These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Multi-Effects pedal for a Spider IV 30watt
by joshuahidalgo on 2012-07-19 22:38:07

I have a Spider IV 30 watt amp.. Are multi-effects pedals/floor boards okay in front of a Spider IV 30watt? Or are the FBV's pedals the only ones I can use. I want something hands free but on not sure if my amp will be okay with say a Floor Pod Plus or higher something similar.

Do I have to run it (the amp) on Clean? Should I think about upgrading to a bigger amp/cab/PA if I want a multi-effect/floorboard pedal?

Re: Multi-Effects pedal for a Spider IV 30watt
by fflbrgst on 2012-07-20 06:34:07

Yes, you can use any foot pedal/stomp box in between your guitar and the Spider amp.  Note, however, that some effects will not sound good in combination with the effects of the amp.  For example, putting a distortion stomp box on, then using a high gain/distortion model on teh amp will result in a lot of muddiness and probably give a less-than-ideal tone.  Similarly, using a wah pedal in front of a distorted sound will not give good results.  I have tried using a number of pedals in front of my Spider IV 75, but found using the amp's FX are the best for my situation.  If you are trying for a sound different than you get from the Spider, then you may do better by using stomp boxes.

If you are using a POD, you may do better by outputting that signal directly to the MP3 input on your Spider, which bypasses the DSP and control section - you would use the volume and tone controls on the POD to adjust your sound.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.