These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

bass through Line 6 Spider IV/ mp3 player
by metalhead227 on 2012-07-24 17:51:25

can i play a bass through my line 6 Spider IV 30 watt?  also will it hurt it to play an mp3 player through it? it has a mp3/cd input so i connect my ipod to it, please explain as i know very little on the subject and it is very important. THANKS

Re: bass through Line 6 Spider IV/ mp3 player
by fflbrgst on 2012-07-25 05:31:25

No, it won't hurt to play an MP3 player through it, or a bass - at moderate or low volume levels.  Remember that the speaker is not designed for bass tones.  Also, some effects will not sound as you expect with low bass tones.

I would not advise cranking up the channel or master volumes with a bass.

by metalhead227 on 2012-07-26 15:54:29

ok thank you, what about just having it play mp3's all day. Would it damage it in any way if I just treated it like a stereo and blasted music through it for hours? Not having the volume cranked all the way, but just enough to shake the room. i don't seem to need to have the guitar plugged in at all for it to play, but maybe that makes it worse, haha i really don't know what the limit is for this thing. Once again it is the Spider IV 30 watt. by the lovely Line 6 of course

by silverhead on 2012-07-26 16:03:14

Playing mp3s all day shouldn't damage the amp at all. Just treat it like you would any other speaker/monitor - avoid volume levels that would cause damage to the speaker (especially at the low end/bass).

by fflbrgst on 2012-07-27 05:11:27

I'm pretty sure you do need a guitar cable (or dummy plug) plugged into the front input in order for sound to come from the MP3 input.  I would not advise to play it at 'room shaking' levels!

by metalhead227 on 2012-07-28 09:27:25

ok its good to hear that i shouldn't be damaging it at all. My final question is if i should be avoiding any specific tones. As an example, Rush or Led Zepplin often use some pretty crazy sounds in their music, also bands like Slayer use some pretty low and gnarly sounding bass and drums. I really can't afford another amp anytime soon and i don't know what i would do without it, so i apologize if i sound like a paranoid crackhead.

by fflbrgst on 2012-07-30 10:52:24

I don't think there is any way you could damage the amp,. however too-low tones at too-high volumes could eventually cause damage to the speaker.

This is a guitar amp - buy a system made for listening to music rather than using the amp!

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.