a 1/4" plug on each end. Easiest way is just to buy a ready made "speaker" cable. Plug one end into the SV212 speaker wire / adaptor, then the other into your DT amp 4 ohm socket. Unplug your DT speakers from the 8 ohm speaker socket on the back of the amp and plug them into the 2nd 4 ohm socket next to your SV speaker wire (in other words, both sets of speakers are now plugged into the 4 ohm sockets on the DT). All the speakers will work. If you have a 15'+ speaker wire from the SV you can spread the two amps apart. It's not stereo but it will produce a nice wide covereage. When I play live I like to have my extension cab on the other side of the stage.

Make sure to remember this ..... when you use the DT amp by itself make sure the intermal speaker is plugged into the 8 ohm socket. When you use the SV212 as an extension cab makes sure BOTH sets of speakers (SV and DT) are plugged into the 4 ohm sockets on the DT amp.

Hope this is clear enough?

Enjoy that new amp.

by evilmikehoo on 2012-09-20 03:04:18

Thank you very much! I was hoping you'd answer. You are very clear in your explanations and this site is lucky to have you! Can't wait to try it out!

by evilmikehoo on 2012-09-20 09:07:49

Two more quick questions. First, The Spidervalve has 2 Vintage 30's while the DT50 has 1 Vintage 30 and 1 G12H90. Will this make any difference? I know my question may sound dumb, but one never knows! Second, if I use a 25' speaker cable (looking for a bit of flexibility in positioning), is 16 gauge appropriate and will I lose anything with this length?

by geppert on 2012-09-20 12:12:29

Thank you for your comments. Glad to help. There are many here with much more knowledge than me about guitar equipment. Most of us are here to help and many have been really good to me.

I think you will like the sound of 4 speakers even if one is different. I like to spread my sound across the stage especially to those players on the other side of the drummer. Some players prefer to have it all together in one spot (in which case use a shorter speaker cable for sure). It's just a matter of taste and preference. The other bonus about using the SV as a cab is that you now have a backup amp should anything go wrong with your DT on the gig. 16 guage for the 25 foot cable would be ok imho. A lower guage is always better. It won't damage anything to try it. You will love this DT. It is a stunning (and extremely powerful) amp. There is a little bit of a learning curve to understanding how it works from a design perspective but there is lots of info about it on this forum and lot's of people to help. If you don't already have a POD HD you should give one a try. The DT and the POD HD are made for each other and pair nicely through the Line 6 Link. That being said, the DT is a killer amp by itself. You're really getting 4 amps in one. Enjoy.

So just a reminder about a couple things. Never use a guitar cable as a speaker cable (I think you've got that down). When using the DT by itself make sure the internal speakers are plugged into the 8 ohm speaker socket and when using the SV as an extension cab make sure BOTH sets of speakers are in the 4 ohm speaker sockets. Good to go.

by evilmikehoo on 2012-09-25 05:49:50

Hey!! I received the amp yesterday! But now I see a new problem. The DT50 has the speakers plugged into the 16 ohm jack while the SV 212 is plugged into the 8 ohm jack. How do I do this or can I even do this simply? Sorry for being so dumb about these things!!!! Oh and if it can be done, can you tell me how to do it both ways?

Message was edited by: evilmikehoo

by evilmikehoo on 2012-10-04 08:09:27

Okay - looks like the forums are running right once again, so maybe someone can help me out. I have an SV212 which is wired for 8ohms. I have a DT50 212 which is wired at 16 oms. I would just love to be able to use both amps together (head & cab), utilizing all four speakers. I'd also like to be able to have the choice of which amp will perform as the head unit. I can see several advantages to this arrangement. I'd have essentially a "split" 412 cab for a wider coverage area. I'd also have a readily available back-up amp as well as the versatility of both amps. I really don't want to modify anything for two reasons. First, I'm dumb as a box of rocks about these things (but I AM learning a lot from this forum!). Second, the DT50 is the Steve Howe amp and I think it may be of more value if left original. Can ANYBODY help me out, or is this a highly improbable scenario?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.