These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider Valve

Spider Valve or Spider IV?
by TheMetalJason on 2012-07-26 22:14:33

Hello, new member here and I don't know where to post this so please correct me if I'm wrong. I've been looking to get a new amp, a line 6. I've played a spider II and a line 6 bogner head. Right now in my craiglist area there is a spider IV half stack and a spider valve, and I'm torn between the two haha Basically, I would like to hear your guys' opinions on the amps, the similaraties and the differences. Thank you.

Re: Spider Valve or Spider IV?
by joemarshalljmp01 on 2012-07-27 02:47:39

The Spider IV is a stereo amp and sounds really great for home and studio, but if you are playing with a band at loud volumes I would suggest going with the Spider valve for the tubes, If you can get them both you would be very happy!

by cgtrox on 2012-07-29 00:00:51

You might wanna check out  the DT series, too!

cgtrox

by geppert on 2012-07-29 08:31:15

I have both Spider IV-120 and SV212 MKII amps AND a DT25.

If you want the fx in the amp then the Spiders are the way to go. They are definitely less expensive than a DT + POD combination. I agree with Joe's post. For home, the Spider IV would be adequate (and stereo) but for live I'd definitely go wth Spider Valve (mono) ... but YOU need to try both for your own decision.

The DT's are definitley sweet amps. I have a DT25 Head/Cab and it is what I use the most (with a POD). I went with the head/cab instead of a combo to split up the weight.

One thing to remember about the Spiders is that they organize their efx into 4 discreet banks. You cannot use more than one fx per bank at the same time. For example, if you wanted a compressor and a Pitch Glide at the same time you couldn't do it on a Spider amp because they are both in the FX1 bank and you can't use 2 efx from the same bank at the same time. That's one of the reasons I switched to the POD 500. It really depends on how much DSP flexibility you need. Also remember that you need a SV IV or SV MKII for internet firmware upgrades and software editing.

by esibanjack on 2012-07-30 14:38:00

I was not a big fan of the Spider IV HD150 (I assume when you say "half stack" this is what you are referring to). I was pretty happy with the Spider IV 75w I already had, so when my Digitech 2112 took a crap on me I opted to replace it with the HD150. I had it running through a pair of 8ohm cabs and just couldn't get a good sound out of it, especially when I turned it up. It went back to GC a few weeks after I bought it and was replaced with the SpiderValve MKII head……end of tone problems.

Just ask yourself what you are looking for the amp to do. If you are a bedroom rock star and want to go Line6, forget both the HD150 and SV MKII head and check-out the Spider IV 75w. If you have higher aspirations and want to stick with Line6 then you should seriously consider the MKII head.

by mtnman82 on 2012-08-17 15:22:17

If your asking between the spider IV and a spider valve, get the valve hands down.  If you're asking between a head/half stack and a combo, I'd say get the combo (or the head and a small cabinet, like a 1x12 or 2x12).  I've been gigging for over 2 decades, have been playing venues from clubs/bars to fairly big stages, and have yet to find an occasion where I 'need' a half or full stack.  Any of the larger venues will have you mic'ed and going thru a board.  Half/full stacks are mainly for the looks.  I have been considering a 1x12 extension cab for a 3-piece grunge/rock group I've been playing with lately, but I honestly don't 'need' it.

The Spider Valve combo will cut through a mix better than a Spider IV half stack.  I've seen friends try to use the Spider IV's (combo's and half stacks) at gigs and never be happy with them (and they sound like mush in the mix).

by joemarshalljmp01 on 2012-08-17 16:09:44

Agreed, I play my SV combo out and find that it cuts really good, my SV halfestack sits at home mostly for my own entertainment to blast out some Marshall tone or Boogie Rec tones just to get my kicks.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.