These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

KB37 spdif volume control?
by forsaken84 on 2012-07-21 03:46:21

Hi I recently purchased some M-audio DSM3 studio monitors and wanted to use the spdif output on the back of my KB37 as I've read this gives the best quality for these speakers. But my problem is the lack of volume control between the output of the KB37 and the input of the speakers. I've been searching on Google but I can't find any simple cost effective solution to this problem. I just need a spdif in and spdif out with a volume control knob in between, but I can't find anything like I want anywhere. Does anybody have any ideas?

Cheers

Luke

Re: KB37 spdif volume control?
by Triryche on 2012-07-21 17:33:46

The Output Volume on the KB37 has no effect?

by forsaken84 on 2012-08-01 02:57:21

None at all, I wouldn't be asking if it did. :/

by Triryche on 2012-08-01 11:22:42

What about the faders in POD Farm's mixer?

by Triryche on 2012-08-01 11:36:27

Now that I think about it, the master volume should not control the SPDIF out. This comes in handy if you are sending the SPDIF to an interface for recording. The master volume will control the analog outs for monitoring but not affect the volume going to the digital interface. But the mixer in POD Farm should definitely control the volume.

by forsaken84 on 2012-08-01 12:45:45

But I'm using the ASIO drivers as my main soundcard so using the mixer is no good to me. I need a pysical volume control.

by Triryche on 2012-08-01 14:03:56

I do not know of a cheap solution.

Even though SPDIF is considered the best connection, the analog outs to decent monitors works nearly as well. In many scenarios you'd be hard pressed to discern the difference.

Are you capturing the wet dry or both.

Are you launch PF to control the sends to your DAW?

by forsaken84 on 2012-08-01 21:56:53

I'm fine with a non-cheap solution as long as it's not too insane. The Studio Pod is only a temporary soundcard solution until I can upgrade/replace my old mixing desk/rack mounted soundcard (which broke recently) set up with a decent digital mixing desk. My monitors have AES/EBU inputs so the Tascam DM-3200 looks like a viable option, but was just looking for something that would suffice in the mean time.

I can definitely hear the difference, the analogue channel has a noise floor which I can hear, it's small but it's there. I capture both depending on my needs.

Usually with Bass I will record a DI and a wet channel at the same time. I currently use my Pod Studio to control sends, (The physical device, not the program)

Depends on my needs if I use the PF program or not. Sometimes I use the direct monitor function inside my DAW to hear the input.

If you know of a solution that's only a few hundred pounds then I can live with that in the mean time.

If not an on screen volume control isn't an option for me. I'd prefer to deal with analogue if that's the case.

by Triryche on 2012-08-02 06:35:34

Short of a digital mixer, I do not know of any other options.

If it were me I would live with the slightly increased noise floor until I replaced the mixing desk.

I swear my computer's mobo and/or processor has a higher noise floor than the analog outs on my UX2.

I have a set of JBL LSR4328 and run both analog and SPDIF. The slightly increased noise floor doesn't bother me because I can't hear it when recording or mixing, only during silence. (It used to annoy me as I think I am slightly OCD, but I got over it).

But for all I know my eardrums my be approaching the elasticity of cardboard!!

by forsaken84 on 2012-08-03 17:22:06

Yeah I think I'll stick with it for now, thank you for your help

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.