These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

When using low tunings 6th string doesnt cut through in a chord
by pauliusmm on 2012-07-31 07:52:36

The sound of 6th string dies very fast when playing chords in baritone tuning. Lets say we play this gmaj7 shape 3x221x - it almost sounds as if the sixth string isnt there at all. Higher strings overpowers this low string. I'd like to make the lower strings louder on low tunings.

Has anyone else got this problem? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks

Re: When using low tunings 6th string doesnt cut through in a chord
by silverhead on 2012-07-31 07:58:28

There is a feature in Workbench that allows you to adjust the relative volume level of individual strings. However, this is a global setting - you can't apply it just to particular tunings - so that may not be what you want.

Just a trivial observation - for me, one of the first signs that my strings need replacing is a volume dropoff on the low strings, beginning with the low E.

by pauliusmm on 2012-07-31 09:28:52

Thanks, i will look into workbench.

I just got this guitar and the strings look all new and shiny, so i think its not a string problem.

by player99 on 2012-07-31 10:19:32

If the strings are being "choked" by hitting frets this can happen as well.

by pauliusmm on 2012-07-31 12:42:57

No, the chord sounds fine when played in normal tuning, but when played in baritone tuning the root note is very silent and it changes the sound of a chord, because now it seems that the root is different. As i said earlier other strings overpowers these low notes.

The lower the pitch - the lower the level of a note. I was also trying to do a split tuning : 2 low strings octave down and all the rest in normal tuning, but stuck with the same problem. Lower notes doesnt cut through.
Message was edited by: pauliusmm

by edstar1960 on 2012-07-31 23:53:37

Could this be due to the Fletcher Munson effect?  The human ear is optimised to hear sounds within a certain mid range sound spectrum - sounds lower or higher have to be amplifed to higher volumes than this range in order for us to perceive them at the same level.  Maybe that is why the low baritone E sounds quieter.  Can you record it in normal and then baritone tuning and then view it via a DAW and see whether the volume is actually the same?  If this is the case then the answer is to apply some EQ to boost the volume of the low end when in baritone - in fact it may be quicker to try the EQ and see if you can balance out the volume that way.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards

Eddie

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.