These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

stereo routing problem (I believe its a bug)
by dwolfggc on 2012-07-22 14:23:16

I have an HD500.

One of the things that i like to do is use a reverb or delay on 100% wet and moved to one side of the dual path. I can then put effects on just the trails leave the dry signal clean. I do this on a couple of patches that i use to run direct to FOH. I run these in mono and the hd500 sums the signal.

Yesterday i was creating patch for use as effects only in front of my amp and I only go signal from one side fo the dual path. So, if i put a distrotion on path A it effected my sound but if i moved it to path B then it did not. I was able to fix this by adding a bypassed amp model to the chain.

To summarize: no amp model = stereo signal not summed, amp model (even bypassed) = stereo signal summed.

The problem is (I'm assuming) that the amp model uses DSP resources i dont need to use.

Is this a bug?

Re: stereo routing problem (I believe its a bug)
by phil_m on 2012-07-22 14:37:17

I don't think it's a bug. I think what you're noticing is how the POD handles the signal through different effects and the amp blocks. The amp block will sum anything coming into and output a dual mono signal. Some effects blocks do this, but not all do. Some are true stereo, and if you have them before the split, you'll only get one side of the stereo signal if you don't have input B set to "same". I think this may be why you're not getting anything in Path B.

by dwolfggc on 2012-07-22 18:28:23

Thanks for the reply Phil.

I know that some effects are stereo and some aren't, but I don't think that is what is causing my problem. Try this, open a new patch with no amp model and put a tube driver after the amp block but split the signal and put the pedal on path B. If you are using the left 1/4' out you will hear clean guitar with no distortion. If you move the pedal to path A you will hear distorted guitar as it should sound going through the Tube Driver model. you can do the same thing with any reverb model. Make it 100% wet and in path B after the amp block, as you move it back and forth from A to B you will hear either all reverb and no dry signal or all dry signal and no reverb.

When I created the patch I was working on yesterday, I put the signal split after the amp block and I had nothing after the mixer.

by phil_m on 2012-07-22 20:10:28

How do you have your inputs set? Do you have Input 2 set to "same"?

by dwolfggc on 2012-07-22 20:47:22

Input 2 is set to "variax", setting it to "same" doubles the input gain.

by gortur on 2012-07-23 02:46:25

I had the same problem in a similar scenario, and found that I had to change the input 2 setting to "same". That fixed it! Try it and see if it works.

by gortur on 2012-07-23 03:01:13

Also, in this case, it does'nt really matter that you would get any "extra gain" from the input 2 setting, since that whole signal gets routed to path B, which you use 100% fx wet anyway.

by dwolfggc on 2012-07-23 09:31:25

Thanks gortur, I'll try that and see if it works.

I didn't think about the signal being split at the input, only about it being split within the device.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.