These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Are Line 6 ever going to fix the bugs in the PODHD500??
by nolongerusel6 on 2012-07-21 12:40:37

As a Line 6 user since the early days, I've always been amazed with the products, the sounds, the functions and really disapointed with the built quality.

EVERY product i've ever purchased, used or heard about has had 'issues'. I've either given away or sold most of my older Line 6 equipment because of this

unreliability.

The reputation of Line 6, from what I have seen both online and from fellow musicians is pretty poor, most products losing considerable value after a short period of time. (I guess people don’t trust the built quality, especially on second hand items)

I am currently still using the PodHD500, Variax, DT amps at home and occasionally in the studio. The DT is pretty cool, sometimes the volume increases or the reverb gets stuck on full but apart from that, pretty cool.

The POD(Heavily Defective)500 is not so cool, each time I use it with the variax, I lose variax string sounds (Not broken piezos). Once I reinstall the Pod flash the problem is solved? This means I cannot use the POD/Variax in a live situation unless I restall flash each time the Pod is switched on and off!

The Variax is………..a Variax, amazing when it works properly, but annoyingly unreliable.

Iv’e tried to solve these problems over the years with Line 6 but to be honest, a waste of time, no real solution. Other music manufactures have a far better and easier to contact customer service and far better warranties.

My questions to Line 6 are:

Are you ever going to solve the software bugs in the PODHD500?  I wouldn’t mind using the POD(Heavily Defective)500 in a Live setting!!

Do Line 6 ever read these forums and see the amount of customer/product problems? (I cannot find any musical manufacter with has as many customer forum complaints!)

Do Line 6 actually care about it's reputation??

Are there any Line 6 customers that haven't had a problem with there products!!?

When are Line 6 going to produce a wireless for a Variax?

Finally, please don't get me wrong, I don't want to diss the company, I'll still probably but the next Line 6 product because they DO SOUND GREAT, but they could be so much better if they were built that little bit better.

Re: Are Line 6 ever going to fix the bugs in the PODHD500??
by gtrman100 on 2012-07-21 21:00:51

paulwline6 wrote:

As a Line 6 user since the early days, I've always been amazed with the products, the sounds, the functions and really disapointed with the built quality.

EVERY product i've ever purchased, used or heard about has had 'issues'. I've either given away or sold most of my older Line 6 equipment because of this

unreliability.

The reputation of Line 6, from what I have seen both online and from fellow musicians is pretty poor, most products losing considerable value after a short period of time. (I guess people don’t trust the built quality, especially on second hand items)

I am currently still using the PodHD500, Variax, DT amps at home and occasionally in the studio. The DT is pretty cool, sometimes the volume increases or the reverb gets stuck on full but apart from that, pretty cool.

The POD(Heavily Defective)500 is not so cool, each time I use it with the variax, I lose variax string sounds (Not broken piezos). Once I reinstall the Pod flash the problem is solved? This means I cannot use the POD/Variax in a live situation unless I restall flash each time the Pod is switched on and off!

The Variax is………..a Variax, amazing when it works properly, but annoyingly unreliable.

Iv’e tried to solve these problems over the years with Line 6 but to be honest, a waste of time, no real solution. Other music manufactures have a far better and easier to contact customer service and far better warranties.

My questions to Line 6 are:

Are you ever going to solve the software bugs in the PODHD500?  I wouldn’t mind using the POD(Heavily Defective)500 in a Live setting!!

Do Line 6 ever read these forums and see the amount of customer/product problems? (I cannot find any musical manufacter with has as many customer forum complaints!)

Are there any Line 6 customers that haven't had a problem with there products!!?

Finally, please don't get me wrong, I don't want to diss the company, I'll still probably but the next Line 6 product because they DO SOUND GREAT, but they could be so much better if they were built that little bit better.

Ok, I'll bite:

1. No, they're never going to fix the software bugs(my HD500 is bug free, except for an occasionally switch not engaging).
  2. They never read these forums
  3. They don't care about their reputation
  4. There must be someone, somewhere who hasn't had a problem with their products(I wonder if Apple or Microsoft or Mercedes or Rolls Royce has?)
  5. They've never promised wireless for the Variax, but you can use a regular wireless and it works fine. Maybe in the future we'll see that, and it will be cool.

Sorry for the snarkyness, but ranting won't get you any help. Personally, the only products that I had any problems with was my Variax 700(bad piezo), and Pod X3(a bad product release, shouldn't have been put out with so many birthing problems). Other than that my AX2, Pod XT, Pocket Pod, Spider IV, HD500, DT50, DT25 have all been fine.

This is a support forum, where people come to solve problems, so that's what you're hearing. If I were you, I'd contact Line 6 customer service and voice your complaints. When I've had a problem, they've been good about setting it right, I hope they do the same for you.

by Akeron on 2012-07-22 02:01:16

paulwline6 wrote:

I own a POD Xt and a POD HD500 and I've never had any hardware problems. The only software problem I had was with Reaper + Edit one time.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-07-22 02:03:17

I got 99 problems ......  but my Pod is quite reliable actually. 

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-07-22 04:30:50

paulwline6 wrote:

(I cannot find any musical manufacter with has as many customer forum complaints!)

Addressing the above:

Other manufacturers moderate complaints off their forum sites.   Line 6 allow all to be posted here, sometimes posts come from trolls promoting competing products often by criticising Line 6 gear.

Line6 have sold millions of products worldwide (more than a million Spider amps alone:http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/3/prweb8212842.htm).">http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/3/prweb8212842.htm">http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/3/prweb8212842.htm).  I'd suspect if things are as bad as you imagine, there'd be more complaints on this forum than there really (reality) is.  So, I'd suspect there'd be more than a million Line 6 customers who haven't had problems.

Wireless for Variax requires transmission of 2 channels of digital audio plus transmission and reception of MIDI data. This means that 2 transceivers are required not just a transmitter and a receiver.  The transceivers would need to multiplex the 2 channels of audio plus MIDI.  Logistically it may cost more to produce than the market would be willing to pay. I would have thought all of this would be quite obvious.  Aternatively, you could just use wireless on the 1/4" out, which Line 6 do make.

Cheers,

Crusty

by silverhead on 2012-07-22 06:07:19

paulwline6 wrote:

Sorry to hear about your negative experiences.

Since you ask, here's the list of Line 6 products that I own, and my history of problems with them:

I have never experienced any problem with the following:

Pocket POD

BackTrack w/Mic

JTV-59

Mobile Keys 49

Pod HD

Pod HD400

Pod HD500

Pod HD Pro

Variax 300: It works perfectly for me so I've included it in my 'no problem' list but  it does have a known problem that doesn't affect me. I purchased it off eBay at a discounted price due to a power problem with the battery/PSU circuitry; I use VDI to provide power. As a result, I got a great bargain on this.

I have experienced a problem with:

POD X3 Live: USB Audio Dropout problem repaired for free at a Line 6 service centre under lifetime warranty

btw.... nice first post!   Like Crusty said, we sometimes see new usernames appear here to make an inflammatory post (which Line 6 permits) intended to create an impression of product dissatisfaction, and then disappear. It would be nice to hear from you again to comment on the responses you've received. That would let us know that you're not simply one of those provocateurs.

by Octo777 on 2012-07-22 06:19:55

paulwline6 wrote:

In regards to bugs, you will need to be way more specific because Line 6 seem to be continually working on bugs that appear and a number of bugs are usually addressed with FIrmware updates.

You do realise that this is a Support forum, right? The key word being "Support" so it should be of no surprise that 99% if the posts are people looking for help with problems they have.

Subsequently, all posts on here that are marked as questions are flagged to Line 6 support so they see them and can provide a response.

Does Line 6 care about it's reputation? Really? What kind of question is that?

I can safely say that I have NEVER had an issue with any of the Line 6 products I have owned (Pod 2.0, Pod HD500 and Variax Acoustic 700). I use my HD and Variax almost every day for both teaching , gigs and pleasure and both have outperformed my expectations.

Wireless for Variax? Well for one, there is nothing stopping you using a regular Wirless system but I am guessing you are looking for Line 6 to develop Wireless tech to provide the same integration as using a VDI cable, right?

Well as I am sure you are aware, the VDI cable provides Audio, Power and Data signals from the Variax to the connected device.

Currently, the tech to send audio signals exists (standard wireless) and I am sure there are methods that would allow data signals to be sent wirelessly too, however I would imagine this would require proprietary software and for L6 to develop hardware (transmitters/recievers) that would be able to integrate with the Variax and any given device with a Variax port.

However, power as of yet, is not wireless as such and the only developments I have seen of any kind of wireless power is charging bases for Mobile phones etc and so the tech to provide wireless power to a Variax guitar is no doubt quite a way off yet.

As a variax user, one of the largest benefits I have from using a VDI cable, is the power it provides to my guitar which means I don't have to waste money on batterys and so even if a wireless system was available for the audio AND the data, I still wouldn't bother with it.

Furthermore, as Crusty suggested, it would probably cost a lot more to develop and produce than would be viable for them to make any kind of return on.

I'm sorry, but I'm finding your overall complaints very vague and I'm not really sure what exactly it is that you have a problem with........

by Akeron on 2012-07-22 06:24:56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kpz_PNQRH4&hd=1

99">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kpz_PNQRH4&hd=1">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kpz_PNQRH4&hd=1

99Pod problems make you happy

by TheRealZap on 2012-07-22 09:12:06

as a note to this conversation...

support has moved to direct communication...

most of the older posts here are from when it was a support forum...

now it has the appearance of customer complaint forum...

but in reality it's kind of a buried forum that seems to get found by google searches... old stuff resurrected...

handful of regulars... chat about pretty much everything...

many of our complaints end up turning into product enhancements and improvements...

so go ahead and complain... you'll only make their products better in the end....

which would be a really bad idea if you were from some other company trying to stir the pot...

by spaceatl on 2012-07-22 09:17:56

+1...I think this is a driveby...Fractal comes to mind, but we would have to ask "The Shill" about that...

by TheRealZap on 2012-07-22 10:53:58

i thought he was working the L6 booth at bob's flea market today? best leave a message.

by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-07-23 03:16:49

spaceatl wrote:

+1...I think this is a driveby...Fractal comes to mind, but we would have to ask "The Shill" about that...

That was my initial thought, one and only post and putting Line6 in the username are a bit of a giveaway.  Looking at his/her profile shows last activity just 16 hours ago.

Whatever happened to GuitarTiz?

Cheers,

Crusty

by nolongerusel6 on 2012-07-25 11:28:18

Thank you all for your replies.

The wireless Variax was a joke btw!

Anyway, I kind of guessed that moaning on a ‘support forum’ would bring regular users to the defence of Line 6…..fair enough.

I too have had many Line 6 products, since around early 1996. Each one has been in concept fantastic, but always had a small/large flaw, of some kind.

Maybe I’ve just been unlucky…

To be more specific, the current problem with the PodHd500 is :

When the variax, Podhd500 is connected and switched on, certain strings mute/not sound.

Upon switching on/off the same problem occurs but with different random strings.

When a flash re-install is done, normal play is resumed until, logically the PodHD is switched off and the problem returns.

The need to re-install flash after each Gig/Jam/Switch off, is annoying.

I hope this ‘support’ forum can help? Any ideas?

I guess I could return the Podhd?, I had it the very day it was released in Europe, so I doubt it is still within warranty?

(Sorry I forgot to add that this is the 3rd Podhd that I’ve tried that has given me this problem)

I would just like to make it clear that I’m not some kind of idiot that wants to ‘diss’ Line 6, to plug another product, Line 6 make good products but I’ve never had so may product problems with ‘other’ manufactures TBH.

I apologise if my original post hit a nerve, there is no malice intended,  I just want a working PODHD so I can record at home without to much fuss.

Regards

by silverhead on 2012-07-25 11:43:17

Thanks for coming back and clarifying things for us.

Since the problem you describe involves using the HD500 with your Variax, and since this is the third HD500 that exhibits this problem, I would be inclined to believe that the issue may lie with the Variax instead of (or in addition to) the HD500. Please tell us more about your setup:

- What model is your Variax? Early model (300/500/600) or JTV? What firmware version is installed?

- if it is a JTV, do you experience this problem with the mag pickups or only with the models?

- does the HD500 give you problems when using any other guitar?

- what power supply are you using with the HD500?

- how is your Variax powered - VDI connection, PSU, or batteries? Do the symptoms change if you use a different power source?

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.