These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

string volume problem
by BobGreaves on 2012-08-04 16:57:58

I have a JTV-59 purchased June 26 of this year (2012). Everything seemed fine at first and all strings were of a similar volume even when switching between pickups and modeling. But recently the G string has started to sound weak on all models. If I reflash the firmware it returns to normal but only temporarily. Sometimes when Iswitch to a different model the G string suddenly drops back down in volume and nothing seems to restore it except reflashing the firmware. If I use the variax workbench I have to lower the volume of  E A D B and E to .50 and leave G at 1.00 in order for everything to sound balanced again.

This seems to be a software glitch of some sort as the problem does not exist immediately after a reflash but once it occurs cannot be eliminated until reflashing the firmware again temporarily fixes it. And it seems to always kick in the moment I switch to a different model.

What are my options?

Re: string volume problem
by BobGreaves on 2012-08-04 19:31:08

Having read a few other threads I am trying a different approach to see what happens. Currently the flash memory is version 1.82. So I decided to roll iit back to 1.81 and will try to see if that accomplishes a fix. I have verified that after the reflash to 1.82, as soon as I turn it on, the string volume seems equal on all strings but as soon as I change to a different preset the string volume of the G string drops. And when I go back to the initial preset the G string remains at the lower volume.

by BobGreaves on 2012-08-04 20:29:39

I rolled back to 1.81 and then 1.70. Had a few other problems along the way including for a moment everything very very loud. But alas when all settles down the G string is much quieter than the others in modeling mode.

by daveymoss on 2012-08-12 10:22:49

Hi Bob,

Dod yoiu ever solve this problem, i've just bought a jtv and having a similar problem. The g string sounds really weak on some models!

What did you do in the end?

Best,

Dave

by BobGreaves on 2012-09-03 13:38:31

No, I have not solved the problem. However like you I have noticed that it appears on only some models not all.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.