These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: James Tyler Variax Guitars

Support community for JTV.

JTV59 Strap Button fell off & JTV59 fell on stage in the midst of playing!
by dylantan on 2012-08-05 05:26:43

The top strap button was loose and it fell off. My JTV59 dropped to the floor, bottom first.

My G30 got hit first and then the guitar itself. I had accepted and compromised on some of the undesirable things about this guitar before - like the selector knobs not responding promptly, the high E too near the edge, not able to get action low enough, then the G30 battery door (I had to use bicycle tire tubes to hold it in place), and the HD500 power tip not firm enough ... now this!

I have 5 guitars with me at this time, all much older than my JTV59 - never once did I have to worry about those strap buttons!

WHAT CAN I DO TO REPAIR THIS ON MY OWN?

My consolation to myself - I have a worn guitar now!

Re: JTV59 Strap Button fell off & JTV59 fell on stage in the midst of playing!
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-08-05 06:27:18

The first thing I do with all my good guitars is to replace the strap buttons with Schaller strap locks.

http://strap-locks.com/hp135050/Security-Locks.htm?ITServ=C6570034eX138f6e63737XY5d">http://strap-locks.com/hp135050/Security-Locks.htm?ITServ=C6570034eX138f6e63737XY5d">http://strap-locks.com/hp135050/Security-Locks.htm?ITServ=C6570034eX138f6e63737XY5d

Cheers,

Crusty

by phil_m on 2012-08-05 11:31:37

So you're saying the strap button itself came off - as in the screw came out of the whole and everything? I have had a guitar where that happened before. There are a couple ways of going about fixing it. The proper way is to drill the hole out slightly larger than it is, get a dowel rod to fill the hole and glue it in, level it off, and then drill a new hole slightly smaller than the screw.

by Benni2407 on 2012-08-06 01:58:24

I would recommend using epoxyd to fill the hole before drilling a new one into it. That works really, really well and is very durable!

by phil_m on 2012-08-06 06:54:21

That's the other option I was thinking of. I've done that before, but I have reservations about it. It makes it near impossible to remove the screw should someone want to change the strap buttons in the future for whatever reason.

by XCrossroadsX2000 on 2012-08-06 16:33:46

I would avoid using epoxy, just my opnion.

I would either go Phil's method above or fill hole with plastic wood and you can screw right into it.

I've used plastic wood for years never had an issue..

by BigChas52 on 2012-08-07 04:32:09

A quick and dirty method I have used with great success is to lightly coat a toothpick or two with white glue (like Elmer's) and break them off into the screw hole.  Works every time.

by dylantan on 2012-08-07 18:45:50

Got this reply from Mike McGovern, Technical Support of Stewart MacDonald, www.stewmac.com

--- We would recommend you plug the hole with a dowel and redrill it to match your specific screw. Thanks for chipping in guys!

by elt97mjn on 2012-08-08 15:47:13

Here's a thought though. You might consider checking the condition of your guitar once in awhile, whether it's a variax or any other guitar.
Checking the jacks, the pots or any other part of the guitar that's under any form of stress.

Poor maintenance is the death of ANY mechanical or electric device. I've seen plenty enough of that during my +25 years of being a sound engineer.

Cyaz Mike

by Jag_Jones on 2012-08-15 12:57:12

Agree. The most common thing I find on most guitars, new or old, are loose strap knobs. I rarely find a new guitar that doesn't have one, or both knobs loose. Definately, they work loose over time on many guitars. I generally check the knobs and pots whenever I change strings. Only takes a minute or two extra.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.