These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD HD

Support forums for all POD HD products

Line 6 HD 500 direct to mixing board
by Arael on 2012-08-09 01:46:12

Hello guys,

this is my first post so be gentle

I bought HD 500 ten days ago although I play with Valve amps and analog pedals for the past 12 years. I am new to the digital technology stuff.

I bought the POD mostly for home recording and live perfomances so that I dont have to carry my stack and my pedals for every single gig I play.

I connected the POD on the mixing board through 1/4 and XLR jacks set the I/O to direct and alltough my clean sounds sound fine my distortion

sounds more like analog pedals direct to the board with a bad D/I or something. Any sollutions for that?

I searched the forum learned some things but I want to make sure I solve this cause tommorow I have a gig and I am too lazy to carry my

Marshall. Plx plx help.

Oh and because I am a beginer please do the "Direct playing for Dummies" course.

Thanks in advance and sorry for my poor english if I've made any mistakes

Re: Line 6 HD 500 direct to mixing board
by Crusty_Old_Rocker on 2012-08-09 03:26:54

There's two sides of the coin when going direct, what the POD's putting out and what's done with that at the FOH.  A good sound engineer will help get the POD sounding great, but from your end, you'll need to get the tone sounding right at gigging volume levels.  Clean tones are more forgiving when you put some real volume behind them but the high gain tones can turn nasty.  First thing to try is backing off the gain on the high gain stuff, it can still sound killer with a lot less distortion in the tone.  If you're patches are not too FX heavy, try running a semi clean tone with the high gain tone, it's like tracking guitars in the studio.  Also play with the cab settings and if you want, try increasing the bias and/or reducing the master on the deep editing parameters for the modelled power amp.  The power amps are modelled at full bore which means the power amp and crossover distortion characteristics are very present in the amp tone.  That's fine if you play that particular real amp fully cranked, but if you don't then it's not going to sound the same.

Give those things a try and see how you go.

Cheers,

Crusty

by Astaroth_CY on 2012-08-09 06:54:40

Download a few of these patches and try them out in your setup:

http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneDemo/

Listen">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneDemo/">http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneDemo/

Listento the audio samples. You should sound pretty similar to that when you use those patches. If you don't, you're doing something wrong with your setup. If they do sound good, then you just need to read up on how to construct a good patch, it is not straightforward. Meambobbo's guide is fantastic for this.

by chimp_spanner on 2012-08-10 09:48:30

I can vouch for the sound quality of the HD500 direct to desk. Just finished a N. American tour using it in that way and it sounded consistently great out front. Now...the sound *I* heard was entirely dependent on the stage monitors and the guy mixing them. Most times it sounded great but there were one or two gigs where the sound through the wedges was terrible because the wedges were terrible. So the best thing to do is stand out front and check your tone from the main PA. If it sounds fine there you might just have to put up with the sound you get on stage unless you can afford your own monitoring solution (some kind of powered full range speaker would be ideal).

This is assuming everything is set up right on your HD of course :)

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.