These forums are read only, please use our new forums here.

Main :: POD Farm / POD Studio / TonePort

Dropouts while recording
by imannoyed on 2012-08-13 10:03:23

I have a toneport UX2 & my setup is a toshiba satelitte c655 i3 processor & 8gb of ram. I use samplitude producer 11.5 as a DAW.

I am having severe dropouts when I try to record my guitar & vocals at same time. I just want to do a live recording. I have changed my toneport settings to the lowest quality to see if that helps but I am still having the same problem. I have latest drivers etc.

I also tried doing the same in audacity with the same outcome

I am considering reformatting my laptop & only having a DAW installed on windows. (use ubuntu for internet & other stuff etc...)

Before i go down that road though is there anything I can try?

Can you make Win 7 hardware profiles where the only thing starting up/running is for audio recording ?

Its getting frustrating as everytime I feel creative, for whatever reason Im getting let down by the technology. I tried pod farm but it seems to hate my setup so Im back to gearbox, but still got the massive drop outs.

Please help folks !!

Re: Dropouts while recording
by Triryche on 2012-08-13 10:31:53

Are you selecting the Line6 UX2 ASIO as you device in Samplitude?

(I do not think you can do this in Audacity, last time a check it was not ASIO compatible).

And there is a bunch of info here, including optimizing Windows for Audio Recording.

by TheRealZap on 2012-08-13 10:52:58

try getting slim drivers (google it) free and it will check for updated drivers specific to your machine... often times finding motherboard driver updates ect that play a huge part...

by imannoyed on 2012-08-13 14:58:14

Yes i am doing this... I have optimised windows, deactivated services anti virus etc. but its still doing same in samplitude & audacity. It worked fine on my old xp desktop dual core with 2gb ram.... it may just be a toneport/win 7 compatibility error ...

I dont know what to try next though.

by imannoyed on 2012-08-13 15:00:58

All my system drivers are up to date as well.....I may have to downgrade to XP or something, i dont want to do that... but not sure what to do next. As a side note my friend has a mac with similar spec & he can rec 8 tracks at once with no issues..... with a UX8

by Triryche on 2012-08-13 15:12:29

Sorry I forgot the link

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4282

there">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4282">http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-4282

thereis a lot of things to try.

But Windows 7 is not necessarily the issue.

Many users, including myself, are running this on Win 7 without issues.

by imannoyed on 2012-08-13 15:24:07

ok will try link when the line 6 comes back online... hopefully i can do this.

Does anyone else succesfully record with toneport & laptop?

I am also running in high performance mode ... I dont know what else to tweak.

I am not doing any complex stuff, just recording 2 tracks live....

by imannoyed on 2012-08-13 15:29:26

i will try what i can on this link... thanks. hopefully this can get resolved.

by TheRealZap on 2012-08-13 16:01:10

everyone thinks their drivers are up to date... but who thinks to get a driver for their northbridge or pci bus?

slimdrivers finds those forgotten things on your motherboard as well as everything else... worth looking into.

by imannoyed on 2012-08-13 16:23:24

Hi, I have slim drivers on my pc. I have all my drivers up to date. I will keep using gearbox for the time being as its not as painful as pod farm but still dropping out, i will miss the layout though.

if its any difference when i listen back to what i recorded its not like a pop (at the time i hear pop & almost like a slowdown) or anything but more like a cd skipping, where a chunk of song is missing & it jumps.

I will keep trying though as i do like pod farm.

Its just a bit disheartening when you get an idea for a song & the pc lets you down...

Any time I have tried recently, I spend about 20mins going through the hardware settings etc, I can rarely get through 1 take without some sort of error happening.

I have tried also using  a mic in the onboard soundcard, this seems to work fine, but its poor quality & no real use if I cant use gearbox or farm.

Thanks for all your help folks its much appreciated, I will check my usb settings on laptop also as there may be something in there i have missed.

The information above may not be current, and you should direct questions to the current forum or review the manual.