These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: StageScape M20d Mixer Community Support

Wifi and DHCP?
by eklynx on 2012-08-10 12:48:10

Is the mixer supposed to give out DHCP addresses?   I just got an AE1000, the mixer see it, and the iPad sees the mixer as an access point, but when I try to connect to the mixer the iPad doesn't get an IP from DHCP (defauls back to a 169.254.x.x address).   Because of this, the iPad doesn't think it has a valid network connection and never sees the mixer.

I will note that it as a 'new' ipad (ipad3) and  is using the newest iOS 6 beta 4, but other networks work just fine.

-Edgars

Re: Wifi and DHCP?
by TheRealZap on 2012-08-10 12:56:07

no the mixer isn't supposed to do that... it's a wifi connection not a point to point connection. your wifi router is supposed to take care of that.

by eklynx on 2012-08-10 13:33:51

How does it know which router to connect to? I just see Unit Name (the name of the mixer),  Wireless Channel, and Security Pin;  I don't see anything in terms of connecting to an AP or entering a password.

Also, the System Settings document listed in the resources (http://l6c.scdn.line6.net/data/6/0a06434d0d7a501c961d219d9/application/pdf/file.pdf)">http://l6c.scdn.line6.net/data/6/0a06434d0d7a501c961d219d9/application/pdf/file.pdf">http://l6c.scdn.line6.net/data/6/0a06434d0d7a501c961d219d9/application/pdf/file.pdf)also specifies that the Mixer is its own endpoing either making it an AP itself, or a peer-to-peer connection type.

by TheRealZap on 2012-08-10 13:40:49

I was only drawing on my networking experience in general, I'll leave the answers to those with more specific knowledge on the mixer, but i would be incredibly surprised if the mixer passes out IP addresses.

by eklynx on 2012-08-10 14:47:19

I would have thought that too.  I would've liked to have a choice to be able to connect to another AP or make its own peer-to-peer network; this way there's no way to have an internet connection and a wifi connection to the mixer unless you go the usb->ethernet adapter wired to an AP or wifi-ethernet bridge of some sort.

by eklynx on 2012-08-12 14:38:46

OK, just tried it with my girlfriend's iPad1 (iOS 5) and it connected, but after about 2 min, it couldn't find the mixer anymore. 

But it looks like it doesnt hand out any IP addresses.

So something with the new iOS beta is preventing the iPad from looking on the wifi network, probably because it isnt registering a network. Looks like i use the ethernet dongle and an external access point :/

by Vettaville-nl on 2012-09-04 15:12:28

I just tried it on mine and I'm on the os 5.1.1. on an ipad1 and connectig fine.

Go to the info page on the M20d, then select systems settings, ow you'll see '3 labels'stagescape as unit name, wirless channel (selectable channels via pull down) and Security PIN.

Now go to your ipad, setting and wifi, see if it 'finds'your stagescapem20d and select it there, see if it connects (mine does)

Now open up the m20d app on your ipad, tap connect and enter the security PIN, now it should connect

hope it helps

- Hans

by ArneLine6 on 2012-09-04 15:32:10

The easiest way to connect the M20d, with a wifi dongle, is an ad- hoc connection.

The iOS 6 beta in combination with an iPad 3 has issues with ad- hoc connections.

Another way to connect the M20d with an iPad is to use an USB to Ethernet adapter and any router with active DHCP (practically any). This is a workaround for the iOS 6 beta - iPad3 issue.

by eklynx on 2012-09-05 14:09:24

That's what i've resigned to doing for now.  It's still happening in Beta 4; i'm hoping it wont be happening in the release (which is expected soon) as I'd love to not need to take up yet another power slot for the airport express I'm using.

by sebelkin on 2012-09-14 13:31:57

Seems to work now directly with ios6 gold master and Enginious EUB9801 dongle.

by ArneLine6 on 2012-09-14 14:15:07

We have tested this and confirm that iOS 6 and iPad3 now work with ad- hoc networks.

by blomasky on 2012-09-15 04:39:22

as a computer weenie I strongly suggest that you get a small router and use that for your connection to the ipad.  The only disadvantages are:

Cost:  about 100 buckos

Size:  a little bigger than the wifi stick

Power:  Yes it does need electricity

Pros: 

You can use 2.4 and/or 5 Gig channels (less interference with 5 gig)

Better antenna = better range

If at a facility with wired internet (hotel?) can plug wan connection into venue internet which allows Ipad to be on internet while connected to StageScape and perhaps greater distance

Much more reliable.  My tests show IPad always connects this way.  It sometimes is not happy when using ad-hoc.

bruce

by Dougdrums on 2012-09-16 03:43:40

I Was using a cheap wifi router and the iPad contacted really fast, but the range wasn't so good.  So , I bought the suggested Enginious EUB9801 dongle,  for some reason my iPad 2 takes a long time to find the Ss , sometimes I need to force the app closed and try again. Which is disappointing as I spend about 50 dollars on the dongle.

by blomasky on 2012-09-16 12:37:07

I bought the shiny new airport express.  I like it cause I can control it via the ipad (with the free airport utility).  Also, with the 1/8" audio out (which i connect to input 17/18, I can have airplay used when an artist is using an iphone / ipad  or any ITunes program to wireless tream the audio.  (ok, I admint, I like apple products a "tad"

bruce

by eklynx on 2012-09-16 13:05:05

I went the same way.  I do miss the profile switcher that the older express used to have.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.