These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

OT: A video about true versus buffered bypass
by phil_m on 2012-08-02 09:37:10

I debated whether even post this in this forum, but this something that comes up here quite frequently. I think many years of marketing has convinced many guitarists that "true bypass equals good tone", but this video clearly shows that isn't always the case. True bypass has its place, but you probably actually want a decent buffered bypass in your signal chain. If you're only using one device (like a POD) in your chain, you probably would not want it to be a true bypass device.

Re: OT: A video about true versus buffered bypass
by alfmetal70 on 2012-08-02 10:00:38

I can´t watch the video now, but is true, the famous "true bypass" is not so good in every case like much people think. If you use much cables and stompboxes, etc. sure that will be better have a good buffer in the chain.

For example, when I used so much stompboxes I had a buffer for "recovery" signal, and for examples the Boss stompboxes have a buffer.

Your lost the quality from your signal and a good buffer can be an excellent option. If you use 1 or 2 stompboxes maybe not will be necessary, but only maybe.

The problem with the buffer are that someones colour or suck your tone, thank to the bad buffers is famous the true bypass, even if is isn´t so good in all the case, and much people (DIYers) know that the mods to true bypass mean have more money .

That is what I know, and also no every "true bypass" can leave your tone without changes, I had somes stompboxes with true bypass that gave a little colour to my sound, weird but true.

Grettings

by Mr_Arkadin on 2012-08-02 10:16:59

Yeah, I'm definitely on the side of busting the "everything has to be true bypass" myth.

by meambobbo on 2012-08-02 15:04:35

disclaimer - haven't watched the vid yet.

I think each has its place.  given that different devices have different impedances and will respond differently to a signal coming directly from a guitar compared to the signal directly from a buffer, a true bypass can help make the second pedal in your sound as though it was the first when the actual first pedal is disengaged and uses true bypass.  On the other hand, as others have mentioned, you don't want to run through 12 pedals all using true bypass - that's like using a 40 ft cable.  in fact, i think that's one of the main reason EMG and active pickups were created - to output a low impedance rather than high impedance signal from the guitar so longer cable runs would have less tone suck and noise.

by jimsreynolds on 2012-08-02 15:10:24

Many folks seem to use something like a CAE line driver as the first pedal on their board, switched on all the time without boost.  This gives a good quality buffer in front of their True bypass FX. 

I don't need true bypass as an essential in a pedal provided it's buffering is decent.  I have an old crybaby that I am going to attack with a soldering irons sometime soon to improve the bypass but otherwise not bothered.

by Texxxxx on 2012-08-03 04:50:02

Good Info...thanks....

Does the buffered pedal have to be in the last spot for the buffering to help the signal?  For instance, the pedal board I use with my vintage Fender amps ends with a 250K Ernie Ball VIP Jr. volume pedal.  That is unbuffered, of course, and I like having it last, so any OD is still nice and thick, compared to turning down the signal before the OD, which is like turning the volume down on your guitar, which cleans up the OD.

From what I understand, even a Boss TU-3 tuner is buffered.  Anyway, pedalboard setup...Guitar>Line 6 G50> Boss Tu-3 (Buffered)>Behringer Compressor  (I know, but it actually sounds good and I was feeling cheap that day)>CMAT Mods Signa Drive (True Bypass)>MXR chorus>TC Electronics Flashback (buffer switchable and turned on)>Ernie Ball VIP Jr. (250K)>25 ft cord.  PedalTrain Jr. board powered by VooDoo Labs 2 Plus power supply.

Yes, I am using a VooDoo Labs model PPAP current doubler per Line 6 for my G50.

From Line 6 G50/G90FAQ's:

Q: Can I use a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus 2 to power the Relay G50 receiver?

A: Yes, but you will need to use the Voodoo lab "current doubler" cable and you will need to use outputs 5 & 6 of the Pedal Power Plus in "normal" position.  VooDoo model PPAP.

Would it make any difference to route the Flashback after the volume pedal, so as to have a buffered pedal last in the chain?

PedalBoard_3.JPG

PedalBoard_4.JPG

by phil_m on 2012-08-03 06:15:42

The general rule of thumb is that it's most important to put a decent buffer at the beginning of the chain, and then go true bypass later in the chain. If you have other buffered pedals in the chain, it's generally not going to be too bad as long they are well-designed buffers.

by Texxxxx on 2012-08-03 06:19:44

Thanks, Phil, I appreciate the info.

by Karl_Houseknecht on 2012-08-03 10:48:12

phil_m wrote:

The general rule of thumb is that it's most important to put a decent buffer at the beginning of the chain

Yep.  Pete Cornish has been preaching this for a long time.  Put a quality buffer up front in the chain.  Sometimes it's just a Boss tuner, but in his hand built stuff, he has his own proprietary buffer.

http://www.petecornish.co.uk/case_against_true_bypass.html

The one challenge I have with true bypass pedals is popping while switching.  That's where a quality pedal switcher with true bypass loops comes in.

by toneman2121 on 2012-08-04 00:33:33

great!... something new to learn about!   but seriously, a very interesting video. i never understood the controversy between the two designs.

by MGblade on 2012-08-04 01:12:27

interesting, i,m a bit of a noob, but what does all of this mean for let say a hd500 user??

by jimsreynolds on 2012-08-04 01:34:28

Well the HD500 has (good) buffers.  There is a frequent challenge held up that the HD500 (and any other device using a buffered bypass) is a useless piece of tone sucking junk by virtue of the fact that it uses buffers.   This is a fallacy and it is good that people are taking the time to try and break down the orthodoxy that guitarists should opt for true bypass or death.

by bclarke675 on 2012-08-04 07:18:02

This confirms what my ears tell me...my HD300 sounds great!

by MGblade on 2012-08-04 12:55:08

+1 my hd500/dt25 sounds great too

by MGblade on 2012-08-04 13:02:46

a fellow guitarist i our was also told and convinced that effect processors suck tone and sounded fake, until he heard his Gibson les paul trough my hd500/dt25.

no tone sucking, tone explosion.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.