These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Sonic Port / Mobile In

Will Mobile In work with iPhone 5?
by jasondidner1 on 2012-08-02 14:19:39

I'm thinking of buying a Mobile In for my iPad. I'd like to know if it will work with iPhone 5 when it comes out. Numerous reports say iPhone 5 is dropping the 30-pin dock in favor of an 8-pin dock. Will the Mobile In be compatible by way of an adapter? What will that do to the fit of the two products?

Thanks,

Jason

Re: Will Mobile In work with iPhone 5?
by silverhead on 2012-08-02 15:34:30

As you probably know, the current Mobile In product info says this:

Works with iPhone® 4S, iPhone® 4, iPad® (3rd generation), iPad® 2 and iPad®

Line 6 typically does not provide advance info on pending product upgrades. Clearly this particular situation is complicated by the introduction of a new h/w interface with the iPhone 5. Unfortunately, I think we'll just have to wait and see. We'll know it's compatible if and when Line 6 makes an official announcement, and probably not before.

As a general rule I believe one should buy any product based on what it can do today, not on what it might be able to do sometime in the future. Based on that, if  the Mobile In provides sufficeient value to you with your iPad, then purchase it. Don't purchase it if you perceive sufficient value only in its ability to work with iPhone 5.

by aaroncurtis on 2012-09-13 13:41:36

Well here is some info about the connectivity. The iPhone 5 with it "lightening" connector is ALL DIGITAL. There will be an adapter to go from the 30 pin to the "lightening". Now if the "mobile in" utilizes the analog out portion of the 30pin connection, it will not work. The description of the adapter states "Video and iPod Out not supported" It does not mention the "in." Now I know the "mobile in" utelizes the internal speakers and headphone jack of current devices. I would guess it will work but I would also guess we are going to experience some sort of latency problems. Perhaps the info will help someone who knows more about the Line 6 end give us a little more detail on the inner workings of the "mobile in" interface.

by Akamarko on 2013-01-15 12:46:26

I have the iPhone 5 and connect mobile in via Apple's 30 pin to lightning adapter. Works flawlessly.

One thing to note, the 30 pin to lightning adapter can fit into the iPhone 5 in any direction. (Unlike the old 30 pin adapter that only fits one way) I mention this because once you plug the mobile in adapter in, it may block the iPhones headphone jack. Solution is simply unplug from iPhone and flip Apples adapter the other way around.

by Nu2moro on 2013-01-16 09:03:23

Just got iphone5, mobile in works perfectly with the Apple adaptor cable.

Got the cable as opposed to the block connector on the advice from a guitarist on another forum, very good advice! :-)

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.