These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: Spider IV/Spider Online

Spider II - HD 150 Volume Drops
by dkmccreight on 2012-08-07 17:21:10

Hello,

I just acquired a Spider II HD150 head and I am having an issue with the volume significantly dropping while playing. I am connecting the head (8 ohms) to an Ampeg slant cab (16 ohms) using 2 speaker cables to each jack. When I first power it on, it sounds great. But after playing for approx 5 - 10 minutes, the volume will drop. If I have the Master volume up around 3 or 4, the drop basically silences the amp completely. When this happens, i will crank up the Master pretty high to allow the jams to continue, but at some point, the amp will regain its power and almost blow my head off. Very annoying! The amp will maintain its volume for a short period of time, but eventually it drops again. I have replaced the cables to no avail. Anyone have any thoughts as to what might cause this to happen and if there is anything I can do to fix this issue?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: Spider II - HD 150 Volume Drops
by fflbrgst on 2012-08-08 07:26:06

Is it possible that vibrations are causing the channel volume knob to move?  If you were using a preset sound and the knob moved, 'waking it', the volume would drop to the level where the knob is pointing to.  A loose control pot is the actual culprit, not the knob itself, but putting something under the knob (like an o-ring) can tighten it up so that it doesn't turn from vibration.

This doesn't explain the volume increase, though, unless the knob is vibrating to a higher volume setting.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.