These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: XD-V Digital Wireless Microphones

wireless mic forums

How do I get my mac to recognize my xd-v75?
by Brian818 on 2012-07-21 13:29:56

I've downloaded Monkey 1.58 and followed all the instructions to connect my xd-v75 receiver to my MacBook Pro OSx 10.7.4.  I've tried with two different macbook pros and have tried monkey 1.55, 1.56, 1.57 and 1.58.  No matter what I do, I cannot get the device to connect.  The instructions say to Choose "Line 6 Wireless Device USB" and click OK.  However, Line 6 wireless device is not in the dropdown list.

My mac's are completely updated, I've tried different USB ports, turned on and off the receiver, rebooted my machines and tried unplugging and reconnecting both ends of the USB cable.  No luck.

Has anyone found a way to get this to work?

Re: How do I get my mac to recognize my xd-v75?
by RonMarton on 2012-07-21 17:15:49

I sure have, Brian...

Even with both my Mac Firewall and "Little Snitch" active, although "Little Snitch" did its job by demanding that I "allow" Monkey and Line 6's servers access to my system. (I run a MacBook Pro with fully updated 10.7.4 "Lion".)

As you say, it turns out that simply opening the Monkey app and following its prompts doesn't grant the system an opportunity to "recognise" XD-V gear.

I'm guessing that this (and the lack of appropriate instructions being embedded) is a by-product of Monkey's evolution from being a far simpler "updater" of earlier gear in Line 6's history.

(I blame Charles Darwin.)

Line 6's move from the mesozoic is detailed in these two excellent documents:

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2585

_jive_internal="true" href="/docs/DOC-2583">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2583

Youshould (like me) have no trouble updating a whole range of XD-V gear once you follow the step-by-step "USB first, then power-up" and (where appropriate) device positioning protocols set out in them.

I found it helpful to save them as web archives in my "Documents" folder for easily repeated reference during my first few upgrades.

After that, updating became an easily repeated, if a tad boring, routine.

(I'm told that Darwin never was a barrel of laughs.)

by Brian818 on 2012-07-21 17:28:33

Thanks for the reply, Ron.

I followed the steps exactly, multiple times (rebooting in between) and still get "No devices detected."  Any chance I need a usb driver before it will recognize?  No problems with other devices.

Thanks

by RonMarton on 2012-07-21 18:13:59

I wouldn't have thought so, Brian...

Give me a while, ...I'll just hook my V75 up and take a look.

by RonMarton on 2012-07-21 18:22:34

With the USB cabled to your MacBook Pro, do you almost immediately get "Loader Enabled" displayed in your V75 receiver's LCD on connecting the receiver's power with its front-panel switch off?

by RonMarton on 2012-07-21 19:05:36

Having just now upgraded to and tried the latest 1.58 version, "Monkey Magic" has no trouble in accurately detecting and enabling the one XD-V75 "upgrade mule" that I used (and will continue to use) for ensuring the latest firmware's in my collection of XD-V70 gear. (Click on my pink pic for details...)

If you are indeed seeing a lit "Loader Enabled" at your V75, yet still have no joy, I'm wondering about your log-in to Line 6's servers?

If not, I reckon that the receiver in question will need attention to its firmware. That'll probably require access to a second V75 for re-flashing.

by dboomer on 2012-07-21 20:11:10

Have you connected the USB cable to the V75 before connecting the power supply?

by Brian818 on 2012-07-22 07:57:38

Followed all instructions - connected usb, plugged in power supply, received Loader Enabled screen on device very quickly with front switch off.

One thing that's different from the instructions is when I start Monkey, it asks me to connect a device before allowing logon.  I have to choose something I don't have (tried Variax USB, since that's the only usb device listed).  Then monkey opens all the way and I can login.  Then, I click connect device on the left and it continues to say No device connected.

I'll try connecting to a pc at work tomorrow.  If that fails, then it may be a firmware issue as you suggested and I may need to try connecting to another v75 receiver.

Thanks!

by Brian818 on 2012-07-22 07:57:45

yes

by dboomer on 2012-07-22 13:51:36

Thanks

In that case I'm suspecting the USB jack or the cable.  Can you try it in a windows computer to check it?

by RonMarton on 2012-07-22 15:06:50

F.Y.I., Folks...

I tend to be logged in to Line 6 prior to any cabling or launchng of Monkey.

Having first connected a USB cable between my XD-V75 receiver and MacBook Pro, subsequent powering of the receiver lights its LCD, with "Loader Enabled" appearing almost straight away.

On launch and login, Monkey actually starts by indicating that it's detected my XD-V75 receiver with a dialog box then presenting the full range of options for selecting any actual Line 6 device that I may wish to update.

Brian's receiver displaying "Loader Enabled" would seem to indicate that it's detecting USB impedance and/or volts ...which also makes me wonder if there's some defect in a USB hub or other cabling between it and the Macbook Pro, exactly as Don's already suggested.

I'm fairly sure there would have been other indications of a faulty USB port or socket in the MacBook Pro itself.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.